Studio First studio shoot, critique needed.

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
I just did my first client studio shoot, I'm new to PP studio work so I'm not sure if I got the balance of exposure etc right.
On the original files I used way to much power on the studio heads so had to do a lot of burning on the body to correct that but not sure if it's ok, opinions welcome!

Staffy Shoot by Chris Jackman, on Flickr

Staffy shoot by Chris Jackman, on Flickr

Now I've uploaded them I can definitely see streaks where I've burnt the file a bit rough so I'm off to correct that but apart from that are the images ok?

I don't how how much you had to pay to have him stand still…

Whites burnt
Black too deep
Contrast waaaay too high…
I would very much like to see the RAW of this image!

I don't how how much you had to pay to have him stand still…

Whites burnt
Black too deep
Contrast waaaay too high…
I would very much like to see the RAW of this image!

The dog was on a lead which I cloned out

I'll post the raw later as I don't have access to it at the moment but I'll warn you the original image is pretty bad technically. It was at a halloween event with funny lighting, fog machines etc and I used too much light so the dogs chest is "faded" which is why I had to darken and burn it, maybe a bit too much.
The background was grey with a lot of shadows because the floor below wasn't solid meaning the dog was crumbling the paper and I'm new to studio lighting so I didn't get it right I'm sure so any help with that would help too.

I'll post the raw later…
I would normally recommend to never send out RAW files as that are
the original "negative"
Anyway, you seem to be quite aware of the difficulties you faced and
I shall presume you already have some solutions for your next attempt!
Gook luck!

Last edited:
I would normally recommend to never send out RAW files as that are
the original "negative"
Anyway, you seem to be quite aware of the difficulties you faced and
I shall presume you already have some solutions for your next attempt!
Gook luck!

I'll water mark it so it cant be stolen... I defineitly need to rework the image though :)

Was the client happy?
That's what really matters.
Sorry I can't offer any crit, but I tend to look at a photo as a photo, possibly from a non photographers perspective, so don't tend to "see" a lot of the faults that others do.
Whereas others may say they're not great, I'd say they're not bad.

Last edited:
Back