First try at water droplets

Name
andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

ok so these were from my first attempt at water droplets.

Nikon D90 sigma18-200 @ 200mm M 1/250 F22 ISO400
Bowens compact flash to the right hand side.

the water was in a paint tray for a roller. and was rather dirty you can see this in the pics :/

i want to get a bigger tray and, i had problems with reflections from the tray being in the water :/

bad / good commments welcomed. im new and learning :D

thanks

link to flickr ones

http://www.flickr.com/photos/a_thompson954/4392557009/in/set-72157623521657352/

Last edited:
Hi Andrew,

Not bad at all for a first attempt but I agree you definitely need a new tray. Its getting the collision shots that is the hard bit.I've been trying for ages to get one . Racking up the shutter count on the D40X(y)

They're cool :) Focus is good, though perhaps a touch out on the second. Try lighting by reflecting off a white surface behind the drops; that way you won't get any reflections from the bottom of the tub at all. However with milk, as you're using, it's nice to have some light from the front too, as milk is too opaque to be purely lit from the back.

Next step is def collisions, hehe ;)

They're cool Focus is good, though perhaps a touch out on the second. Try lighting by reflecting off a white surface behind the drops; that way you won't get any reflections from the bottom of the tub at all. However with milk, as you're using, it's nice to have some light from the front too, as milk is too opaque to be purely lit from the back.

thanks, i did have some photo a4 paper behind to try and reflect the light off..

i was using one of these though.. http://www.bowens.co.uk/content/pages/strobes.html
so i think the light was going all over the place rather than just hitting the paper and reflecting from that.

i will try and make a snoot so i can direct the light more. with any luck i will have another go tonight :D with a new tray and more understanding on how to do things.

Not bad at all for a first attempt but I agree you definitely need a new tray

cheers lol, it is filthy! im going to pick up a new one today with any luck :D

Its getting the collision shots that is the hard bit.I've been trying for ages to get one . Racking up the shutter count on the D40X
Next step is def collisions, hehe

tonights challenge :D

thanks. Andrew

thanks, i did have some photo a4 paper behind to try and reflect the light off..

i was using one of these though.. http://www.bowens.co.uk/content/pages/strobes.html
so i think the light was going all over the place rather than just hitting the paper and reflecting from that.

i will try and make a snoot so i can direct the light more. with any luck i will have another go tonight :D with a new tray and more understanding on how to do things.

thanks. Andrew

Ah ok. Which one exactly are you using? They have a strobe effect do they? I was looking for something like that... I think I might have a play with making a snoot for my flashes too :)

Good luck!

Great shots mate!
You're on the slippery slope to "drop" addiction!!

Back