Beginner First Wedding Portraits

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
Well that's it over, shot my first solo wedding on Sunday it was for an old friend I used to work and play football with. I warned him and told him he was mad going with someone who'd never shot a wedding but he insisted he would be happier with someone he knew doing the photos. I spent a long time preparing, practicing, purchasing and fixating on weddings before it. Overall the day went pretty well, it rained all day unfortunately, but cleared up at night thankfully, and I definitely felt a bit rushed and missed a few things I wish I'd got but overall I think I did ok for a first outing. So glad I purchased the D750 before the day, that thing almost never misses a shot.

Here's the first couple of shots from the portraits that I edited last night to get something up on facebook for them, obviously not every image will be able to get this attention and I've picked what I think are the stronger portraits but they've certainly been well received on facebook and the couple seem happy. Would love to here what more knowledgeable folks thought too.

Bride by Craig Dawson, on Flickr

Bride and Groom by Craig Dawson, on Flickr

Well done Craig, that's the first one under the belt, ....'and relax....'
I love the first one, the framing is very nice (although clipped on the tiara at the very top); nonetheless, for me, looking up shots should include whites under the full iris and you have caught the balance well here. Colour looks subtle, any increase in exposure in levels would probably accentuate a hotspot on her left cheek.
I think you had a great idea in No2. Light at the rear of the Groom on both sides is a challenge. The positioning of the couple is good; some may say there is too much light bleed leading to flare, I think maybe a 1/2 step to the left would have afforded a same view and imposed lovely rim lighting. The flare has bled a little over the Grooms face. I find my personal battle with flare is that it leads to muted colours. Again, just be conscious of the edge of the frame in terms of fingers and elbows.
Delighted that the couple like them. Great incentive for next time.

I'm looking at these on a properly calibrated Eizo and either my eyes have suddenly gone wonky or your white point's out. Be that as it may, though, these are jolly good snaps. I'd have been perfectly happy with the first one, and with t'other too if flare shots were my thing, which they never were at weddings. The only thing that bugs me about it is that spurious bit of flare on his right sleeve, which IMO does rather stand out like the proverbial. It'd be a doddle to zap.

When do we get to see some more?

Thanks for the comments, I'm unfortunately working off a crappy dell laptop and swapping between a samsung tv for colours :( I took white point off the dress initially but both have been toned in photoshop when editing so may have lost it a bit. I know I need to get a monitor but need some cash first, will try to get one before I finalise the images as I've got a well used d700 to shift but everyone on facebook is used to instagram whites anyway so can hopefully get away with it just now.

I know the flare shots are a bit marmite, I have similar shots where its not as strong but liked the tone in this one and figured most people are focusing on the bride in photos so losing the groom a wee bit drew focus back to her was my line of thought?

I've overshot, and still feel like I missed parts, so have 3000 images to sort through, so will be starting to cull them and get editing over next few days as had to process their photobooth first to get it up yesterday. I've some other shoots on during that time which need quicker turn arounds as this was virtually a freebie as I really wasn't all that confident taking it on.

... most people are focusing on the bride in photos so losing the groom a wee bit drew focus back to her was my line of thought?

I've overshot, and still feel like I missed parts, so have 3000 images to sort through...

Being a bit picky here, but the groom looks in sharper focus than the bride, and at F2.8 it's unlikely you'd have got both in sharp focus.I like the shot, though with a narrower aperture you'd have got both subjects sharp and the background would still have been oof.

The first one is a great shot, could maybe be a tad brighter?

You're going to be busy with the culling/editing over the next few days/weeks!

I have one coming up in September ... and I would be well chuffed with results as you have shown here so far. Looking forward to seeing more!

These look really great Craig. Well done with all the prep it most certainly paid off. Loving that first image mind you the one you posted up for practice was fab too.

Gaz

I think for a first solo shoot that looks promising.

You have an ultra picky audience here in other photographers, but that can only be good for learning.

I think the first shot is a winner, yes a little more pop would help but the composition is pretty good. In addition to some of the other points mentioned in respect of number 2, the B & G appear to be looking at slightly different angles. Getting their full attention and ensuring they both 'follow your finger' will correct this in future.

Well done.

(Of course it always helps when you have a good looking couple too.)

;)

The first one seems a little dark for me? Lovely portrait though, I'm sure she'll be chuffed with that as it's very flattering.

The whole sun glare thing just isn't my thing so won't comment on the second one but we are in the business of keeping the client happy, not other photographers, so I'm sure you'll have two happy customers here.

Ths sun glare one is a shot i continually get asked for (even with lens flare - go figure) so from a sales point of view its a winner. There both nicely captured image man, well done. id probably boost the shadows a tad and soften the contrast but thats a style thing i guess.

Well done!! I bet they love them.

Back