First time with new tripod

Name
jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

I have a new tripod and thought i would put it to good use taking a few self portraits with my fiancee.

My question to all of you more expereinced guys and galls are thus...

1) Can you clone out the light cast rainbow in the 1st picture

2) Could the soft focus that was due to me leaving the camera on MF and forgetting about that be improved in PP

3) How would you improve these otherwise, posing? composition? PP etc etc

All photos are just straight out of the camera and no PP as I don't have that facility at the moment

Thanks for looking, Jono

Jon & Helen 1

Jon & Helen 3

Jon & Helen 2

Helen

Last edited:
Good stuff, Jono - a lovely set of pics. Really like the glare on them - were you deliberately shooting into the light? I wouldn't bother trying to clone it out; I think it adds an authenticity to the moment; the imperfection makes the pictures more real.

Hi Jonathan

Best way to add images from flickr go to your flickr click the image you want to share

Above the image

Click Share
Grab the HTML/BBCode
Check the radio button for BBCode
Choose a size
Copy the code from the box
paste it into your post on here

Hope That Helps (y)

7115179313_e8c40a4ea6_b.jpg

Dave

Thanks for the encouragement Spooky, yes it was a conscious decision to position us with a strong back light as I had seen some fashion photography shot like this and wanted to try a simillar shot. I also thought it brings an emphasis to the colour of my Fiance's hair.

Hi Dave thanks very much for that post - I was struggling to remember how to do that - even with the BBcode copy i still seem to get a hyperlink below the image! any ideas as to why?

Ignore second bit - Think I have worked out why

Last edited:
I love shooting into the sun! And it works so well in your photographs here! I agree with Spooky, the glare makes the photo feel more real. Even untouched, i love these photos! Good work. What lens etc...?

shot with a 500d and nifty 50mm f1.8 - Think my settings were f2.8 - 1/350 - ISO 100

Couldn't find my lens hood for the 50mm do you think it have would helped at all?

Last edited:
I like these pics...

Couldn't find my lens hood for the 50mm do you think it have would helped at all?

find it and use it as an excuse for yet more photo's :) - you be the judge of it :) (and post the pics) - testing with everything makes sense... (if at first you dont succeed... things will soon change :p )

but you can fix the rainbow in Photoshop, pretty simply... but to "fix it" will as others say, take away some of the charm of the picture.

the focus... anything can be done in photoshop (example:
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/ph...sk_and_Other_Sharpening_Methods_and_Tools.htm

google "fix soft focus photoshop" lots of info online...

fixing the pics otherwise...

perhaps some proper cuddles (front to front) etc... turn around, shoot both sides (i know women like you to shoot their "best side" but i think its generally any side is the best side, as long as not flat on the front? (therefore at least a slight angle)

why dont you have facility to PP? you know you can download Light Room and try it for free for 30 days? - go to Adobe.com :) - im considering buying it. - not made my mind up yet...

Thanks for the Feedback studio work, just the sort of dialogue im looking for.

I never thought about trying cuddling poses - so that's something to try, and also great advice about trying it out and being the judge of your own efforts

Its so simple but as im quite new to this I always forget to try and do something different and learn from it - instead I tend to just think about getting as good a result as I can. It always your mistakes that hold the greatest lessons though.

As for why I cant post process - I only have access to a laptop running XP with 512mb of ram (hence I have to make do with what the camera captures) and to say its a little under powered is the understatement of the century.

I need to get myself a new tripod too!! Love the shots very sharp

A great set of images, Jonathan. Image number two is the clear winner; it tells so much more of a story than the others.

My only improvement comes in the form of Scott Kelby's "Professional Portrait Retouching Techniques for Photographers Using Photoshop" book (http://biSPAM/nb26AU). I am recommending it to everyone at the moment because it has made my subject's look so much better and my shots look so much more 'professional' - I promise I am not on commission!

As I say, Image 2 is superb, really struggling to fault it. Because of this, I feel that the only way you will move to the next level is by hiring professional models - simply because they are experts in posing, and I feel will add so much more to your shots.

Great work - good luck in the future.

Sid.

Back