First time shooting paintball

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
No pun intended...har har.

Anyway, a good friend of mine ask me to photograph a paintball event this weekend. He runs the actual paintball center so he will talk me through what I need to do, but my worries is about my gear. I've recently just upgraded my Canon 550D to a 70D. Should I use my old 550D in case the camera gets hit?

Also regarding my lens. I will be using my 70-200 f/2.8 IS and maybe my 100-400 f/4 IS depending on the course they will be playing on, some of them are quite large and 200mm might not cut it. What's the best ways to protect my lenses? I have large hoods for both and screw in UV filters which I never use but I have no protection for the body of the lenses. Will neoprene give it a bit extra protection or is it just a risk I have to take with the lenses getting hit? I have no time to order any neoprene covers but I have plenty old 5mm wet suits and i'm pretty nifty with the sewing machine lol.

Hopefully I can stand well back with my choice in lenses, but there's always a chance of getting hit.

Last edited:
Tempting fate but what are the odds of you being mistaken for a target?

I'd wrap the camera up as best you can with the neoprene. I would imagine your gonna be wearing a bright high vis bib. and a helmet…. Do either camera have live view?

Tempting fate but what are the odds of you being mistaken for a target?

I'd wrap the camera up as best you can with the neoprene. I would imagine your gonna be wearing a bright high vis bib. and a helmet…. Do either camera have live view?

Yes both have live view and the 70D has a screen that flips out, but I imagine that would be a bad idea lol. He said I could wear the marshals gear or either a pink outfit and tutu that they have for stag doo's, but he said they still get hit and I'd be in and around them whilst playing.

High vis coat/jacket to wear, and then buy a waistcoat high vis and wrap it around the camera or your head, so you can be seen and maybe shown in front of everyone at start of day that your not a target! The airsoft camera people used to do this at my local site!
Maybe keep to the side of the arenas and hope no stray paint comes your way!

Cheers, handy idea with the vest. I'll make a neoprene cover for the lot of them and wrap a vest round the camera.

Somebody will be temped to have a shot at you,i don't even know what inside a paintball and what damage it could do to your gear,but if it was me i do some research :)

paintball is something i've played for years, i assume you are shooting a normal day, stag do, party type thing ??

the only assumption i would make is "you will get hit" well if you want any chance of catching the action, you will need to be in the mix, hi-viz or not, i would also avoid the marshal colours :p, nothing better than managing to get s sneaky ball on a marshal :D.

i would aim for protection, for your gear and you, remember gloves as hits on the hands hurt and your's will be out in the open.

all depends really how much 'action' you would like to catch ??

a think-tank hydrophobia might be useful- I used one as a dust guard at the Portuguese WRC recently and it's a fantastic piece of kit. Will help against the paint and might help a bit against impact.

http://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Think_Tank_Hydrophobia_70-200

Hydrophobia-70200-3.jpg

Thanks all. Am looking for a variety of action shots like panning whilst people are changing position and.hoping to get some paint impacts or some balls leaving the barrels of the guns, then just your average action shots as well. Im doing it for free and its a good laugh because I'll get a few games in as well.

This might be one of the very rare times you want to put a UV filter over the front of the lens. If that gets smashed or covered in paint you can just bin it.

It's not just the paint in the things, they *hurt* and can break glass with the force too.

...and yes you can guarantee you'll be shot at. People in high viz etc are aimed at on purpose and a lot.

Last edited:
Back