First time buyer Canon EOS 500D or 550D

Edit My Images
No
I'm a first time buyer for a digital SLR (have always been a point and shoot user). My brother who's a bit more into photography has a Canon EOS 350D that he got second hand. I want to be able to share some equipment and lenses with him so I've decided to go with Canon and stick to their entry level SLRs.

Everything before the 450D was using non-SD memory cards so I ruled those out.
450D only has 12 megapixels (I know it's mostly about the lenses but 12 seemed a bit low for an SLR) so I ruled that out.
600D only has really minor updates to the 550D (not bothered about the articulated screen), therefore in my eyes I ruled out this as it just seemed like an overpriced 550D.
So it's really come down to the 500D vs the 550D.

I'm leaning towards the 550D because I don't think the price difference between the two is that much and the 550D has slightly better features (e.g. better ISO settings).

I can get the 550D brand new for around £440 from Amazon. I can't seem to find the 500D brand new from any reputable shops that I would want to buy from (I'm not keen to buy from 3rd party sellers on Amazon either).

I want to also consider 2nd hand 500D and 550D but not sure what the general going rate for these are.

Anyone know what kinda prices I'd be looking at (body only) for one that's in very good to excellent condition (and a relatively low shutter count).

TIA

I was in the same position as you.. the decider for me was build quality. The 500D is ever so slightly heavier and uses a different grade plastic for the body, feels great when it's gripped.

550D from experience has a more versatile sensor and system. If you're going to want to do video at all, go for the 550D. It has pretty much the same sensor from a 7D, all without the incredible autofocus.

With a 500D, you could get one brand new for about £450. 550D is actually cheaper body only. I've seen them go for around £400.

Jessops do a 500D deal, so do Currys :)

or you could pick up a low shutter count 50D for no more than £450, it was my first dslr when I finally moved from film and I found it excellent and got some great results with the kit lens.

I was in the same position as you.. the decider for me was build quality. The 500D is ever so slightly heavier and uses a different grade plastic for the body, feels great when it's gripped.

550D from experience has a more versatile sensor and system. If you're going to want to do video at all, go for the 550D. It has pretty much the same sensor from a 7D, all without the incredible autofocus.

With a 500D, you could get one brand new for about £450. 550D is actually cheaper body only. I've seen them go for around £400.

Jessops do a 500D deal, so do Currys :)

If I go brand new then it make sense to get the 550D. I don't think I'll be using the SLR much for videoing. My Lumix TZ10 does pretty good video capture and is much easier to hold as it's lighter and smaller.

Any idea how much 550D or the 500D go 2nd hand?

or you could pick up a low shutter count 50D for no more than £450, it was my first dslr when I finally moved from film and I found it excellent and got some great results with the kit lens.

I did briefly look at the 50D but the differences were either really minor or something that didn't seem that important (comparison between the two: http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_eos550d&products=canon_eos50d). There is however a big difference in price so the 550D felt like the obvious choice.

However, if I've over looked something or the website doesn't cover everything then please do let me know as I am completely new to this all.

I just pulled the trigger on a 2nd hand 550D that's in almost mint condition. I saved just under £100 off the new list price which I think is a pretty good price.

Very good, hope you enjoy it (y)

What lenses do you have / access to ?

For a budget, the 50mm 1.8 is very good quality (but basic build quality), the 55-250IS is a belter of a lens for the money

Very good, hope you enjoy it (y)

What lenses do you have / access to ?

For a budget, the 50mm 1.8 is very good quality (but basic build quality), the 55-250IS is a belter of a lens for the money

I got the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. I got it used in excellent condition so saved a bit of money on that too. I believe this is the same lens that is included in most kits.

Yes, I also want to get the Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II as well for those indoor low light shots. I'm sure there are better lenses for that e.g. Canon EF 50mm - f/1.4 USM, but they seem more pricey. I'll probably wait and get used to the SLR first and then keep an eye on used lenses to see if I can pick up a good deal. :)

techno79 said:
I got the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. I got it used in excellent condition so saved a bit of money on that too.

I'll probably wait and get used to the SLR first and then keep an eye on used lenses to see if I can pick up a good deal. :)

Def best way to go, keep an eye open for the 55-250IS - it's a cracker of a lens for the money and would sit very nicely with your 18-55 lens.

Enjoy your new purchase :)

I actually prefer the older memory cards, my canon takes the CF Compact flash and I think they are much more solid, it actually puts me off upgrading and going to SD card

I'm sure there's a range of quality for any given card format but I think the smaller the card, the more durable it is. For example, dropping a CF onto concrete from 10foot would probably do more damage than doing the same with a MicroSD (purely down to the weight difference). An SD card won't be as durable as a MicroSD but it feels like it would be more durable than a CF card.

Congrats on the new purchases of the 550D. I started off with one and it was an excellent first camera for me. Due to being left some money in a will I now have a 7D and a 5D2, but I gave the 550D to the wife with a couple of lenses (who didn't really want them at the time) as I didn't want to part with it as it was so good. I'm sure you'll be very happy with your respective purchases and I'm sure you'll be happy with the photos it takes.

Congrats on the new purchases of the 550D. I started off with one and it was an excellent first camera for me. Due to being left some money in a will I now have a 7D and a 5D2, but I gave the 550D to the wife with a couple of lenses (who didn't really want them at the time) as I didn't want to part with it as it was so good. I'm sure you'll be very happy with your respective purchases and I'm sure you'll be happy with the photos it takes.

Thanks very much. I hope this is the case. I'm coming from a point and shoot background where I rarely strayed from the full auto mode so it's a huge learning curve. I've just bought the Canon 550D for dummies book which I think is a great way to hit the learning curve in a user friendly approach. Still waiting for book to be delivered so will find out if it is actually any good but it's got great reviews on Amazon.

techno79 said:
I've just bought the Canon 550D for dummies book which I think is a great way to hit the learning curve in a user friendly approach. Still waiting for book to be delivered so will find out if it is actually any good but it's got great reviews on Amazon.

I had the very same book. It's very useful. All the best!

great choice, it was my first one too, if you would like a digital field guide for it (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Rebel...8635/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331933154&sr=8-1) i have two which i double ordered and dont need now as i have a 7d now, just pm me and ill get it sent if your interested, and if anyone else wants the other one pm me too

Thanks for the offer but I should be ok. I got a few friends who have books so may borrow from them. Surprisingly, none of my friends had the For Dummies book but most of them have been into photography for a while.

Back