First timer constructive feedback needed

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

This is my first post anywhere, I'm getting more and more interested in Photography, I'd like your honest feedback on my images I'd really like to improve.

1. I'm also getting used to GIMP and have removed a distracting background from this one.
TINA_PORT_3.JPG

2. This was snapped in the front room, a very noisy background was removed in part be a massive increase in contrast.
EDAN_SULK.JPG

3. A moment in the park with the grandson, he's so easy to photograph
KEANE1.JPG

4. This one was taken with my compact, a break in the cloud produced some beams of sum light in an otherwise overcast day.
MIA.JPG

You say you're getting more interested in photography. Does that mean you're a newcomer to it? If so, I'm impressed. I don't much care for mono shots but I felt compelled to reply.

#1 The eyes are sharp while the jumper is slightly blurred, which shows excellent control of focus with that kit lens. And you've framed it the way an accomplished professional would (IMO) by concentrating on the face, with leading lines taking the eye in from the edges straight back to her eyes.

#2 Excellent moody shot with a nice creative effect. Your comment makes it sound like a rescue job but if I were you I'd make notes on the process and use it again and again.

#3 Another good one, again with the eyes (the most important part of a portrait) nicely focused. In fact, you've got excellent focus from the wooden fence (gate?) back to his eyes with everything outside this area out of focus. I know you're shooting a kit lens in Auto mode with AF but it can still be easy to get this wrong when you're new to the game.

#4 Nice idea to frame it so that the girl is looking into the rest of the picture. And the hint of woods in the background gives us an idea what she's looking at. Even with all that black, the frame feels filled.

The only 'fault' I can find isn't really a fault so much as a matter of style. You have blown highlights in all four shots. In #2 you've used that to advantage with that wonderful processing. In #1 it doesn't notice too much as it's down on the jumper and I'm too busy looking at the face. In #3 and #4 it's at least partially on the face, and in #4 it would be tricky for an experienced photographer to get the light just right so I think you did really well.

If you are new to photography then I think you have got off to an excellent start. Most people's first pictures are much, much less interesting than these. I'd love to see more.

You say you're getting more interested in photography. Does that mean you're a newcomer to it? If so, I'm impressed. I don't much care for mono shots but I felt compelled to reply.

Garry,

Thank you so much for your time and encouraging comments, it means a lot.

I’m very much new, but I do have a previous short history with photography. I used to work at a photography shop were I first gained an interest, very much an armature I used a Pentax ME Super back then (12 years ago). Between then and last August I only took the occasional shot with compacts but have always tried to apply what I had previously picked up. Last August I bought a Cannon EOS 500D with the standard lens and have had the bug more than ever, I'm hooked. I've thrown a few more shots in here, I really hope you have the time to comment further (apologies for more mono), I've followed your links and for what it’s worth I really enjoy your work, my interests also lie with people and life photography. The shots I’m taking I hope will build an interest from others around me, so far I have only shot my family and I’m building up to taking shots for friends and neighbours.

1. This one was shot from the hip as my wife and son walked in front of me. I'd used up my entire pose request credits that day so had to settle with that!
TOMB_PASSAGE_MOTION.JPG

2. From the same holiday as 1 this one was taken with the compact sitting having a coffee when the kite sail and birds turned up during sunset.
SUNSET_NO_LIGHTS.JPG

3. This one is an older shot taken with the compact.
SEPIA_ALTERED_SEASCAPE.JPG

4. This one is a few years old taken with a compact during a day at the beach.
MIA_RED_TOWEL_STARFISH_BEACH.JPG

5. This is my dog Oscar; I took this shot at the same time as the high contrast picture of my son in my previous post (#2) and used the same technique with GIMP.
OSCAR.JPG

6. This is a horse we feed during dog walks. I've increased the contrast and have looked for a quirky composition
HORSE_COLOUR.JPG

Great photos. Love them all.

Thanks Ceri,

I've looked at your shots and really like your trees and leaves, they have inspired me for my next walk in the woods.

Ian.

I've thrown a few more shots in here, I really hope you have the time to comment further

As long as it doesn't turn into a full-time job... :)

#1 is a shot that almost looks like an accident but with that processing it could equally be a still from an art film. There's a sense of mystery about it, coming from the dark out into the light. It's an everyday scene, but what lies ahead?

#2 Aha! A Casio compact; no wonder it's sharp and has captured that colour range. I used to have the EX-Z700 and it was similar. The quality is so good for a compact that I had to put my face near the screen before I noticed any banding. This is a good silhouette and a very nice sunset shot with great colours.

#3 I'm not so keen on this one because it's the kind of shot where I' prefer to see some detail. Other people will like this but for me it's the kind of photo that might work better with more conventional processing.

#4 With photos of children it's usually considered best if you get down and take the shot from their level. But this is the kind of shot that is a great example of why you shouldn't follow that rule slavishly. By angling the camera down you've simplified the background and elminated any distractions, and you've emphasised that this is a little person showing her grandad (?) what she's found. A memory to cherish and to share when she's a lot older. Nicely posed and framed, with instant appeal.

#5 I found that this one works best when viewed some distance from the screen. The high-contrast processing simplifies the picture leaving just the dog's personality - or, um... dogality? I like the way you've preserved a lot of detail in the eyes at the same time as blowing out unnecessary detail elsewhere. No doubt someone from CSI Miami could take that eye and produce a detailed photo of the photographer...

#6 I'm glad you avoided the obvious cliche of a wide-angle shot taken close to the end of the horse's nose. That can be fun (I've done it myself) but when it's done too often it can lead to long faces all round. You've managed to preserve a lot of detail even though you took this facing close to the sun. And that eye is really sharp, too. If you shot this as a JPEG, rather than RAW, then you're doing really well with Gimp. As for the subject, you've framed it well, with the neck as a leading line into the picture from bottom-left up to the face; with branches coming down at the top stopping our eyes from wandering out of the frame; and with just enough background at bottom-right to complete the frame, taking our eyes back to the face, and with the trees emphasising the almost-halo effect around the horse's head. What at first looks like a snapshot looks, on closer viewing, like a well-considered photo.

Thanks again Gary,

Its really great to get your feedback its a real insite into my own pics, I guess I'm taking the shots I like the look of but find it difficult to put into words why I think they work :). Your feed back has fed my confidence I'll be heading out today with my camera with the hope that I be more consious of what I'm looking for when I frame my shots. The Girl in the red towel is my daughter. The Boy chomping on the fence is my Grandson (step).

Thanks again and don't worry I'll lean back from bombarding you with questions and requests for feedback :)

If your ever in the Forest of Dean hit me up so I can bug you further in person!! :)

Heres one last picture for this strand just to show my daughter and step Grandson recently (you can see were the previous fence chomping shot came from!)
MIA_and_KEANE_Aug_2011_Beachenhurst_park.jpg

That's it, I'm giving up :( I'd be pleased to achieve these results after 40 years experience, let alone as someone newly interested in photography. I'm the latter, but think you must be a professional being unduly modest?

Anyone want to buy a load of camera gear?

:( :(

That's it, I'm giving up :(

Hold on a minute, Mark. I've just looked at the photos you've posted on TP and there's nothing wrong with any of them. In fact, the portraits are well-framed for the most part and that lifebelt shot is pretty good - there are a lot of people who'd love to be able to shoot that kind of thing and get those results. A whole industry has built up around retro-style photos like that lifebelt photo.

If you're not getting the kind of feedback you'd like, maybe you could vary your subjects; shots of your family look great to you but other people prefer their own. It doesn't always take 40 years to get good and I happen to think you're doing fine.

I wasn't being serious Gary, I was just trying to emphasise how good I think these shots are for ANY photographer, let alone one who's only just getting interested.

The feedback I've had so far has been great; honest and helpful, which is way way better than false praise, so I've no complaints there at all.

I do understand the problem with family shots, but I have tried to post with questions that make the subject irelevant; I'm not after having people tell me what a lovely family I have; rather where I can improve my photography no matter who's in it. In fact several of my posts have been along the lines of "do I only like this because it's my family/I was there?".

I guess most people starting out have mostly family pictures, because it's family who'll put up with a beginner. I my case it's also difficult to find enough time for my family as it is, so combining family time with photography is an obvious good solution.

Thanks for your encouragement. I've found this forum in general to be extremely encouraging, and I'm sorry if it sounded as if I was ungrateful; that wasn't my intention at all.

Mark

Sorry for the misunderstanding, Mark. Your post had so many :( smileys (frowneys?) that I took it more seriously than I should.

And sorry to the OP for diverting the thread.

Gosh, we're a sorry lot, aren't we? :)

I should have included a few winks!

ha ha ha - I'm soooo pleased I found this forum :)

Many Many Thanks for the compliments, I hope to branch out and get more technical with my shots.

I was out the other day and didn't have the confidence to ask an interesting looking person if I could take his portrait, I've kicking myself since what’s the worst he could have said .... no??

How do you go about approaching this situation?

I'd love to know that too; it's just not in my nature to walk up to complete strangers and ask to take their photo, or to take the shot regardless (unless I have a very long lens!!).

If they're doing something interesting it's not so bad, but "you have an "interesting" face; can I take a picture of it?" doesn't feel likely to get a good response!

Ha Ha ;)

I was hoping you'd come back with a tried and tested line to take, guess I'll have to stick to friends and family for a while!

I read a post somewhere that they hand people a business card before snapping away, sort of a professional ice breaker and shows some credibility. Loving the photo's Ian especially No3 and related pic :)

I was out the other day and didn't have the confidence to ask an interesting looking person if I could take his portrait, I've kicking myself since what’s the worst he could have said .... no??

How do you go about approaching this situation?

Apart from friends, I only shoot candid street portraits, not formal ones, so I'm probably not the best person to comment here. But one of my friends has had very good results by saying that she's a hobby photographer and that it would really help her if she could improve her portrait shots, and "would you mind helping out?".

Of course, you could always try the candid approach...

Thanks all I really like the ideas

Last edited:
Back