First use of Gels (CTO, Tungsten light, Orange car)

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
My first night of trying out off camera flash Photos under rubbish orange street lamps for my mates car on Friday... After some advise, if I may? :D

His car Is orange/gold... He wants photos of his car at a location that I know has orangey yellow crappy Tungsten street lamps...

Im guessing FULL CTO gels on each flash and get a custom WB for the street lights will still keep his car orangegold yes...? It wont try and make it white/blue or something daft?

Other option is switch to half CTO (maybe even quarter) and head to an underground car park near by with more normal temperature yellowy lights and bounce them about a bit.. seeing as the walls etc will be white the camera should have a better idea what's going on then (after setting the new white balance)?

Ive never used gels and my car is out of action at the moment so Cant head out there early to experiment before hand..

I did look on the Strobist 101 guide but doesnt really come close to my situation, just says about balancing light sources..

Doomed for failure? Or will it work just fine?

I'd go half cto and custom wb somewhere in the middle to keep some of the orange tones from the lights

the tungsten lights in your house should be ball park so you could do some testing there

Good Idea! Didn't click that the lights in the house are a toned down version of the ones on location. will have a pop at that tomorrow.
Im guessing that by going half CTO and when white balancing away from tungsten a bit it will also keep the car the correct shade?

(Im not too fussed what the surrounding area colour comes out as provided the car remains the correct shade of light orange/deep gold against it to provide a bit of contrast)

yeah, as long as your white balance is right for the gel you can use any gel you think of to make the bg lights any colour you like

personally I think tungsten lights look cool and atmospheric so would be tempted to leave as is, or meet in the middle with the half cto. I would also go with a grey card custom white balance to work from

Back