Critique First time using static lights

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all.
This is one of a few I took of my wife and daughter using two soft boxes left and right and one soft box front on the floor. Obviously the background is more creased than an elephants teste, but I see a purple tinge to their faces.
Anything else I should address moving forward?
Thanks,
Nick

j8zh3d.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. Agreed re framing. Where should I place one light? Above, to the side or on the floor? I'm currently looking for some tutorials online or around Essex for me to attend as I'm fascinated by light now

On second thoughts.. By static lights do you mean constant (rather than flash)? If so then you might want to use more than one, but if you can put all the bulbs in a single modifier then try that.

Apologies, yes I meant constant.

Thanks for the feedback. Agreed re framing. Where should I place one light? Above, to the side or on the floor? I'm currently looking for some tutorials online or around Essex for me to attend as I'm fascinated by light now

Unhelpful answer.. wherever gives the effect you want to achieve
Beginners answer.. in as large a modifier as you can, as close as you can to the subjects, above their eyeline.

As @Phil V says.. there's only one sun and it's above us.

Anything else can look unnatural. Start by thinking how you'd replicate sunlight coming through a net curtain.

Where in Essex are you? I'm kinda busy but I might be able to show you a couple of things in my studio.

PS IMO flash is much more useful for portraits than cheapo constant lights.

I'm in Brentwood, that's very nice of you. Obviously don't feel obliged! So you'd recommend flash over constant? To be honest, I've never used flash to any degree. I'd like to learn though. I'll keep two lights packed away then, see how I fare.
(Less setting up too!)

Thanks bovey9, I'm learning to slow down and think the photo through now.

Back