First Time Developing

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Well, I've gone and done it. After months of umming and ahrring and researching just about every single video on youtube, every thread and article on here about developing, all the reviews and results and different methods.

I've gone and done it!

I used a semi stand process with R09 One Shot (Rodinal). No stop bath, just water and fixer (Adox, from a starter kit from Nik and Trick).
120mm roll of HP5 400, Lubitel 166B.
No scans just yet as the scanner needs a new power cable, but the negs look really good considering i was expecting to balls up on my first attempt.

So thank you to everyone that has ever posted anything on developing ever! because i've probably read it :)

IMG_20161111_112428.jpg

Well done...to me some of the negs look over exposed by the camera but could be the backgound making them look dark.

Well done Dave :) and welcome to the real fun side of photography. Those negs look good to me, and I think it's the background making the bottom few look dark, right?

Thanks guys, yes it's just the way they are being hung up. Although it's possible that they are under and over exposed on some as i have never used the Lubitel before, so it was a learning curve with that too.
The developing was good fun. I did panic slightly though, when i couldn't get the film onto the spool at first. Took me ages :)
Ive ordered a changing bag, as i don't think i can stay under the duvet too long without over heating an passing out (or falling asleep).

Thanks guys, yes it's just the way they are being hung up. Although it's possible that they are under and over exposed on some as i have never used the Lubitel before, so it was a learning curve with that too.
The developing was good fun. I did panic slightly though, when i couldn't get the film onto the spool at first. Took me ages :)
Ive ordered a changing bag, as i don't think i can stay under the duvet too long without over heating an passing out (or falling asleep).

Try running a soft pencil around the inside of the reels before you use them. The little bit of graphite helps to lubricate the film and stops it jamming so easily.

I'll try that, cheers :)

I don't have any 120 left now though, I'm only shooting 35mm and after a few practice runs, I'm fairly handy at feeding it on to the reels now :)

Good idea, i just don't have a retriever. I practiced with a ruined roll though and i've pretty much got it down to a T now :)

Just remember not to wind it all the way back in. You should feel when it comes off the take-up spool; by that time all the exposed film is back in the can, you're left with the stuff that got exposed to daylight when you loaded the film.

Good idea. I'll try that. Cheers Chris.

Good idea, i just don't have a retriever.

Lick /wet the leader of another film and feed it into the canister then turn the spool. The exposed film will stick to /pick up the leader.

SLOWLY pull the leader out and hey presto it will bring the exposed film with it.

Sometimes takes a few attempts but it works as well ( if not better) than a film retrieval tool of which I have but find it to be bloody hopeless tbh......PM me your addy and I'll post it to you if you want it

Last edited:
Lick /wet the leader of another film and feed it into the canister then turn the spool. The exposed film will stick to /pick up the leader.

SLOWLY pull the leader out and hey presto it will bring the exposed film with it.

Sometimes takes a few attempts but it works as well ( if not better) than a film retrieval tool of which I have but find it to be bloody hopeless tbh......PM me your addy and I'll post it to you if you want it

I've tried this, but with a little bit of double-sided tape on the end of the film, instead of spit. Mine must not be sticky enough...

I've developed my 2nd ever roll of film now, my first 35mm roll. Here's a few from a very cheap (£2) camera bought at a junk shop (a CL-368).
Great fun using this cheap piece of plastic that looks like it was made in the early 80's (blister on the thumb from winding it on) :) and great fun processing.
Stuff digital, this is the way forward! :)
St Adamnans Church by Dave Gilbert, on Flickr

Crossing The Line by Dave Gilbert, on Flickr

Halt by Dave Gilbert, on Flickr

Stuff digital, this is the way forward!

Well said that man :D

Those are great. The wonky focus makes them IMO. Good job on the developing too - I've not got to that stage yet, but it could potentially save me several quid if I go ahead with my planned film-only 365 project next year! :)

I've got a plastic Sunpet camera that I bought for 50p a couple of months back that I plan on putting a roll through soon.

260/366 2016 - 50 pence-worth of high end gear by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

That looks right up my street! :) I'll give anything a go. You'll have to post your results when you get them done.
To be honest, i think i got better results with this cheap camera than i did with my old Holga.

Definitely worth developing your own. I was very apprehensive about it for a long time, but did loads of research on this site and on youtube. I found a system that i thought i could follow very easily and that's what i've stuck with for now.

With 35 mm film, you can load the leader into the spiral in the light to make things easier.
Careful though. I believe I've ruined films doing this. I think what happened is somehow I lifted the leader up and light got in through the light trap and went straight through the film. It's happened to quite a few films even though I thought I was handling them carefully. It's the only possible explanation as the pattern of the fogging suggests it was rolled up in the canister at the time (vertical lines decreasing in distance from start of film, and reducing in intensity), and I've thoroughly checked the camera for light leaks.

With practice it's easy enough to do in the dark with a Patterson type reel anyway.

Careful though. I believe I've ruined films doing this. I think what happened is somehow I lifted the leader up and light got in through the light trap and went straight through the film. It's happened to quite a few films even though I thought I was handling them carefully. It's the only possible explanation as the pattern of the fogging suggests it was rolled up in the canister at the time (vertical lines decreasing in distance from start of film, and reducing in intensity), and I've thoroughly checked the camera for light leaks.

With practice it's easy enough to do in the dark with a Patterson type reel anyway.

I've done all my developing with an Agfa Rondinax which has daylight loading with the leader out, and have never had a problem like that (nor, yet, the other rumoured issue where a piece of grit supposedly gets on the cassette lip and makes a scratch through the entire roll).

Thank, Alan. I'm a dab hand at loading now and have a dark bag on the way to make things more convenient. :)

Back