First wedding (solo) gig coming up - any advice

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Hello folks

I've got my first solo wedding gig coming up this weekend. I've done 3 in the past few months alongside another photographer doing the reportage stuff while he does the 'formal' stuff. But, he's booked out, likes my work and has given me the job on my own, representing him kind of thing, plus 2 more next month assuming this goes well :eek:

As a bit of background - I'll have my newish D200 with 18-70 lens and SB800 flash, plus my D70 with the Sigma 70-200 2.8 on for any candid opportunities I get. Mrs Dangleman will also be with me to help organise and shout at people (she's good at that:) ), and as this is the hardest thing from what I've seen I feel it takes the pressure of me a bit.

So, I'm a tad nervous though, and am looking for any nuggets of advice/ wisdom that any of you lot might have, as I've seen some of you mentioning you've done weddings before....

my advice

know your location inside out (and plan where you want to do what). visit the day before at the same time. look for lighting, shadows and check your settings. take your partner with you and take some test shots. this will build your confidence on the day.

know your flash just as well (fill & inside lighting)

try to keep your gear bag as small as possible, and dont swap glass too much or too often

look good (smart) and smell good

be polite, friendly and look relaxed. Act as if you have done 1000's of weddings

be sure that you have communicated sufficiently with the b&g prior to thier big day. get lists of what they want shots of and follow it.

dont be obtrustive. I use my 70-200 loads. if you get in the way people will be aware and they get self concious = crap shots

have backups of everything (body & flash), plus batteries etc

during the best mans speech shoot the guests reactions to jokes....it is almost a certainty that you'll get some great shots.

overall relax, plan your approach from a technical point of view (metering modes for different times, focussing modes, flash usage etc etc) and dont get trigger happy - its far easier to take 100's of poor shots than a few well constructed shots.

good luck!

Hi Morgan

Thanks for that, all good advice. I've already checked the venues out, and met the bride and groom. The venue is an old church, but it's very dark and a bit tatty insie, and outside you can't move for gravestones (which is a no no in wedding shots) - there is an area that should be ok though assuming the weather is ok. The reception is also not great, is basically a pub. The bride and groom seem alright and quite relaxed about things. I think they fit into the "no idea and not really bothered" category about what shots they would like though and are probably only having photos "cos that's what you do at a wedding".

My biggest worry is the weather, due to the poorish venues, as if we can't go outside we'll be really stuck to get anything nice.

^^^ good advice^^^

Definitely wear a suit and tie to look like the pro you are, and out of respect for the function you're attending. ;)

Organising the folks for shots, particularly with large gatherings, is definitely the most potentially stressful part and the bit where photographers are prone to start getting snappy with people and making themselves unloved. Whether you're shooting a series of photos at the request of the B&G, whether they're leaving it entirely to you, or it's a bit of both, either have a written list of the shots you'll definitely be taking, or a very firm list in your head. Nothing looks worse than dithering about on the day.

Enlist the aid of the best man to stop people wandering off and to keep them available for shots (he'll know who most everyone is). Keep it light and cheerful but get your job done as efficiently as you can. Pre planning and covering all the angles is really the key to everything going smoothly.

Be prepared for the worst the weather can throw at you. You can end up taking all the shots indoors. I'm sure you'll be fine. Try to relax and enjoy it. :)

Thanks CT, all good again. I have my regulation photographers outfit that I've recently got for weddings/ posher events - snappy brown jacket and 'slacks', cool slightly battered looking but smart brown boots. No tie though, I think a photographer can get away with that (guy I work with is of same opinion but we look smart!) I always judge a photographer on his footwear, if it ain't cool brown boots, can't be any good :LOL:

I already had the idea of grabbing the best man early on to help with things. I got married last year and my best man was nicknamed monkeyboy for the day, think it's to be expected really.

Back