First time in Studio *Nervous and Comments*

Are we still talking sense or just spamming now?

No-one else seems bothered here???

No, we were talking sense because we are still on topic. [almost] but...someone could say it is SPAM, because it is only directed conversation between two people.

Antc Posted a comment
First of all I would like to say what a great set of images these are for your first model shoot. First of all Can I ask a question or two please. I see you were using 1/125 of a second at F8 for most of these so of course you are getting good DOF. Where where you focusing for these shots? Were you using manual or auto focus?

Now they were using auto-focus, the focusing probably varies, but generally with the DOF, am I right in thinking that anything from a foot in front to two feet behind are generally "pin sharp" [even though we've come to realise at f8 on my camera they're not :lol]

Ok - back to Antc then

Adele - Why were you shooting on 1/125th? Is that your max sync speed and if not, why weren't you using the max possible?

f8 clearly isn't from a foot in front of your camera as some shots are OOF on the feet when in they are directly in front of you. But this could be that you were focusing in the wrong place anyway

For Antc's benefit - manual focus would be a waste of time in such a shoot as all effort needs to be on composition and timing; adding in focusing would slow the process and lose far too many opportunities - as aperture/shutter speed doesn't vary, focus lock is your invaluable aid here

Where to focus? Usually the face, but not always, sometimes it's better to focus a bit in front and let the DoF behind that focus point take care of the face for you

Ok - back to Antc then

Adele - Why were you shooting on 1/125th? Is that your max sync speed and if not, why weren't you using the max possible?

I was using that because that is what DD told me to use :LOL: Im sure the answer is in the question he just typed. But Im now dosed up on drugs [legal ones :LOL:] That my brain isnt working.

f8 clearly isn't from a foot in front of your camera as some shots are OOF on the feet when in they are directly in front of you. But this could be that you were focusing in the wrong place anyway

:LOL: That may be more than likely....either that or Ill blame it on f8 :)

For Antc's benefit - manual focus would be a waste of time in such a shoot as all effort needs to be on composition and timing; adding in focusing would slow the process and lose far too many opportunities - as aperture/shutter speed doesn't vary, focus lock is your invaluable aid here

Where to focus? Usually the face, but not always, sometimes it's better to focus a bit in front and let the DoF behind that focus point take care of the face for you

Some people are so adamant that the eyes should be sharply in focus, so that is why most people try and focus on the face/eyes....and may not understand why you can occasionally focus infront...:thinking: Did that make sense? LOL

Do you know what you're flash sync is Adele?

That's what you should have been using, I can't imagine telling you you had to use 1/125th, I'd have said "Use the sync speed" or said nothing assuming you'd know - if not, then that's my fault too - so it's save to assume 1/125th is the sync speed then - fair nuff

I must admit I'm one of those that thinks the eyes should be sharply in focus, but that doesn't mean you must always focus on them

Do you know what you're flash sync is Adele?

That's what you should have been using, I can't imagine telling you you had to use 1/125th, I'd have said "Use the sync speed" or said nothing assuming you'd know - if not, then that's my fault too - so it's save to assume 1/125th is the sync speed then - fair nuff

I must admit I'm one of those that thinks the eyes should be sharply in focus, but that doesn't mean you must always focus on them

:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

Maybe I just plucked it from air?! :LOL:
I dunno if you mentioned it the time I was in the studio shooting eeyore. :shrug::thinking:
But the then answer to the....first question is..No. :LOL:

Oh dear - you're weren't listening properly to your teacher then on that Tuesday :shake::shake::shake: - ask this one of the Studio-tutors on Thursday (y)(y)(y)

Ill have a list of questions to ask them...before they've even set up!

Argh - that's okay then

"Dear Mrs Client - I think I've processed your pics okay, but I'm not showing you them yet"

:LOL::LOL:

:LOL: Funny...Ill post some more later, but first i need a nap, as this non drowsy medicine, has made me drowsy...:thinking:

WOW! I love those :) you should be really proud to have so many great shots from your first time in a studio. Hell, I would happy with those if I worked in a studio 24/7. I think my fav has to be number 7, lovey expression and the tones look spot on (on my monitor).

BIG (y) well done :)

I have images straight from the camera, if you'd like to see what those are like too.

Thanks in advance.

:naughty: yes please del i would like to see these...(y)

md(y)

thank you admin

WOW! I love those :) you should be really proud to have so many great shots from your first time in a studio. Hell, I would happy with those if I worked in a studio 24/7. I think my fav has to be number 7, lovey expression and the tones look spot on (on my monitor).

BIG (y) well done :)

Awww ty JL! :)

Adele - your fan base is growing all the time

I think I'll start a new thread with a link to all 53 of them as a slideshow for you!

Okay?

Answer when Mr snoozey woozey has released you eh?

:LOL: That sounds like a plan DD!!! :) Plug yourself whilst your at it. [I have been up about half an hour by this point, just got round to replying]

:naughty: yes please del i would like to see these...(y)

md(y)

No problem MD....Ill have them here for you shortly.

Ah - that makes sense MD

I have them on disc too so we may not need that drawing pad after all!

DD

:shrug:

Right here we go.

1. Image straight from Camera.
2155508122_8a23b02454.jpg

2. Image 2 - edited one way.
2154713133_3204d3020b.jpg

3.Image 3 - Edited another way
2155509864_1023461ed5.jpg

Would Love to know if you prefer 2 or 3.
(y)

I prefer 2 as a portrait , the higher contrast is more appealing to my eyes.

Q. did you use single point focus or the wonderful arrays we now have and hate ?

Q. did you use single point focus or the wonderful arrays we now have and hate ?

I tried to use a single focussing point. But I was using also autofocus. So...:shrug: when he started to get a bit livelier - it became apparant to focus just to get the shot. Generally with the amount of DOF, it tries to carry the focus point through.
What did you mean by the wonderful arrays we now have and hate?

I tried to use a single focussing point. But I was using also autofocus. So...:shrug: when he started to get a bit livelier - it became apparant to focus just to get the shot. Generally with the amount of DOF, it tries to carry the focus point through.
What did you mean by the wonderful arrays we now have and hate?

That modern DSLR's have multi-point focusing as the default which means the camera tried to find a few points at the same distance. you can turn it off on the Pentax's so you just have one single autofocus blob on your viewfinder

That modern DSLR's have multi-point focusing as the default which means the camera tried to find a few points at the same distance. you can turn it off on the Pentax's so you just have one single autofocus blob on your viewfinder

Yea I got that bit - it was the 'hate' bit I didn't really understand

Why hate it?:shrug::shrug::shrug:

Yea I got that bit - it was the 'hate' bit I didn't really understand

Why hate it?:shrug::shrug::shrug:

I supose it doesn't matter if you have plenty of DOF but if you don't you normally find it will focus on cheek and forehead not eye.

thats my theory !!! but i'm only a beginner !! who is giving his thoughts..

Back