First time lightning

Edit My Images
Yes
Well as another thread thats already started has said, and most of you have experianced in the last 24hrs, there ws a GREAT thunderstorm last nite! So much so i did what minimeeze did and took some photos, but rather than hang out of a window i went hardcore! :nuts:
I took the car, tripod, and camera and drove down the road to an open field! It was dry to start but the rain started to pour, i had to find something to put over the camera (carrier bags are fab!) as i didn't think having an umberella up was a particulary good idea! :wacky: , the batteries then died on me and i was getting rather wet wearing just shorts and a t-shirt at 22:00!:LOL:
In for supplies and then to another spot, a mistake, as the shots dried up and go nothin compared with where i was. Oh well you live and learn!:crying:

Heres my three best(ish) shots of the evenin, i dont think they're too bad for the first time EVER shootin lightning.....! :D :woot:

rumble.jpg

One-strike.jpg

First-time.jpg

Come the next storm..... i'll be there baby..... so bring it on mother nature! Next time i'll be better prepared!!! :razz:

Good shots Santa particularly as it was your first time though I don't know if setting up a tripod is such a good idea! :nono:

Cos of the same reason havin a umberella perhaps? :LOL: its ok i was near quite a few lamposts and telegraph poles! :p

Thank you for your concern though (y)

Good shots there, esp the last two. I have to admit, you are completely :wacky: to be out in an open field with a tripod though :LOL:

clawz said:
Cos of the same reason havin a umberella perhaps? :LOL: its ok i was near quite a few lamposts and telegraph poles! :p

:eek: Count the forks in your photos. Do you only see one? There are MILLIONS of sparks reaching for earth in a lightning storm. It is not just the big ones that will kill you and having a large object next to you will ATTRACT THE LIGHTNING!

Nice pics but please stay safe!

I'm still tempted to create some sort of crazy lightening attracting device with a kite and some sort of remote control winder. Then retire to a very safe distance and hide in the car to take shots!

Could be interesting...... or deadly......?

Nice work though, despite the risk!

Have you seen the film 'sweet home alabama' the guy in that does it, sticks big metal rods into the sand on the beach, waits for the lightening to strike, then apparently it forms these wierd glass shapes.

No I don't watch girly films honest, :popcorn: my misses had it on when I came in the room...:cautious:

Glen said:
No I don't watch girly films honest, :popcorn: my misses had it on when I came in the room...:cautious:

Yeah, yeah, we all know you cried at the end...come on now, you can tell us. ;)

----

Great shots Clawz, third ones great with the ribbon across the sky. (y)

...still sunny here, some glimpses of rain, then nothing.

---

The worst places to be in a thunder storm is;

Near some telegraph poles.
Under a tree.
Standing in an open field.

Good places to be are;

In a car.
In a house.
In a hole.

:LOL:

Glen said:
Have you seen the film 'sweet home alabama' the guy in that does it, sticks big metal rods into the sand on the beach, waits for the lightening to strike, then apparently it forms these wierd glass shapes.:

Thats rite, cos sand is one of the main ingredients in glass making, they super heat it which melts the sand to silica (iirc) hence why in the desert where they tested the very first nuclear bomb turned to glass in places! fasinating stuff huh!! ;)

Cool fim thou! ;)

much bravery required, the shots are good, so its worth it!

Gandhi said:
I'm still tempted to create some sort of crazy lightening attracting device with a kite and some sort of remote control winder. Then retire to a very safe distance and hide in the car to take shots!

Could be interesting...... or deadly......?

Nice work though, despite the risk!

Watched a program on discovery last week, where they did that.

Basically it actually encourages lightning to strike, where it previously wouldn't (as opposed to just directing an already happening bolt).

What they did though, was fire rockets on wire up in the air....thus offering the path back down to earth.

mmmmm... i'm thinkin radio controlled plane and a wire now!!! :LOL:

I'm not really! im insane, but not THAT insane!:D

Marcel said:
Watched a program on discovery last week, where they did that.

Basically it actually encourages lightning to strike, where it previously wouldn't (as opposed to just directing an already happening bolt).

What they did though, was fire rockets on wire up in the air....thus offering the path back down to earth.

heheheheheeee.

I wonder if I can remote release rockets, and where would I get 1/2 mile of wire. Hmmm, I can see a mad professor moment coming on!

If it wasn't so unearthly stupid I'd actually be tempted to try it, if I can work the safety aspect then I may just see what I can do!

Back