First telescope for astrophotography.

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
There seems to have been a lot more astophotography going on round here lately, along with the recent skywatch programme it has given me a bit of an itch that wont go away. So I think I need to do something about it.

I have been looking at some sites, and this seems to get very good alround reviews for a beginner. But can it be used for photography?

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/te...ewtonianreflectors/explorer130incramotor.html

I am familiar with refractor type scoped having a camera attached, as it is basically just a conventional camer lens. But can you attach a camera to a reflector scope?

What do you want to take photos of?

Yes, you can use that to take photos of things (it has a right ascension drive) BUT (and it's a big but) you will run into the following issues:

• The mount isn't sturdy enough to do long exposure photography. The mount is 90% of getting a good photograph. Look at HEQ5 or better which means £600+ on the mount alone.
  • You will probably need to mod the 'scope slightly, as most reflectors don't have the correct backfocus adjustment. This normally means moving the mirror up the tube a bit to get focus on the chip.
  • Focusing will be very difficult with that eyepiece holder and a DSLR
  • Both your 1D and 5D will be too heavy for the mount/focus system (and possibly for the tripod!)
  • Ability to get good deep space photos is dependent on critical polar alignment and precision drive to track across the sky. This isn't cheap (well, the polar alignment is if the equipment is up to it).
  • Depending on where you live, light pollution may be a real problem
  • It will cost thousands to get photos like those shown on Skywatch
  • A good place for further reading (and some stunning photos) is: http://www.stargazerslounge.com

Last but not least, astrophotography makes land photography look like spending loose change....

:agree: with what Andy said... but before you buy anything for AP, get yourself http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

a very worthwhile investment.

Probably a very good starting point is something like a Skywatcher 80ED, on an HEQ5. (I use the Celestron equiv of the 80ED). But the mount is key... you can buy the worlds best telescope, but if the mount can't hack it, you'll not get anywhere.

Me and a friend have just ordered a telescope to get some pictures of nebulas hes doing a gcse in astronomy im only really intrested in the photography side of things

He bought a skywatcher refractor with a goto mount cost 800 altho not sure on the model

Im not sure you going to get anything decent with the amount you want to spend

Understood. I did clock that the mount was said to be good on the one I linked to, but I guess that is for the scope alone and all changes one you add on a big heavy camera.

Much more research to be done before I jump into anything. Thanks

Also our local shop does a deal if you buy a telescope and want to upgrade it within a year they will buy it back for about 90% you paid for it

Dave, the EQ2 is fine for visual, but the motors lack the precision for longer focal length (with a telescope) deep sky work. If you're running at 50mm to 100mm say, you'll get some lovely wide fields, then you'd probably be good for 2 to 3 minute exposures with the eq2. For longer than that (and you will want to go longer on both exposure time and focal length) you have to have a mount that has decent quality drive mechanisms and the ability to be guided (second scope, second camera and a bundle of cables). That adds weight and a chunk of electronics to the mount. I have an HEQ5, and as a guiding test, I normally perform a 20 minute exposure at a minimum of 1200mm and I'd expect not to have trailed stars after that.

Is that Astronomia Martyn ?

Thanks for your help guys. That 80ED scope looks good. Not immediately affordable, but not too bad with a bit of saving. But the total cost including a decent mount is means it is comming in above other priorities, which I cannot do at the moment.

Looks like this idea is one that will have to be shelved for now, and hopefully can come back too once I am a bit more flush.

Looks like this idea is one that will have to be shelved for now, and hopefully can come back too once I am a bit more flush.
Best to do that rather than get really frustrated with the darned thing and only use it once.

Probably a very good starting point is something like a Skywatcher 80ED, on an HEQ5.
Just looked at FLOs site John. Seems HEQ5 and HEQ5PRO Syntrek have been discontinued. Usable entry level has now moved to the £750 HEQ5 Pro Synscan :eek:

PS. Hello :wave: long-time-no-speak :)

Astrofest is on next weeked. A great chance to see loads of gear and chat with people keen on selling of much of it as possible to you.

Yeah I spotted that Andy... I guess the other option would be on astro buy and sell for a second hand HEQ5 after someone has upgrade to the eq6.

Hiya ;)

Back