First time portraits, using flash.

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Well tonight I a had ago at shooting portraits, using an off camera flash and umbrella setup. After reading and watching many videos, I knew the basics it was just a case of putting them in to practice.

They where shot using a whote soft shoot through umbrella, off to the right at 45 degrees.

My Lovely girlfriend offered to pose along with my dog! and I have to admit I had a fantastic time shooting these and I am pleased with the results, but I am after any advice on what I could be doing better.

C&C welcome (be nice lol)

5857810719_b1c292c8a1_b.jpg

5857811933_3053e03e12_b.jpg

5857812833_267632eaa1_b.jpg

5858365712_d2855eb143_b.jpg

there are some 'blown' areas which are spoiling the shots but on the whole quite good.

The WB is probably out too but easily fixed in post processing.

Love 1 and 3 particularly. The composition/crop in 3 works due to the laughing subject.caught in a candid type pose but wonder if it doesn't work as well in 4. Seems less reason to put the subject in the bottom left in a straight forward portrait?? Great clarity and composition in 1.

Like the composition on all the photos but agree with Tom regarding the blown areas.

1 & 3 fro me too- the last image seems a little soft ( could be the up load I guess)

all in all a nice set (y)

Les ;)

Thanks for the crit guys..

I was using the umbrella as a shoot through, I didn't have much time to play around shooting in to it, will help get rid of the blown out areas? or is it a case of bit to much ISO, along with flash postioning (i.e. being to close?) which has caused the blown out areas?

Now I have looked at them this morning I agree the white balance is out on 2 & 4 every so slightly, I will try cropping the last one and will post up how I get on.

Back