First Wedding Photography Assignment - Poor mans lens hire

Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

I'm very new to this forum, this is my first post but I would like to say hi and also to ask a question that has been on my mind for the past few weeks.
I own a Canon 7D and it is my first serious Wedding I will be photographing, my assignment date is the 4th of may 2012.

I'm looking for some good sound advice on what single lens I should hire for my camera that would give the best and most professional result.

I already have a set of Prime lenses Nikkor 28mm CRC, 50mm, 105 mm.

I was thinking to go with the 28mm CRC for the majority of the wedding as I love the quality of the images from these fast Prime Lenses they really give in my opinion a professional result but my issue is I can't keep changing lenses in the Wedding as the environment will most likely be fast paced.

If someone more advanced than me could please start the ball rolling on the best fast lens to hire that would give me a professional result for my first wedding ( if possible similar to my Nikkor Primes) I would be most grateful.

I'm based in UK if you also know any London Based rental companies that would have your suggested lens I would be really happy to hear from you. I can only afford one lens and the image must be of a really high quality as I'm looking to start my career in photography and am serious about the results of my first job..

Many Thanks guys!

K

boyfalldown said:
Those Nikkor primes work dead well with the 7D :LOL:

Their nice but Would you not recommend a zoom lens with AF? I mean really do you think shooting with a 28mm in manual would be suitable all the way through?

Hi and welcome to TP.

Man I can guess the way this thread will go......... where's the popcorn emoticon when you need it.

I'm about to hit the hay (UK based too), but would say go with the Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS. I would also say, as this sounds like you are 'The' Photographer, to have a backup body, flash, glass, memory, batteries etc as if something goes wrong you don't want to say to the B&G you are off as you can't keep on shooting. My advice is to beg, borrow, rent, whatever is needed, doesn't have to be top of the line, but it does have to keep you shooting at the level the B&G would expect.

Now I will leave for the land of nod and look forward to seeing which way this thread goes....... no matter which way that is, I hope you get everything sorted out for the big day and that it goes well so the B&G get the photos they are expecting.

Their nice but Would you not recommend a zoom lens with AF? I mean really do you think shooting with a 28mm in manual would be suitable all the way through?

that wasn't what I meant - I'm unsure if you're taking the p or not, but for a serious answer to that question I'd recommend not using the 28 at all for your first wedding and getting hiring a 24-70 zoom

Well it's for friends really but it's also a chance to break into things, I'm sure everyone here started from nothing and can be humble enough to share their knowledge... I was joking about the 28mm thing... I just want to know the best all rounder fast lens I can hire for this event...

The Nikkor 28mm 2.8 AI-S (guessing it's this one via an adapter) is a fine lens, but I wouldn't want to shoot a wedding with one, even on a full frame camera with split prism focusing screen, never mind a cropper with a smaller viewfinder!

I'm no Canon user but if you're going to be renting one lens, surely the 17-55 2.8 (IS) has got to be the one.

Yep my kit included 2 batteries for Cannon and about 2 x 16gb and an 8GB card. I did get advice from someone else to go for 28-135mm so I was a little confused...

Sorry, shouldn't you at least be aware what aperture and focal lengths you may need? A backup camera? The date is very close, there is less and less time to practice let alone ask these questions.

in addition to the above I would also suggest a 70-200mm F2.8.

Backup body + backup flash + lots of batteries + memory cards is a must.

Are you using nikkor lenses with a canon?

Do you have a converter?

I use a 70-200 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 18-105 kit.

I also borrow a 24-70 2.8.

This is all you would ever need on a wedding.

you also need a back up body, 2 flash units, cards, batteries, etc.

You have nikkor lenses, I assume from a previous camera and a canon body. Do you have any canon lenses and/or a nikon camera body? if you serious, how are you attaching the nikkor lenses to the canon body, as they have different attachments, using an adapter?

As for recommendations for kit for a wedding, depends on the location as to what type of kit you need. example a flash unit (if you're allowed) for indoor shots, tripod (maybe), 2nd camera body, lots of cards and batteries and more importantly several lenses.

As for the lenses, 24-70mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8 IS MKII, wideangle lens for group shots because of the 1.6x crop factor on the 7D, (never rely on a single lens) and several prime lenses.

Don't take this task lightly, photographing a wedding is definitely not an easy task, just roll up on the day and take a few photo's just ain't going to get you very far, you'll need to see the venue and plan out how you want to play the day, without spoiling it for the couple (its their day), its actually very challenging, thats why we hear about so many problems in the media about so called wedding photographers. Its a task I personally wouldn't undertake.

I have an adaptor for my Nikkor lenses, no second body I'm afraid, like I do say it was for a friend. The Nikkors were for my film making thats what I have a qualification to do, I was asked by groom to assist as they don't have the money to pay a "professional" photographer being the recession and I know a lot of you have got slightly inflated with my lack of equipment but contrary to what you may believe I'm not being paid for this and the reality of the situation is many people getting married in this financial climate can't afford pro photographers so I was asked in order to keep cost down, that being said I'm self judgemental about my work I want the best result within my budget, considering I can only hire a single lens and it comes out of my pocket.

I have:

A tripod
2 x Canon Batteries
2 x 16 GB cards
1 x 8 GB card

Yongnuo YN-560 II Flashgun

Lenses
F-mount adaptor

28mm CRC Nikkor f 2.8
50 mm f 1.8
105 mm f 2.8

that's it really all I'm working with, I was planning to just use the 28mm CRC or the 50mm as it takes time to change lenses, if the rain doesn't hold up I should have some time away with the bride and groom, my main lens as somebody mentioned was a 17-55mm Cannon f 2.8 and I guess that's what I was going to use most of the way through. For the portraits the 50mm or the 28mm that's what I thought... I'm really grateful for your advice though the ones that suggested the lenses it has been a good learning curve... I don't know what I would do for the group shots though was thinking the 17-55 could also handle the wides but I'm more concerned about the rain now :/ thanks for your help!

Thank you Both yes my confidence has increase slightly hearing that :) stress is something We must all learn to handle after all nothing good is achieved without great effort I believe. Many Thanks :) K

I would 2nd the 17-55 f2.8

I hired one along with a 70-200 f2.8 for the recent wedding I did.
Both were invaluable to have with me albeit the 17-55 saw the most use.
On a 7D I'd say the above lenses hired are your best bet.

I'd also suggest getting your hands on an ETTL flash as your yongnuo is a full time manual flash, unless your confident with manual settings for flash exposure in a fast paced environment I wouldn't recommend using it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would hate to do a wedding with only 2 batteries,i really wish you all the luck in the world with this.:)(y)

jockwav said:
I would hate to do a wedding with only 2 batteries,i really wish you all the luck in the world with this.:)(y)

Good point, I took 4 plus charger and used 3 in total. May be worth getting another couple if you can.
Even if you get ones from 7dayshop.

Last wedding I did as a free favour for a friend, my best shots were from a 70-200.

Highly Recommend!

The 2 Canon batteries should do OK, I get more than enough to do a wedding with a pair, the only thing would be if one died, apart from that (as with most things) there isn't a problem.

I always have 4 cameras and 2 batteries in each so if something did happen I'm fine :) but the OP isn't shooting pro so not expeced to have as much kit.

I'd definitely get another battery (7DayShop clones are fine).

On full frame I would say a 24-70 2.8 is most useful at a wedding so on crop it would be the 17-55 2.8 IMO. Buying the 50mm 1.8 couldn't hurt either if you can afford it.

You could also really do with some sort of external flash gun, depending on the venues you are going to be shooting in.

I always have spare batteries and I've never needed them.

Flash batteries I swap regularly, but camera batteries, nope!

Although we're not particularly prolific shooters 1000-1500 in a day, and that's over 3 cameras.

I'd definitely get another battery (7DayShop clones are fine).

:agree::plus1:

The weather has turned damn cold again, so don’t be fooled into thinking just because you get X No of shots from a battery in your home that the same will apply outside at a weeding in these temp’s because you won’t.

The cold will drag a battery down like you would not believe. :nono:

Mark

I'm one of those people that will always shoot prime if I can BUT if I'm the only shooter then I always go with a fast zoom - it's very possible to miss a great shot when changes lenses or when too close/far away to compose properly!

I've had batteries mysteriously discharge before - so i always carry spares (for a full day i'd usually carry 8 , though thats for 2 cameras each with a 2 battery grip on them)

I'm not getting drawn into the who pro/am or backup/no back up argument as we've had that to a farethewell already and it always goes the same way.

In answer to the original question I wouldnt try to shoot a weding with nikon primes on a converter which limits you nto manual only - did you get a kit lens with your 7D ? - if so that'll be just about adequate so long as the light doesnt suck too badly

alternatively you could get a nifty (50mm f1.8) for about 50 odd quid second hand

and the best lens hire people ive found are lenses for hire.com - coincidentally stewart is a member here - and i'd suggest something like a 70-200 f2.8 from them.

I've got a 24-105 f4 L, a 50 f1.8, a 70-200 f2.8 IS L, a 100 f2.8 L macro, a 60D and a 5D3 and wouldn't even think about doing a wedding (not a paid gig anyway) until I've got a couple of fast primes (85 f1.8 and something around 28-30 FL) on top of those. With having 2 bodies that take the same batteries is a godsend and I've got 5 CF cards and 5 SDHC cards and about 7 batteries as well, and 2 good flashes (1 Canon 580EX II and 1 Nissin Di866). A couple of lenses more and I'd be confident of covering all bases.

we did our friends wedding a couple weeks back and between us we had:

5dmk2
1dmk3
2x sig 70-200 f2.8
sig 50 f1.4
sig 24-70 f2.8 hsm
sig 14 f2.8 aspher (didnt use)
canon 24-105 f4 IS
canon 580mk2
yongnuo YN560
armfuls of eneloop AA's
armfuls of cf cards
spare 1dmk3 bat and spare 5dmk2 batts

AND i was panicing about not having everything we needed :LOL:

I've got a 24-105 f4 L, a 50 f1.8, a 70-200 f2.8 IS L, a 100 f2.8 L macro, a 60D and a 5D3 and wouldn't even think about doing a wedding (not a paid gig anyway) until I've got a couple of fast primes (85 f1.8 and something around 28-30 FL) on top of those. With having 2 bodies that take the same batteries is a godsend and I've got 5 CF cards and 5 SDHC cards and about 7 batteries as well, and 2 good flashes (1 Canon 580EX II and 1 Nissin Di866). A couple of lenses more and I'd be confident of covering all bases.

Different strokes and all that but i wouldnt even think of carrying all that at a wedding - you'd spend more time changing lenses than taking pictures and thus miss all sorts of shots - I'm of the school that says two bodies ,1 lens on each (say 24-70 on one and 70-200 on the other if shooting FF) 2 flash guns one on each and you are set.

If I think i'm going to need to do close ups of the rings etc i also carry a compact with a good macro setting.

A third body and a couple of back up lenses stay in the car for emergencies

If you're only shooting with one body & you don't need anything too wide for the groups or first dance I'd suggest a 24-105. The first 3 weddings I shot were with that lens & everybody was very happy :)

Last edited:
If you're only shooting with one body & you don't need anything too wide for the groups or first dance I'd suggest a 24-105. The first 3 weddings I shot were with that lens & everybody was very happy :)

With no flashgun and a widest aperture of f4 you could definitely be struggling in some scenarios though. I like the natural light/shallow DOF look most of the time as well personally.

Having said that, I used to think I wanted to just use primes, but the 24-70 2.8 snd 70-200 2.8 do allow you to do the vast majority of stuff at a wedding pretty nicely. I bought the Tamron 90mm macro too for ring/flower shots and it works a treat btw.

Not sure I could part with my nice 24mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.4 primes though. :)

Last edited:
With no flashgun and a widest aperture of f4 you could definitely be struggling in some scenarios though. I like the natural light/shallow DOF look most of the time as well personally.

Having said that, I used to think I wanted to just use primes, but the 24-70 2.8 snd 70-200 2.8 do allow you to do the vast majority of stuff at a wedding pretty nicely. I bought the Tamron 90mm macro too for ring/flower shots and it works a treat btw.

Not sure I could part with my nice 24mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.4 primes though. :)

The IS on the 24-105 should mean that even ceremony shots will be OK at f4 with the iso up high. I shoot them week in week out at f3.2 on a 24-70. The IS will offset the slightly slower shutter speed

Hey guys sorry to jump back in my own thread at the last hour, the big day is tomorrow!

I have a youngnuo flashgun and just got the hire from the post from lensesforhire.co.uk the 17-55mm f2.8

It looks to be a pretty nice lens and looks the Buisness on my 7D, however the autofocus started playing me about, not sure what I'm doing wrong but I thought I'd learn from you pros as I would hate to ruin my friends big day...

Well when I press the shutter down half it focuses but I get these red flashes in the viewfinder, I do wonder what's going wrong.

I was considering keeping the camera set in TV mode and using the top dial to change the shutter speed in each environment but maybe I'm doing something wrong,

Well I know full auto is no good so I have to pick a mode for use tomorrow I have used TV before with my old lens to great effect.

What mode and the use of it would help me tomorrow, I'm pretty good with my 7D and would like to stay away from full auto..

Would you recommend the TV mode?

Ps Mark is right, adaptor all the way! I tested the 17-55mm it's good but it just doesn't seem to have the clarity when you zoom in.

I still feel like I want to stick to my primes :( but I know I will have to focus on the 15-55 and use it to best of my ability...

I packed my 28mm CRC and my 50mm I don't think the 50mm would get much use :/

What do you mean red flashes? It sounds like it's just the AF indicators in the VF. I suppose if you are used to using MF lenses you might not have seen them before.

Like this?

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1...7&start=24&ndsp=30&ved=1t:429,r:18,s:24,i:163

It's a shame you haven't had a bit more time to get familiarised with the new lens. I normally use Aperture Priority for weddings and just adjust the exposure compensation and ISO manually to make sure I get a decent exposure/shutter speed. I would suggest just going with whatever setting you are most used to using though.

Good luck!

Back