Beginner First Time Buyer Getting a Bit Overawed With Choice.

Edit My Images
No
I have been interested in photography for a very long time but have kept putting off getting involved myself. I've got some free time on my hands and I'm finally willing to get stuck in. My budget is fairly limited at around £500 but could push it a little higher if needed. I'm perfectly happy with second-hand and even preferable if it gives me some extra performance and IQ.

I was set on either a Used D5300 or a Used OM-D E-M5 MKII (w/ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm f/1.8) until I went into Jessops and was recommended a new Sony A6000 for £499 with a kit lens. Was also told to stay away from DSLR which I'm happy to do. I understand that the A6000 is a little older but from what I have read it is still a great beginners camera.

My only worry with the Sony is if I decide later to move to M43, instead of just starting with a M5 MKII. From what I have read the Sony is more intuitive that the M5, however, I'm fine falling on my backside for a while with a more technical product if it is also a superior product.

The OM-D E-M1 MKII looks great but is a bit out of my price range especially for a first time buy.

Do you recommend either of the cameras I've mentioned or maybe even have an recommendation of your own?

I'm in the UK if that helps and also looking for a camera that can do a bit of everything with a focus on Landscape and Portrait photography.

Thanks

Firstly, forget about the idea that DSLRs are dead and that mirrorless is the way forward. This may be true in a few years, but with the latter being the latest tech., then that's going to be the most expensive option. Not necessarily the camera, but most definitely the lenses (although you can use older ones with adapters).

Thanks to people changing from DSLRs to mirrorless, it means there are some very good used lenses coming up for very good prices. This is the most important thing to consider as you progress as the camera doesn't matter really, find one that suits your hand/grip by trying a few if you can; be that in a shop or at your local camera club.

Everyone will be keen to offer you advice on what to buy, based on the kit they know and use. I prefer Nikon, but I've used more cameras than I could count over the last fifty years. I like Nikon because they suit me. However, I like many other cameras too - it's just that I have invested heavily in Nikon lenses.

My recommendation for your budget would be a 20-24mp crop sensor camera; Nikon, Canon or Sony and a lens of around 50mm - remember, the lens is more important. You can always sell used stuff on for around the same price you paid for it if you avoid dealers and buy privately. Obviously, a dealer will offer you a guarantee of some sort which is why you pay the extra - the choice is yours.

I don't know the other manufacture's equivalents, but something along the lines of a Nikon D3200 with a kit lens of 18-30mm will only cost around the £200.00 mark, so you don't need to break the bank to get started.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. :)

Last edited:
Firstly, forget about the idea that DSLRs are dead and that mirrorless is the way forward. This may be true in a few years, but with the latter being the latest tech., then that's going to be the most expensive option. Not necessarily the camera, but most definitely the lenses (although you can use older ones with adapters).

Thanks to people changing from DSLRs to mirrorless, it means there are some very good used lenses coming up for very good prices. This is the most important thing to consider as you progress as the camera doesn't matter really, find one that suits your hand/grip by trying a few if you can; be that in a shop or at your local camera club.

Everyone will be keen to offer you advice on what to buy, based on the kit they know and use. I prefer Nikon, but I've used more cameras than I could count over the last fifty years. I like Nikon because they suit me. However, I like many other cameras too - it's just that I have invested heavily in Nikon lenses.

My recommendation for your budget would be a 20-24mp crop sensor camera; Nikon, Canon or Sony and a lens of around 50mm - remember, the lens is more important. You can always sell used stuff on for around the same price you paid for it if you avoid dealers and buy privately. Obviously, a dealer will offer you a guarantee of some sort which is why you pay the extra - the choice is yours.

I don't know the other manufacture's equivalents, but something along the lines of a Nikon D3200 with a kit lens of 18-30mm will only cost around the £200.00 mark, so you don't need to break the bank to get started.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. :)
By going for a D3200 am I not losing a lot of futureproofing that I'd get from a M5 Mark ii or a A6000?

I'm not suggesting you get a 3200 - that was just an example. :facepalm:

It's the best 'futureproofing' you can get as you can get started without spending a lot of money.

What you buy into in the future is up to you, but I would suggest that you ask on here before buying blind so that at least you'll know what to avoid.

Plenty of people will be along with some suggestions soon . . .

The advantage of DSLR is that the cameras and lenses are presently a bit cheaper than mirrorless. The disadvantage is that if you want mirrorless in a couple of years time then you need to replace everything. Also DSLR prices seem to have bounced back recently, so they aren't bargains any more.

In your position I'd probably choose the EM5 with a 14-42 kit lens and the 45. That way you get proper controls with separate wheels for aperture and shutter, ibis and access to a wide range of good value lenses. It w be a good place to start, and the system will be current for some time yet, so lenses won't lose value so much.

The advantage of DSLR is that the cameras and lenses are presently a bit cheaper than mirrorless. The disadvantage is that if you want mirrorless in a couple of years time then you need to replace everything. Also DSLR prices seem to have bounced back recently, so they aren't bargains any more.

In your position I'd probably choose the EM5 with a 14-42 kit lens and the 45. That way you get proper controls with separate wheels for aperture and shutter, ibis and access to a wide range of good value lenses. It w be a good place to start, and the system will be current for some time yet, so lenses won't lose value so much.
Thanks, that was what I was leaning to. I've found everything used on Harrison Cameras with a 12 month warranty so I think I may be ordering tomorrow. I have it totalled at £525 for the OM-D E-M5 Mark ii with a Olympus 45mm and a 14-42mm. Do you think that is a reasonable price? Shopping around I can get it a little less but with either less or no warranty.

Thanks, that was what I was leaning to. I've found everything used on Harrison Cameras with a 12 month warranty so I think I may be ordering tomorrow. I have it totalled at £525 for the OM-D E-M5 Mark ii with a Olympus 45mm and a 14-42mm. Do you think that is a reasonable price? Shopping around I can get it a little less but with either less or no warranty.

You could compare the prices with those at mpb.co.

Olympus s/h is probably in good supply now due to people having doubts about their future, which need not concern anyone buying currently.

You could compare the prices with those at mpb.co.

Olympus s/h is probably in good supply now due to people having doubts about their future, which need not concern anyone buying currently.
Yeah mpb is a little more expensive with 6 months less warranty.

I don't know if that's a good price, but it doesn't sound bad. Look on www.usedlens.co.uk - run by one of the guys here - for used prices.

Back