First Teleconverter so which one?

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just bought the Nikon 80-400 AF-S and love it it's amazingly sharp but just fancy a little more length so I've decided I'm going for a TC

I've had a quick look on line and had a quick read but just looking for some advice! I feel it silly going for the mk2 which the mk3 is out there and presumably better so basically anyone who's had them

Is it worth paying the extra for the mk3 over the mk2?

I'm slightly torn over the 1.4 and 2.0 but my gut feeling will be the 1.4

Thanks

If you can afford it, I'd go for the mk3. (provided it's attached to f/8-compatible camera body)

Don't think the 1.7 or 2x TC's can be used.

Here is the review page from Mansurov: https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-80-400mm-vr/3

You will see that the 2.0 t/c does not allow AF & the 1.7 t/c is borderline.

"Personally, I would mostly use the 80-400mm without any teleconverters, and only resort to the TC-14E II when dealing with very distant subjects. The Nikon TC-17E II can maintain autofocus in very good light, but the AF accuracy suffers greatly. Since there is too much image degradation with the TC-17E II and TC-20E III TCs, you will probably be better off cropping images with the TC-14E II than using those teleconverters."

From Nikon UK: http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/p...x/zoom/af-s-nikkor-80-400mm-f-4-5-5-6-g-ed-vr

"AF with teleconverter: AF works even when a 1.4x teleconverter is attached to an f/8-compatible camera."

Last edited:
Given the 80-400 will become f/8 at the longest end with a 1.4x tc, I wouldn't wanna push it any further before the AF would become hopeless.

Having never used the new 80-400 I couldn't say if a Teleconverter would work or not. The 1.4 TC reduces light by 1 stop and the 2x TC by 2 stops. Your 80-400 with 1.4 TC becomes f8, anything above that is not really worth it as AF becomes rubbish and iq suffers.

Teleconverters are not a magic solution, there are disadvantages to them. They reduce the aperture and generally affect IQ. They are really designed for fast primes like f2.8 and maybe f4. I've used all of the nikon Teleconverters on a 300 f2.8 and the 1.4/2x TCs worked well. Now I use a 200-400 f4 I only have 1.4 TC that I don't use very often. I now crop instead. I did write a blog entry about the 300 f4 and the d7100 with and without a 1.4 TC. There wasn't too much difference except file size.

Here is Nikons Teleconverter Compatibility Chart. Another point using the 1.4tc on the 80-400 would be whether you really want to have an aperture of f8 or slightly less if you stop it down slightly. The problem using teleconverters is the extra 1 stop lose of light on a 1.4 TC can mean either a 1stop slower shutter speed or 1 stop higher ISO.

The d750 is 24mp so it still has room for cropping. I did a comparison on a blog post on my website (it can be found here). I compared images taken with a nikon d7100 (24mp sensor) and 300mm f4 lens with and without a 1.4 teleconverter. Without the teleconverter the image was full size at 24mp, cropped to the equivalent view without a teleconverter of 12mp which is still big enough for printing or web viewing. I'm not sure if the mp count would be slightly lower because it would be 400mm to 560mm equivalent crop compared to 300mm to 420mm.

Back