First time out with new macro lens

Name
Blarg
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all,

First picture related post for me as well! These are the first few pics I've taken with my new Sigma 150mm macro. Any C&C is welcom as I've got to get better with it before I hop off on holiday in a few weeks.

1. Comma Butterfly soft focus kind of?
comma.jpg

2. Green Bottle Fly
fly.jpg

3. Green Shield Bug Nymph
shield4.jpg

4. A Wasp eating a blackberry
wasp.jpg

All taken on a Canon 400D with a Sigma 150mm Macro lens.

1 - like the angle
2 - shame you missed a bit of his wing
3 - i like it but want to rotate it so he is level...
4 - crop a bit of the green space away to the right and it might improve the composition a little...

wish i had that lens :)...

Kenny :: Thanks for the feedback. I agree on the missing of the wing but the dang thing wouldn't play nice and stop running about all over the fruit. Stupid fly. ( 3 ) all yours to rotate it a bit if you like - I'd like to see how you'd frame it (same with 4) - none of these have had any modifications done to them other than a resize

Dogfish - Yea I've got to get to grips with playing with the DoF. I just let it at fully auto for most of these but next weekend I'll be attempting to play around with changing the F number etc to see how much effect it has with this lens.

Here are the 2 pics with slight changes - what do you think?

wasp_crop.jpg

shield4_rotated.jpg

Hi Andy,
just my opinion but i think the wasp picture is a little cluttered - i find myself getting distracted by the surroundings a little too much..

The cropped and rotated green bug picture, really like this - nice DOF. My first ever macro lens arrived yesterday so i'm just starting to get to grips with it all, i'd be pleased with these pics though :)

Nick

Hey Nick,

Thanks for the feedback. I'd agree that the wasp pic has a lot going on in it but I couldn't find an angle where brambles + random other wildlife wasn't in the frame that much - why can't nature be ordered! :)

Thank you for the feedback about the sheildbug - I've got to thank dave for the rotate/crop as I was too busy to do it myself. It does look a lot better in portrait I've got to admit.

What kind of lens did you get? And good luck with it - it seems to be a lot of fun going out and snapping tiny animals

Hey Nick,

Thanks for the feedback. I'd agree that the wasp pic has a lot going on in it but I couldn't find an angle where brambles + random other wildlife wasn't in the frame that much - why can't nature be ordered! :)

Thank you for the feedback about the sheildbug - I've got to thank dave for the rotate/crop as I was too busy to do it myself. It does look a lot better in portrait I've got to admit.

What kind of lens did you get? And good luck with it - it seems to be a lot of fun going out and snapping tiny animals

really nice pics.

For the wasp one a bit of psp/gimp/paint shop pro. duplicate the layer, Select the areas you don't want to focus on, soft blur and darken. Then mask and fade in a mask to leave the wasp and berry sharp.

Back