First Wedding as Guest/Photographer....

Name
Storm Trooper
Edit My Images
Yes
Earlier this year I was asked to shoot a wedding for a family member :help: I told them straight if they want a wedding photographer get one, I would be a guest with a camera if the wanted. Not normally a people person but have been to Whitby for the Gothic weekend a few times and shot some candids for my brothers 30th and it's those shots they have seen.

About a week before the wedding they arranged to pop round for a chat, with them they had a check list which they must have printed off of the web for the shots they wanted :eek: that's more than just a guest with a camera. The whole wedding from start to finish was being held here.

Kit wise I'm not too bad(see sig) I picked a few more cards up and a fast prime.

Arrived about 10.15 for the wedding at 12.00 with the best man and headed off to see the groom.

Here is the function room that will be changed around 3 times during the day

Groom finalising his speech
Wedding Prep_1 by foggy4ever, on Flickr

Shot of the rings
Wedding Prep_8 by foggy4ever, on Flickr

Bride laughing which she did quite a bit.
Service-22_1 by foggy4ever, on Flickr

Registrar

Service-39_1 by foggy4ever, on Flickr

Bride laughing a Fathers speech

Reception-28 by foggy4ever, on Flickr

Groom listens to bestmans speech..yes a little soft on his face more through excessive nr
Reception-40 by foggy4ever, on Flickr

Last edited:
Bride and Groom

Formals-06 by foggy4ever, on Flickr

Bride

Reception-43 by foggy4ever, on Flickr

First dance

First Dance_7 by foggy4ever, on Flickr

Dance floor action

Dance Floor_4 by foggy4ever, on Flickr

For a first time wedding shooting I did enjoy it but want to do it again.......maybe for family ONLY.

Did I make mistakes, of course I did this was only the third wedding I've ever been to so I didn't know too much about weddings anyway yet alone shooting one.

C&C most welcome, all shots have had the bare minimum PP for B&G to look over before choosing prints.

For a first attempt I am really impressed to be honest. I recently did a wedding for my brother in law and I managed to pull it off. Not as good as I would have liked (me being picky) but the B&G were over the moon.
The only things I can see that need thinking about are what else is going on in the frame.
The one with the Bride laughing during the speeches is great but I would have included the whole of the guys head. :)
Anything else would be me being picky to be honest but I can see you have a natural flare for this type of work. Great shots all round.
It's damn hard and stressful to do a wedding and it takes a clear thinking mind to pull it off. For your first time I honestly think you have pulled it off really well.
:)

Nipples NSFW.....lol

On the whole they all look a bit underexposed so could do with a push.

#8 looks like great exposure on the bride and female guests but the dress is blown, so that tells me you have metered it wrong, easily done especially if you were using flash.

Can you post some exif details?

Not bad for a 1st time.

Thanks for the comments guys, at work on phone till late this evening so will answer fully tonight.

Nipples NSFW.....lol

#8 looks like great exposure on the bride and female guests but the dress is blown, so that tells me you have metered it wrong, easily done especially if you were using flash.

Not bad for a 1st time.

:thinking: Bringing the dress back into the exposure range would mean an underexposed shot.

Don't know if some photoshop wizardry would look right here?

For a first attempt I am really impressed to be honest. I recently did a wedding for my brother in law and I managed to pull it off. Not as good as I would have liked (me being picky) but the B&G were over the moon.
The only things I can see that need thinking about are what else is going on in the frame.
The one with the Bride laughing during the speeches is great but I would have included the whole of the guys head. :)
Anything else would be me being picky to be honest but I can see you have a natural flare for this type of work. Great shots all round.
It's damn hard and stressful to do a wedding and it takes a clear thinking mind to pull it off. For your first time I honestly think you have pulled it off really well.
:)

Cheers Darun, I have a wider shot of the bride laughing but the focus is on her father and shooting wide open she is a little OOF.

Feel free to be picky (y)

Nipples NSFW.....lol

Not bad for a 1st time.

Nipples...I forgot about the manboobs in the first shot and didn't remember the registrar in a low cut top :LOL:

Privacy settings change in flickr for the above shots so full exif should show.

Thanks for stopping by Tom, was looking forward to meeting you at the Barn weekend last October but sadly you didn't make it.

(y)

Last edited:
Back