Beginner First Telephoto Lens for Canon

Name
Roy
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Canon 750D, 18-55 kit lens and 50mm Mk 2.
I want to get a Telephoto 70-300 but am limited to c£200.
Looked at a set of reviews and it looks like th Tamron SP DI VC USD (used) would be the best choice.
Would be used for Landscape and Wildlife Photography.
Views?

If you could afford a little more I would suggest the 55-250 ef-s, I dont have one but by all accounts it's a very good lens. Maybe consider second hand from a decent retailer (Wex, Mpb, Parks etc) as they will offer a guarantee.

Thanks Mat. MPB have it for £130 used.
Tried my nephew's Canon 70-300 Mk 1 and loved it. Not sure I can lose the extra 50mm

Thanks Mat. MPB have it for £130 used.
Tried my nephew's Canon 70-300 Mk 1 and loved it. Not sure I can lose the extra 50mm
My other half has a 70-300mm II and it gives excellent results and focusing is instantaneous. The 55-250 STM is still a very good lens though.

Thanks Glenn,

Looked for a Used Canon Mk 2 but couldn't find one within my price range.

Roy

I have the Canon 70-300 IS Mk1 (not the most recent Mk2) and though the image quality is ok, it's not as fast to focus as the newer lenses like the Tamron 70-300 VC (or the Canon 55-250 STM).
Price wise, looking second hand, the Canon 70-300 IS should be around £160 for a decent condition one, the Tamron should be around £150 or 180 for a boxed near mint copy.
Just for focus speed I'd go for the Tamron or Canon 55-250 STM.

Thanks, Alistair.

After going through as many comparative reviews as I could find I've decided on the Tamron. Managed to picked up a boxed near mint for £165 ☺

Back