First Time Air Show Photography

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
These are a few shots from a private air show at Cambridge Airport on Sunday. The show was part of the 100th anniversary celebrations for Marshall's, who are one of the largest employer's in Cambridge and have been involved in aviation from the early days. They even carried out an repair service for the RAF during WW2.

Shots were all taken with a 40D and 70-200 F2.8L USM. Any constructive C&C is welcome. Thanks for looking.

1. Hurricane

3941327284_5780c4e91c_o.jpg

2. Vampire/ Venom ?

3940547615_e669e096ce_o.jpg

3. Vampire/ Venom

3940547695_f71260ac61_o.jpg

4. B17 Sally B (Memphis Belle)

3941327614_35ebf7d8df_o.jpg

5.Red Arrows

3941327804_e94d120f25_o.jpg

Very nicely Done. Well composed, and exposed images. A little more prop blur would have helped. Some of my favorite war birds there! If I had to choose one, then the B-17 would do it for me.

Glen.

Last edited:
All nicely done. And the Sally B I would rate as one of the best ones to be seen here on TP this display season.

Not a bad set for a first attempt.That Sally B is a stunner and would have been a right corker if you had a bit more rotar blur. :clap::clap:

A nice set. I think the lack of prop blur in this instance actually adds drama to that particular shot! She really does look like she's in trouble!

Kev.

That B17 would be good framed and hanging on a wall

Great set, I did wonder if any would show up on TP. I had some family members attending the air show, and saw the Red Arrows show from my front room window. Made me smile when I saw that the Red Arrows were listed as giving a display at a 'private air show' most of the population Cambridge must have seen the Arrows performing, not so private! :D

The 'Sally B' shots is TERRIFIC !

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I have to go against the grain here. The B17 is indeed a nice capture but I'm personally not a fan of the 'halo' that surrounds the aircraft, to me it just looks a little bit too 'fake' (a little manipulation can look good if done a little less though). Perhaps try a black and white version to give it a more 'arty' appearance that won't show it so noticeably? The frozen blades are also undesirable, your best bet is to try and select a slower shutter speed next time. It's a nice capture otherwise. :)

The angles on the first three aren't ideally in aviation photography but technically they are fine, perhaps a tighter crop but otherwise very good. For your first attempt these are a very good start, be sure to keep learning and try new things and I'm sure you'll be getting some superb shots.(y)

P.S - Oh and at all costs AVOID the dreaded Shadlows/Highlights tool in PS at all costs. Many the aviation photographer, new and old has ruined good shots over-using that tool!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments guys. At least I know I heading in the right direction in a totally new photographic direction. Still prefer portraiture though!!

The B17 is very evocative with the smoke. Aslo nice and sharp and good light.

A tiny bit more pro blur would be good.

stez the lancaster i just showed was from that display do you work at marshalls? or just a road side togger?

Brilliant set of pictures. I agree with most others here that the B17 is excellent but I'm also a huge fan of the Hurricane.

Last edited:
awesome pics thanks for sharing them!:clap: (y)

stez the lancaster i just showed was from that display do you work at marshalls? or just a road side togger?

I was part of the Nissansportz display of 350Z's and GTR's. Luckly I was one of the orange ones that not next to the food queues!!:LOL:

I was part of the Nissansportz display of 350Z's and GTR's. Luckly I was one of the orange ones that not next to the food queues!!:LOL:

not the 1 with the monkey driving? lol

Back