First time buying

Edit My Images
No
Hello, im a fashion student who's looking into buying my first SLR camera and I'm a bit stuck.
It will be used for photo shoots and still photography for my sketchbooks.
Have a budget of £700 including additional lenses.
Would appreciate any advice, thanks,
Ashley

Hi Ashley, I'd also recommend going to a store and holding a few bodys. Are you looking to take fashion photography? If so you will probably want a fast prime lenses in the region of 50mm to 85mm on a crop body.

Thanks for your advice, will test out a few and hopefully find one thats best for me.
Yeah i am looking to do mostly fashion photography.
I would prefer new as I would not know where or what to look for in a second hand camera.

Will it be used for studio shoots or runway? Also what lighting will you be using - do you have access to studio lights?

I would strongly consider looking at buying 2nd hand from a reputable dealer along the lines of MPB, LCE group, mifsuds etc as unfortunately £700 is not a massive budget for a dslr kit. If you really want new gear, then maybe something like a canon eos 550d body with a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non vc might be the way forward.

In the nikon range,something like this would suit,then save for a 24-70 lens.
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=379590

Ashley will have no access to classifieds due to being a new member (y)

Otherwise, welcome to the forum Ashley :)

As mentioned, going in and having a play with some of the cameras in your price range will be useful. Above all, finding a camera you find comfortable to use is most important, if you dont like using it you wont use it.

Depending on where you live there may well be some reputable second hand dealers in your immediate vicinity you could visit and again see and handle the different bodies.

If you definately want to buy new, have a look on camerapricebuster.com for latest prices on different cameras and lenses.

Lens choice is going to be semi reliant on exactly what conditions you will be shooting in, whether its a studio, runway etc. Though the base kit lens will probably be a good starting point until you figure out exactly which focal lengths will suit your typical type of work.

Lastly, dont forget, you will require a bit of money for some other bits of gear to go with your new kit such as memory cards, a bag (especially if you are carrying it to and from uni / college), possibly a tripod and flash depending on what types of shoots you are doing :)

Firstly welcome to the forum. For your budget you would be able to pick up a Canon 550D or 600D body with maybe the 18-55 IS kit lens and maybe a 50 1.8 as well. But as others have said, go to a local shop and have a play with the cameras in your price range to find out what fits you.
When I was looking for my first dslr I chose the Canon 550D and had it ordered before I'd even held one, not that I'm complaining as it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. It's an excellent camera (you only have to look at the awards it's won) and will give you some great photos for years to come. I gave mine to my wife when I got my 7D and 5D2 as I didn't want to sell such a good camera.

I have the 550D and for the price it seems a very capable camera, if you get the 550d or 600d you can then buy and extra lens to your exact requirement.

Both are excellent cameras, with there not much been different except the swivel screen on the 600d,

Hope you find the right camera,

Back