First trip to Mach Loop.

Edit My Images
Yes
yesterday I was lucky enough to find some time to go to the loop. A place I have wanted to visit for a good while. So, after 4 hours sleep (not intentional) and setting off just after 4am I was in the car park at Bwlch.

I was only equipped with a 70-200mm (after some questionable advice) and it was one hell of a climb to the exit.

Lots learned, some shots I was happy with. I had to leave before the F-15’s came through and was buzzed in the car park by an A400m.

Attachments

• 4D8CEBC0-EBC4-4144-B5C2-FE2DD9033E7A.jpeg
    4D8CEBC0-EBC4-4144-B5C2-FE2DD9033E7A.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 193
  • 4C9E68F3-F0BA-4E4D-9374-41CA5CA7C1E4.jpeg
    4C9E68F3-F0BA-4E4D-9374-41CA5CA7C1E4.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 178
  • 81620DDF-E431-4AE5-9E2E-0B9B92D0F6C8.jpeg
    81620DDF-E431-4AE5-9E2E-0B9B92D0F6C8.jpeg
    184.5 KB · Views: 182
  • 890035A2-7BF7-4B2F-92BB-F7E8183F272F.jpeg
    890035A2-7BF7-4B2F-92BB-F7E8183F272F.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 173
  • 34A03782-8387-4A83-9B6C-6B47BC159683.jpeg
    34A03782-8387-4A83-9B6C-6B47BC159683.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 172
It’s a great place. Just be aware, the hike up the hill is quite an effort, but fine if you stop for regular breaks.

The 70-200mm was great for the big stuff like Hercules and A400’s. Too short for hawks and fast jets.

I had the 150-500 in the car but was talked out of it and I listened for some inexplicable reason. There was no way I was walking back for it.

Everyone up there seemed to have 400mm at the long end of their lenses.

After the farce that was my 'special treat' day off this week at Derwent Reservoir, your plane photos have given me renewed hope. You've taken some good photos there, and you've also learned from what you've seen and will be better prepared next time too. (y)

Something of a 'photography workshop' experience into the bargain! (y) I know what you mean about walking back for the other lens too... after the 4 hours driving and 7 mile 3 hours walking on Wednesday my calf and shin muscles have given me a rather painful reminder that I'm no longer as young and fit as I once was! :banghead:

Last edited:
Cool photos, and getting some action on your first visit is a plus :)

Thanks. To be honest, the scenery was so stunning up there I could have coped with a blank. There were 26 passes yesterday, I saw probably half of those before I had to leave.

Next time I go, I will have a better idea, and will engineer my childcare better so I can spend the full day up there. It was a bit last minute, having only decided on Wednesday that I was going.

Was really hoping for a tornado, so that was my only downside. I missed the F-15’s too, but I want too bothered about those, for some reason they have never tickled my fancy.

After the farce that was my 'special treat' day off this week at Derwent Reservoir, your plane photos have given me renewed hope. You've taken some good photos there, and you've also learned from what you've seen and will be better prepared next time too. (y)

Something of a 'photography workshop' experience into the bargain! (y) I know what you mean about walking back for the other lens too... after the 4 hours driving and 7 mile 3 hours walking on Wednesday my calf and shin muscles have given me a rather painful reminder that I'm no longer as young and fit as I once was! :banghead:

Haha, the climb looked less challenging that it was. A bit like the ski slope you look up as you ascend the lift and then when you look down you think ‘no chance’

But yes, it was a fact finding mission. I was all set for going to Derwent on Wednesday but binned it and this was my plan b. I also had a client bail on me for the Friday so it meant I could relax. Plus I was meeting a friend at the loop who I only see a couple of times a year so that was a bonus.

I’m just glad I took plenty of warm clothing as despite the whole day of beautiful sunshine, the wind was bitter and relentless.

All in all a great day, lots learned and plenty of action. The drive was pleasant enough too, although not as much fun in my big clumsy 4x4.

The drive was pleasant enough too, although not as much fun in my big clumsy 4x4.
Well, there's always that to look forward to, even if driving a 4x4. :) A couple of years ago I had what turned out to be a lovely run down to the Pembrokeshire coast in a LR D3: in fact one stretch of road in mid-Wales was so nice to drive (lack of traffic, progressively curving bends, scenic views and red kites flying overhead) that I momentarily thought about turning round and driving it again! Only a strong commitment to environmental conservation prevented that. So don't worry about big and clumsy, it's what you do with it that counts! ;)

Last edited:
Well I managed 39mpg on the run so I think that shows how steady I was going :)
I averaged around 30 MPG on that trip, despite some rather 'spirited' driving in places, and propelling close on 3 tonnes of vehicle that has the aerodynamics of Windsor Castle! :whistle: Mind you, when I got there I volunteered my car as a 7-seater shuttle bus for some of the other training course participants, which saved the use of two other vehicles. Used sensibly, there's nowt wrong with 4x4s. (y)

We're off for a week next weekend in our newly converted camper van so may stay at Barmouth and have a go at the mach loop as I understand Cad East/West is only around a 10 minute drive from there.

some lovely shots there
will try to get there someday
bit far from Edinburgh

Did you use crop sensor or full frame. What time did you get there and what time did you leave?

Glad you got some traffic on your first trip. Mine was a blank, we were car parked by the weather Hawk at 8:30 then climbed Cad West, sat in a cloud for a few hours then went home. 8 hour round trip for nothing, that was 10 years ago and I’m still going back.

Oh dear my legs have still not forgiven me yet :eek:

Really jealous. I need to get up here to take photos. Having climbed most of the mountains in Wales (Snowdon 4x), I have seen the planes below us a lot and often get buzzed by them when driving down the valley roads.
Haven't been up there since I have had decent camera kit capable of taking reasonable photos. Its a long drive from Surrey!

You did well there.
I used to visit regularly, both the Bwlch and both sides of Cad.
Early visits with the 40D crop and a 70-200 would suffice, then the 300mm on the 5D3.
It's been a while since I went, but it's challenging at times.
Those Hawk T2 often give little notice at the Bwlch (at any of the 3 levels) and they are zippy little things.
The Hercs are slower and you got some great topside work.
Even if they never show, it's a fantastic place to visit scenery wise.

I've been meaning to get to the loop for ages. I'm right on the south coast so its a bit of a trek :-(

I've been meaning to get to the loop for ages. I'm right on the south coast so its a bit of a trek :-(
It is a fair drive.
It takes me about 4.5 hours to get there from Portsmouth area.

yesterday I was lucky enough to find some time to go to the loop. A place I have wanted to visit for a good while. So, after 4 hours sleep (not intentional) and setting off just after 4am I was in the car park at Bwlch.

I was only equipped with a 70-200mm (after some questionable advice) and it was one hell of a climb to the exit.

Lots learned, some shots I was happy with. I had to leave before the F-15’s came through and was buzzed in the car park by an A400m.

First time I went I took a 100-400 and found it to be too long as my panning skills are crap.
I spoke to some of the people with big lenses and they seemed more interested catching the pilots expression more than the aircraft.

Looking at your shots I must have been on the other side of cad.

It is a fair drive.
It takes me about 4.5 hours to get there from Portsmouth area.

Ah - nice to know. I am in Portsmouth area as well.

I toured Wales on the bike a couple of years ago, alas i did not take my camera with me, shame.

Ah - nice to know. I am in Portsmouth area as well.

I toured Wales on the bike a couple of years ago, alas i did not take my camera with me, shame.
I went around wales quite a bit last time I was there but that was because it was raining and the planes don't fly.

Back