First time at the football

Edit My Images
Yes
Ok so yesterday was my first attempt at football.
This was only practice for when my sons league starts on sunday, shortly after starting i realised my lens wasnt all that great (sigma 70-300 4 - 5.6) i needed something faster as i was struggling with shutter speed so a lot of the pics are soft, i should also have taken a pen and paper as a few people asked for copies and a few other things i thought may help.

Anyway here are a few of the pics (more on flickr) believe it or not theses are the better ones lol, but one thing for sure is i enjoyed the experience and once i have a better lens and a few other bits i think i will enjoy it either more

DSC_0197 by mathew whitlock, on Flickr

DSC_0228 by mathew whitlock, on Flickr

DSC_0265 by mathew whitlock, on Flickr

DSC_0474 by mathew whitlock, on Flickr

DSC_0557 by mathew whitlock, on Flickr

and my personal favourite, not sure if he is exercising or had a dodgy curry

DSC_0506 by mathew whitlock, on Flickr

SIT DOWN!!!!!!!

Always take field sports from a low position.. get a stool or somehting... same pictures from low angle much better

SIT DOWN!!!!!!!

Always take field sports from a low position.. get a stool or somehting... same pictures from low angle much better

Kipax your right, and i do have a stool, but i left it at home, ive put it in the car now so it will be there everytime.

Your exif shows you were at ISO100. If your shutter speed is too low (1/500) then UP the iso. Also were you shooting on Auto mode? If so, then please get familiar with modes like TV, AV and Manual to get better pics.

Your exif shows you were at ISO100. If your shutter speed is too low (1/500) then UP the iso. Also were you shooting on Auto mode? If so, then please get familiar with modes like TV, AV and Manual to get better pics.

thanks for the reply

no i never shoot in auto mode, these were done in aperture priority, i didnt realise that 1/500 or 1/250 was not fast enough.
next time i will be in manual mode and set it to 1/1000, do you think that will be enough?

cheers

mat

thanks for the reply

no i never shoot in auto mode, these were done in aperture priority, i didnt realise that 1/500 or 1/250 was not fast enough.
next time i will be in manual mode and set it to 1/1000, do you think that will be enough?

cheers

mat

I tend to use shutter priority to ensure I always keep the shutter speed up. I would suggest that the problem you may have in manual is that you're going to be constantly adjusting the aperture in order to expose correctly and you may well miss significant moments because of it. Whereas if you are in shutter priority, all you need to do is keep the speed up and the camera will adjust the aperture for you.

I agree with Kipax regarding shooting angle - sound advice.
However, I have occasionally got very dynamic shots whilst standing. This is generally by accident though caused by me standing up to stretch my ageing legs just as the action comes my way! I shoot kids' footy and shooting eight year olds in action just in front of me whilst standing can give an almost bird's eye view of things.

I would suggest that the problem you may have in manual is that you're going to be constantly adjusting the aperture in order to expose correctly .
this only happens if a) the light is constantly changing or b) thers lots of shadows on the pitch.... otherwse with a perfect overcast day or a clear sky then manual is best.. as we cant know the lighting conditions then ? :)

I tend to go manual 1/1000.> and F2.8 and set a threshold on the ISO and let the camera (Nikon)do the work

Last edited:
I tend to go manual 1/1000.> and F2.8 and set a threshold on the ISO and let the camera (Nikon)do the work

this is what i was thinking of doing next time i go, which will be tomoz for a under 10 match then sunday for a under 9 and a senior match later on.
cant wait to get the 70-200 2.8 and try that out

It's hateful when the sun is blasting on one half of the pitch and the other half in shade. All fun and games I suppose. I do like shooting in the rain I must say.

I think that the cropping on all these shots has to be a lot tighter and selective.

Back