first time with a MP-E 65MM

Edit My Images
Yes
Ok I brought myself a MP-E 65MM talk about running before you can walk.

I need a lot of practise with this, it is very very hard to use and with a very fast whip scorpion it was even worse

I am not to unhappy with the out come

C+C welcome

whipscorp3.jpg

whipscorp2.jpg

whipscorp1.jpg

thanks karl

Last edited:
Karl,

Anything that's recognisable is a good start with an MP-E.

I'd start by suggesting that you use a larger aperture...I'm not sure what mag you were at but diffraction sets in quite early at higher mags and you should be looking for f/5.6 at 5x stopping down to around f/11 at 1x.
On other bodies with less crammed sensors then f/16 might be reaosnable but the 50D becomes diffraction limited quite early so you're not going to improve things by going higher....increased DOF needs to be sacrificed to prevent softening.

All IMHO of course. Look forwards to seeing more.

Bob

PS...How did you light the shot?

Welcome to the mad mad world of MP-e 65, sound advice from our Bob and I too hope to see more ;)

Ok here goes. If I am honest I dont really understand half of what you are talking about. I just struggle along.

The settings where F16 at all magnifications, shutter speed 250 and ISO 560

I set myself up with my tripod and remote trigger but the little bugger would not stay still and kept bitting me LOL.

As I could not see to focus I went upstairs and got a tungsten light to help me see, as I said it would not stay still and then it fell on the table. So i took the camera of the tripod and went hand held but then found that my sigma ring flash was in the way and 2 bright on the settings and my table kept giving a very orange tinge in the shot. So then I unclipped my ring flash and held it above the subject with my left had and used me right hand to hold a very heavy camera and tried my hardest to stay still and focus on the scorpion. All in all I made a total mess of the whole situation.

Karl

Back