First try at football photography

Nope.. There is a massive difference betwee park football and pro football for a photogrpaher.. park football the players are more likely to turn and run towards the center circle or the bence... there are no fans behind the goal...

To expand.. You also dont have to worry about your DOF as the backgrounds are usually miles away.. this means you can go f5.6 f8 or wahetver for goalmouth shots getting everyone in focus.. also park football is rarely about the goals and cele for media.. its more about getting everyone in action for the players/family ect ..

Different mentality to park football photogrpahy than pro football..

My advice was general and meant with best intentions.

In any case, at any level I think the joy of victory in sport is just as interesting as the action itself. A celebration always makes a good photograph... as does disappointment in defeat.

Last edited:
Well i've been told then...

oh what? :(

what did I get wrong this time? i genuinely thought i was joining in and offering advice as someone who has litrally done hundreds upon hundreds of park football games...its not telling..its advice and knowledge being passed on..

In any case, at any level I think the joy of victory in sport is just as interesting as the action itself. A celebration always makes a good photograph... as does disappointment in defeat.

who has said different? I was agreeing but saying those pics will come from the opposite direction in park football..i wasnt saying dont get celebrations.. quite the opposite.. i was advising how best to get them..

is it one of those days where everyone takes everythign wrong or what ?:(

sod it.. i will go do some pic editiong instead of trying to help ...

If its non league or lower league. i normally sit between the halfway line and the corner flag. You'll be able to get more action ie headers,tackles and defenders running with the ball. Also ive noticed alot of celebrations run towards the dugout after a goal to celebrate with the manager/staff. This is a great shot, and not many people sit there so you have something no one else has ( which is vital with football photography)

Cheers fellas, some more great advice. There is hardly any supporters at any games unfortunately :( will try out some of the recommended postions

Hopefully will have access to a 100-400 for my next match! :D :D :D

Great thread and have picked up a few more tips. I was wondering how you go about getting allowed to go on the pitch side? I watch and take pics of some non league football and would love to get pitch side for the lower angles on shots

:)

Great thread and have picked up a few more tips. I was wondering how you go about getting allowed to go on the pitch side? I watch and take pics of some non league football and would love to get pitch side for the lower angles on shots

All I did was contact the local non league club chairmen. Some ignored me and some didnt. I chose to talk with those that didnt ignore me and asked if they would be interested in allowing me to take some shots of the game in return for putting a few images up on their website. Game on

I was lucky that a friend of mine plays for the team I photograph so just rocked up with my camera and went from there really. Had a word with the Chairman, and he really likes my work, yay! :)

I must remember to take a small stool with me next time!

Dont know where in Derbyshire you are but we played Borrowash Victoria in the FA Vase and they seemed a great bunch , if you are near them I bet they would be happy to allow you pitchside to get some shots

The only criticism I could have is that on the 3rd photo, it looks like the keeper should have led with his hands and not his feet :D But seriously, some great looking photos here. Something I wouldn't mind trying myself in the future but reckon mine would be Sunday league to start with.

WOW the 100-400 lens is unreal! Went out with it yesterday, and out again with it in a hour for another game! :D

Just hope there is more light than yesterdays-was awful :(

Last edited:
WOW the 100-400 lens is unreal! Went out with it yesterday, and out again with it in a hour for another game! :D

Just hope there is more light than yesterdays-was awful :(

This lens is crazy! Found out today I need more storage, when through 23GB in the game, and I had to delete some! Luckily borrowed another 8GB off a friend last minute!

Kipex, was looking at your site before the game. Some great work on there :) I picked up quite a lot!

The stool helped massively aswell, I think I was too low tho! Well I sank halfway down due to the mud! :(

Importing now :D

Too much Christmas pud :D

The lower the better though (y)

Hahaha :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Yeah little things like that can make a VERY big difference! Saved me getting a wet arse too! :D

Final count for two games was 3070 photos and I had to delete some mid game!

One thing I did struggle with was getting real close to the action! I ended up zooming out abit and then tried to keep the ball in frame-and then crop in post. When your zoomed right in trying to keep the ball in frame is difficult! Ended up trying to keep track of the ball with my left eye and focus with my right!

Also could do with some tips on goal-mouth action. I keep tracking the ball, but also try and get some of the action with the players-and iam kinda finding it difficult tbh :(

Last edited:
8354418967_5a75fcb897_c.jpg

8355479668_e2b5fb301d_c.jpg

8355479114_1c468e8bdc_c.jpg

8354418493_e4e6e1b223_c.jpg

Thoughts on these? Hows the P&P?

Last edited:
1. Player in the way and only half the ball visible - would have deleted.
2. No ball in the shot, but otherwise good crop/shot.
3. Shame the players in the way again, otherwise would have been a good shot with a tighter crop.
4. Wonky horizon and the balls travelled to far from the players - would have deleted - needs better timing.

Sorry to be so critical, but with all the shots you took, I would have deleted some of these in camera.

Diamondsnapper said:
1. Player in the way and only half the ball visible - would have deleted.
2. No ball in the shot, but otherwise good crop/shot.
3. Shame the players in the way again, otherwise would have been a good shot with a tighter crop.
4. Wonky horizon and the balls travelled to far from the players - would have deleted - needs better timing.

Sorry to be so critical, but with all the shots you took, I would have deleted some of these in camera.

Diamond, that's just the C&C I was after-honestly! I want to get the best I can and need honest advice! It's noted.

What do you think to the P&P? I shot over 3K photos so got loads more to choose from. I've learnt loads already and hope that shows!

Iam shooing a night flood lit game tomorrow-can you offer any advice?

Thanks again :)

Last edited:
You are taking a lot of pics. I know I take too many ( wasted frames) but usually less than 600. I have an 8gb card and it never fills up with jpg. Perhaps you need to be more critical in when to press the shutter. That way you save space and time not trawling through all those images?

You are taking a lot of pics. I know I take too many ( wasted frames) but usually less than 600. I have an 8gb card and it never fills up with jpg. Perhaps you need to be more critical in when to press the shutter. That way you save space and time not trawling through all those images?

I agree with Carol. I average about 300-350 shots combined from two bodies.

As Carol says, try for quality not quantity. Think about what works like 1 on 1 tackles, celebrations, etc and be selective. Short burst of 2-3 shots each time. Wait till the action is close enough that a small (!) crop will fill the frame.

These are just some of the things I'm working on myself because I'm no expert and still very much learning.

The main reason I took so many was to try out this lens! Past football games I normally take about 800.

A few news ones :)

8377261275_2559d49ce3_c.jpg

8378302304_e4dd030135_c.jpg

8378663578_c685f9ac00_c.jpg

8378665214_22cfae3d6e_c.jpg

8378296212_4abb557372_c.jpg

The bloke in the last pics hair looks like its about to fly off :D
Definitely a massive improvement over your first pictures, just keep at it and you'll keep improving (y)

Well excited, will be using the 100-400 again this weekend :D and get to use it with my new 7D

Weather looks good too, and the game has two friends playing against each other. One upfront and the other a keeper-you can imagine the picture I already have in my head :D

24-105 L

I was going to attempt to use an an old Sigma AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO doubt would have been upto much tho.

I took a set of photos, like these with exactly the same lens on my D40. I found it easier to manually focus. My method is just follow the ball and keep on shooting.

You can't help messy backgrounds sometimes. Of course a faster lens at full aperture will stop action better and blur out the background, but if you use a larger aperture lens there's more chance of getting out of focus images.

You can always straighten horizons and crop afterwards, so I usually shoot slightly wide.

Nice photos, do more!!
phil

Really enjoying the football at the mo :D

8594224333_f8d429f7b9_c.jpg

8595324660_26cb0b4105_c.jpg

8595320322_f340a76c46_c.jpg

8594216805_621a3fd629_c.jpg

8652611773_863bc0555e_c.jpg

8652630241_d2daf61fe5_c.jpg

8652693427_342df826f1_c.jpg

8652730677_838b332f5d_c.jpg

And this one made the local paper :D still annoyed I missed a cartwheel cele :(

8653872270_d3c1983870_c.jpg

Iam still unsure on how to frame goal photos-really need to work on that!

Lots of action, looking good.
I'm trying to get into this also but I'm not the biggest football fan so it's a bit strange at the moment :)

Can I ask what settings you use when shooting? I has left mine on shutter priority 500 and auto iso.

Cheers!

I was lucky that a friend of mine plays for the team I photograph so just rocked up with my camera and went from there really. Had a word with the Chairman, and he really likes my work, yay! :)

I must remember to take a small stool with me next time!

This is what I found also after a few matches. Stool along with bin bags are must-have for me. The pitches are often very wet and muddy.

This is what I found also after a few matches. Stool along with bin bags are must-have for me. The pitches are often very wet and muddy.

Yup it's the small things that can help out massively! The other simple thing for me was to try and find the cleanest background.

Back