Critique first studio shoot with my kids please critique

Name
Liam Smith
Edit My Images
Yes
this is the first shoot that i have done in my home studio your comments would be greatly appreciated
rov8Lq

sidjkE

sidjkE

skvnQt

Welcome to the board Liam. Few comments for you...

1. Some weird marks on the back wall are really distracting and the crop is a little odd. She's a little too close to the side and you've got some space beside him to play with.
2. Again, some distracting marks on the background. You've also blown the right side of his face. Cute pic though :)
3. Chopped off toes and hands. Slightly better lighting but like the others they're all just a bit flat.........

:welcome:

Edit: just fired that off quickly. If it sounds arsey it's because it's midnight here and I need to get some kip. Would be good to get some context to these?? Are they family. Are you trying to improve to make a living from photography etc etc...

Last edited:
yea those wired marks i could not understand why they was there because to look at the backdrop you could not see anything

I'd say composition is letting you down a little bit. Missing hands/feet/etc. Even on the second one where you have everyone in frame, the wife's (?) foot is sticking up out of his shoulder. Good news is that that is all really easy to fix next time. Just take a little more care with the composition and it'd massively improve the shots :)

I'd say composition is letting you down a little bit. Missing hands/feet/etc. Even on the second one where you have everyone in frame, the wife's (?) foot is sticking up out of his shoulder. Good news is that that is all really easy to fix next time. Just take a little more care with the composition and it'd massively improve the shots :)

This.

The first time I shot in a studio my photos were absolutely s***e. They got torn to pieces on here (rightly so) and I learned a hell of a lot very quicklly!

i used at umbrella to light the subject and a off camera flash to light the backdrop at my other light build had been broken it transit

To add to the above, might be easier when starting out to shoot one person at a time......that might be a bit controversial?

Does give you the chance to nail the lighting and expressions/interaction.

S

I think your subjects are to close to the backdrop and they are starting to cast shadows which are the marks on the BG. Also you have to be careful using just one flash to light your BG as its pretty easy to create a gradient instead of just white BG.

Cheers

Simon

Welcome to the board Liam. Few comments for you...

1. Some weird marks on the back wall are really distracting and the crop is a little odd. She's a little too close to the side and you've got some space beside him to play with.
2. Again, some distracting marks on the background. You've also blown the right side of his face. Cute pic though :)
3. Chopped off toes and hands. Slightly better lighting but like the others they're all just a bit flat.........

Got to agree you need to take control of the whole process so do lots more try with just one main light see what it does.

All the best

Thats a good point, you can get some excellent results from just one light and its an easier learning curve with just one light. I much prefer the single light set up.

Cheers

Simon

Back