First Water Drop

R

Rob.Richards

Tonight I got the chance to use my new flash off camera and I thought I would experiment with water drops - quite frustrating isnt it! Anyway best of the bunch for me, comments welcome!!

3767326110_737ee408ea_b.jpg

Used: Canon EOS350D, Sigma 105mm Macro, Manfrotto 190XPROB & 804RC2, Sunpak PF30X.

Settings: TV 100, AV f10, ISO 1600, RAW

EDIT: Tweaked levels in PSE5 and converted to JPEG

Hi Rob

It certainly is frustrating, but it is exceptionally rewarding when it works! It's also very addictive :D There's absolutely nothing wrong with the shot for an early attempt! and I guess you learned loads from the shoot?

If it helps? my suggestions would be: make notes of what worked (it really does help).. Perhaps try a lower angle as it gives better depth to the shots and why such an ISO? Try a long shutter speed (1 to 2 seconds) and fire the flash manually :) This way you get a steadier shot and it's easier to fire and point the flash where you want it!...anyway hope this helps

Steve

PS: The shot is a bit large for the forum and the pixel police will be around soon :)

Nice first attempt Rob. Keep at it with Splog's recommendations and they will improve (y)

Try a long shutter speed (1 to 2 seconds) and fire the flash manually :)

Sorry for the hijack. When you use the method where you capture the drop using the flash do you have to have a dark ambient light?

Nice first attempt Rob. Keep at it with Splog's recommendations and they will improve (y)

Sorry for the hijack. When you use the method where you capture the drop using the flash do you have to have a dark ambient light?

That's what I do :) although it only needs to be a bit dark, not pitch black!

Thanks for the coments!

It was a high ISO as I was working in the kitchen and there wasnt a great deal of light at 11pm! Sadly I cant fire my flash manually but i did have it off camera so found that really useful.

I think i need to use a larger thing to put my drops in as I was only using a regular bowl and it was quite difficult to get a lower angle and more depth, so will definitely try that!

Sorry about the size, I though 800 pixels by longest side was ok?!?!?

Cheers for the comments

Rob!

Back