Studio First Time in a Proper Studio

Name
Mark Gameson
Edit My Images
Yes
A couple of weeks ago I attended a portrait evening organised by the camera club I am a member of at a proper studio.

I have been to portrait evenings at the club before but they have always been at the club house with several studio set ups in action at once so never been that good.

Here are a couple of shots I took

Any feedback gratefully received

-1 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

DSC_2400 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

DSC_2396 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

-5 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Last edited by a moderator:

IMHO, one picture is receivable of the four and it is far above the others that
understandably, since this is your first time, did not hit the target.

For this good portrait, I will comment simply with "awesome" given your great effort
and experience and do not think I'm doing you a favour! Every aspect but one
is top
drawer: lighting, focus, ratios, expression… everything but one.

This cool picture is the second in your post, and the frame needs tweaking. Bravo!

EDIT: I miscounted the pict number.

Last edited:

IMHO, one picture is receivable of the four and it is far above the others that
understandably, since this is your first time, did not hit the target.

For this good portrait, I will comment simply with "awesome" given your great effort
and experience and do not think I'm doing you a favour! Every aspect but one
is top
drawer: lighting, focus, ratios, expression… everything but one.

This cool picture is the third in your post, and the frame needs tweaking. Bravo!

Thank you for taking the time to post and comment on my photos.

The one problem I have with portrait photography is I am quite shy so have trouble interacting with the models. But I really enjoyed the evening and hope to do it again soon and hopefully with practice I will become more confident and my images will improve.

Hi Mark
In my opinion, 2 is I think your strongest image... interesting lighting and shadows. The first looks a tad underexposed. The third, your lighting is all over the place and it's making for a bit of 'halloween spooky lighting' and is not very complimentary for the model. The fourth one is just a bad angle... you're shooting up ... which makes her hips and thighs look bigger (no woman would be happy about that) and you're in theory 'looking up her nose'. There's always opportunity to shoot from this angle, but I think you need to choose the model and situation very carefully as is doesn't work for everyone. As far as the lighting goes on it, I would have actually tried to go a bit harsher, creating some more dynamic and dramatic shadows... but that's just my opinion.

Good work, keep going!

Back