First thoughts on the Nikon 18-300 lens

Name
Eric
Edit My Images
Yes
My new toy turned up this morning, and I've taken it out for a walk around. I had already bought a more comfortable camera strap in anticipation of the weight of the new lens, and it felt perfectly OK on my D7000. I didn't come home with a sore neck.

The lens is very nice to handle. Zooming is very smooth, and focusing is fast and effective (and quiet). At the wide angle end of the range there is some red/green chromatic aberration at the edges, but I could correct this in processing the raw image (using Corel AfterShot Pro). Contrast and colour seems good.

Obviously these are only first impressions, but it looks as though this lens will be the one I use most of the time.

Got mine last week but was away all weekend and didn't get a chance to use it. Did take one trip out at night last week. Weight was fine on the D5100, although my little 785B tripod doesn't cut the mustard anymore. The body/lens combo is still a lot lighter and more compact than my friend's D700+28-300 setup.

Was very impressed with the zoom range, although hard to judge sharpness as a) it was at night and b) the aformentioned inadequate tripod. Might take it to the races tonight for a few shots.

Three pictures to start with: the same view at three different focal lengths, all shot at f/8:

18 mm

95 mm

300 mm

I haven't tried it wide open yet, but I'll do so very soon (when it stops raining).

Back