First try at motorcross

Name
Edd
Edit My Images
Yes
Took these at the start of summer when I was first learning how to use my camera. Quite happy with how these few turned out. (I did have to loose around 200 other though:wave:)

Struggled with the dust at times but it seemed to add to some of the shots.

Used my Nikon D7000 with the 70-300mm.

DSC_2262 by Edd103, on Flickr

DSC_2283 by Edd103, on Flickr

DSC_2409 by Edd103, on Flickr

DSC_2287 by Edd103, on Flickr

DSC_2255 by Edd103, on Flickr

Comments and tips welcome.

Just noticed, I've made a mess on my first post :( Apologies.

Can a mod please move this to the Motorsport section please.

For me all but the last are really under exposed, you might want to try and avoid shooting into the sun where possible as that is going to make your life harder...that last I'd say could stand a quarter of a stop exposure boost too :D but it's a really cracking shot the focus looks excellent, the love PoV and DoF make it a really appealing image (y)

I wouldn't say they were nearly all underexposed, the 4th one clearly is, the others are ok.

The 4th one is probably buggered up by the headlight of the following bike...

You've certainly picked up one thing - getting down low is cool. Its a groovy compositional technique that with most other motorsport you never get to do (rarely are you track level even as media, they make you stand behind barriers and tyres but not at MX!). The viewing angle of a shot is interesting, mentally, if its low then the subject is dominant and if its high, the viewer is dominant. Its a funny human psyche thing going on, but it does mean low angles you are more in awe of the machinery.

High angles also can work, but you are saying something different with those.

Anyway, hope my ramblings are helpful! (y)

Thanks for the comments, at some points during the shooting I was flat on my stomach. The riders must have wondered what was going on!
One of the first things I was taught was not to shoot at eye level, try to get different angles than what we see already.

Picture 3 wasn't zoomed in either, managed to get a face full of dirt on that shot.

Thanks for the comments, at some points during the shooting I was flat on my stomach. The riders must have wondered what was going on!
One of the first things I was taught was not to shoot at eye level, try to get different angles than what we see already.

Picture 3 wasn't zoomed in either, managed to get a face full of dirt on that shot.

Good first effort although i wouldnt have included no3 and no4 in your set - Put them in your scrap folder and only keep whats saveable.

Getting low is great and obviously helps the shot, but laying flat on your stomach is a silly move whilst shooting a dangerous sport that your not experienced at with riders you dont know (and that you cant trust their ability). Not sure how much you understand about the way and direction bikes go when they loose control, but keep in mind you need a good escape route for when things go tits up.

Andy

^^^he's right...

Without sounding like The Man, its always a good idea to have cover or an exit route with all motorsport.

Whilst MX is probably less dangerous than say WRC rally, its still quite dangerous for spectators or photographers...

always have an escape planned!! when im taking the close ups I always have a hill top fall down or a way out of some kind. flat on the belly is ok if you far enough away - also very hard to pan flat on ya belly...

Same with bike instruction - I did a lot at one point and you always need an escape route... never ride where you cant get out!

yeah agree, although i do at times push things a bit to get a shot but i normally position myself in a way i can spring out the way quickly. i have a few times been very very lucky to get out the way when it has gone wrong and its not always when your taking a shot, ive had riders get a jump wrong and come flying off the side and off the track where i have been standing. imagine a bull fight, well that was me a few weeks ago lol too the left too the right !

Agree with the above re your safety have taken a few hits from stones last one full in the face but I do get to close at times but as said it goes wrong and very quickly my brother in law got hit by an MX bike while shooting this year he was OK but shook him up.

Re your shots you did good first time out liking 1+5 (y)

I totally understand the safety aspect, I was on my stomach at times but when I was I was well away from the track/action and way out of the path of the riders. I just had to zoom in a bit.

Regarding picture 3, this was taken on a slow tight corner and I was stood behind two trees for protection.

I'd never put myself in danger just to get a photograph.

Back