First Wedding

Name
perran
Edit My Images
Yes
im doing my first wedding for a colleague at work next month just wanted some moral support from peeps on here with experience !!

i have some good kit Nikon D300s, Nikkor 12-24 f4 50mm f1.8, sigma 24-70 f2.8, and Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 vr11. flash SB900 and a good tripod !!
plenty of battries and memry cards!

the wedding is around 40 guests so not to bad ..hopefully !

any pointers will help !

im doing my first wedding for a colleague at work next month just wanted some moral support from peeps on here with experience !!

i have some good kit Nikon D300s, Nikkor 12-24 f4 50mm f1.8, sigma 24-70 f2.8, and Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 vr11. flash SB900 and a good tripod !!
plenty of battries and memry cards!

the wedding is around 40 guests so not to bad ..hopefully !

any pointers will help !

I've never done a wedding, but i would say head to the venue before hand to get an idea of the light you have to work with, and where you could get good shots, pre plan shots iyswim.

Get a list from the couple as to what pictures they want, ask them to have a look online for the sort of shots they like.

ETA: good luck! are you doing it alone or will you have a 2nd??

A nice kit, though a backup camera body would be a good idea just in case.. ...

Are you shooting the bridal prep too?? Always make nice shots... ...

All the best, enjoy it.!

Moey!

All the best, enjoy it.!

Moey!

Definitely do the bridal prep if you can - I always find the bride LOVES these shots - even if they weren't too keen on having them done ahead of time. Its a really fun part of the day for me as well - its not normally as pressured as people think and the atmosphere is great :)

I'm doing my first one (favour for next door's daughter) on Saturday, I'll let you know what I mess up...!!
(I don't tink you'll need your tripod though??)

Best of look, as said another body would be good if you can beg borrow or steal from a mate. never seen a tripod used but you can take it and not use it no point not taking it and wishing you had it.

also take someone to carry your kit so you dont have to :D

I've been reading a wedding photography book recently which suggests the use of a tripod but if the shutter speed is slow enough to warrant it you will get blur from subject movement surely :shrug:

The tripod is quite good to use to compose groups shots better so no post process cropping or alignment should be required. It creates a working space for you and generally guests tend to not stand infront of one.

With a smallish wedding group like that you shouldn't need to swap lenses much. Whereabouts is the venue/what is it called?

I'd definitely do a recky pre wedding meeting the couple to go over shots and have some idea of what you are going to shoot.

Outside shots use fill flash to prevent "panda eyes".

If the D300s is a crop camera you'll probably need the 12-24 as the 24-70 isn't really wide enough.

Hire a 2nd body - there really is no reason not to. It might be a small chance but do you want to be saying to the bride 'I'm off home now my camera appears to be stuck' outside the church? At this point your being 'not bothered about a 2nd body' isn't going to have her forgive you for a lack of planning just because she's your only customer.

A 2nd body does also help you to shoot faster - for instance during speeches for a wide atmospheric views of crowd reactions and h&s shots of the speakers.

All the best, enjoy it.!

Moey!

i havent got a second camera body unfortunetley and yes doing bride prep too !

thanks !

The tripod is quite good to use to compose groups shots better so no post process cropping or alignment should be required. It creates a working space for you and generally guests tend to not stand infront of one.

With a smallish wedding group like that you shouldn't need to swap lenses much. Whereabouts is the venue/what is it called?

I'd definitely do a recky pre wedding meeting the couple to go over shots and have some idea of what you are going to shoot.

Outside shots use fill flash to prevent "panda eyes".

i have recced the venue it is in basingstoke ..nice lighting and lots of open space and even a park near by !! the reception is at a pub/wedding venue type place again with lovely gardens etc..

i have recently purchased a SB900 flash but still trying to get to grips with it !! so many settings on it arghhhhhhh !

just need some sunshine

thanks for the advice !

Having just started doing weddings I find a second body invluable saves a lot of time changing lenses as well as a back-up so I would ditto re hiring one.

I would also agree with taking the wide the angle, I have a 24-70 on a cropped body and wish I had something wider, my next purchase will be either a full frame camera or a wider lens.

RE the church/registry office it would be worth finding out in advance if there are any restrictions on where you can stand or take photos. It varys from vicar to vicar

If the D300s is a crop camera you'll probably need the 12-24 as the 24-70 isn't really wide enough.

Hire a 2nd body - there really is no reason not to. It might be a small chance but do you want to be saying to the bride 'I'm off home now my camera appears to be stuck' outside the church? At this point your being 'not bothered about a 2nd body' isn't going to have her forgive you for a lack of planning just because she's your only customer.

A 2nd body does also help you to shoot faster - for instance during speeches for a wide atmospheric views of crowd reactions and h&s shots of the speakers.

thanks for this,... good advice may be able to borrow a D90... and yea i love my 12-24 its a great lens with D300s which is a DX ..

Having just started doing weddings I find a second body invluable saves a lot of time changing lenses as well as a back-up so I would ditto re hiring one.

I would also agree with taking the wide the angle, I have a 24-70 on a cropped body and wish I had something wider, my next purchase will be either a full frame camera or a wider lens.

RE the church/registry office it would be worth finding out in advance if there are any restrictions on where you can stand or take photos. It varys from vicar to vicar

spoken to the reistrae and they have no issues or rules so thats good! and yes i agree the 24-70 on my DX just isnt wide enough the Nikkor 12-24 f4 is a brilliant lens and would highlyreccomend it !

absolutely brilliant advice so far !! picking up tips from you guys many thanks keep em coming !!

Hi Perran,

Planning is key when shooting weddings, work out where you want to do the group shots and try to visit the venue at the same time of day which will will help you finalise your shots in your head, for the positioning of the formals. Ideally visit the venue with the Bride and Groom before hand and do some portraits, to get them used to being in front of the lens, they will be more relaxed on the day.

I would agree with the others that you should have a 2nd body and don't leave the 24-70 at home, if one lens fails you have covered yourself.

Good luck.

Good luck...
be firm when giving out instuctions better still get one of the bosy women there to give you a hand always helps

wide angle for inside car also car + BRIDE & GROOM outside if it a fancy car
you will find you use the 24-70 most
your 70 -200 inside church if allowed so you not ontop of them
Also photo style milatary style or casual mine casual style some millatary,
look for trees not brickwork for groom bride outside always looks better
there a few weddings on my flickr but not many as they private to them only if the letme will I put some on there
give you a idea maybe on style
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54887916@N00/

Last edited:
Hi Perran,

Planning is key when shooting weddings, work out where you want to do the group shots and try to visit the venue at the same time of day which will will help you finalise your shots in your head, for the positioning of the formals. Ideally visit the venue with the Bride and Groom before hand and do some portraits, to get them used to being in front of the lens, they will be more relaxed on the day.

I would agree with the others that you should have a 2nd body and don't leave the 24-70 at home, if one lens fails you have covered yourself.

Good luck.

thanks for the advice

Wow you guys give good advice....

My first wedding photography is going to be in St Lucia.. Cant bloody wait!!
Bet your all thinking.. Shes crackers.. But the way i see it.. My boyfriends sister didnt have a photographer.. So me going to the wedding with my camera is a bonus for her and experience for me... : )... So she says..touches wood!!

Wish me luck guys....Hopefully i share some pictures with you soon.. :)

Question... You lot talking about a 2nd camera... Where would you hire one from.. ?? ... Is it expensive to hire one??

Kirsty x
Is that a stupid question??

Bet your all thinking.. Shes crackers.. But the way i see it.. My boyfriends sister didnt have a photographer.. So me going to the wedding with my camera is a bonus for her and experience for me... : )... So she says..touches wood!!

Wish me luck guys....Hopefully i share some pictures with you soon.. :)

Question... You lot talking about a 2nd camera... Where would you hire one from.. ?? ... Is it expensive to hire one??

Kirsty x
Is that a stupid question??

Kirsty i have looked into hiring one and yes it is expensive to hire one ..deposits plus insurance etc.. talking £60+ just for one day! ...and seeing as im doing the wedding for free im a bit loathed to pay out for more ! beg or borrow i guess !

£60 is absolutely nothing though is it in the grand scheme of things.. especially considering that's including insurance. You wouldn't want to pay out the £3500 to replace a D3s you've hired and some kid has knocked out of your hand!

Plus, it means you can have a WA on one body, a zoom on the other.. sorted, no lens change hassles.

Kirsty i have looked into hiring one and yes it is expensive to hire one ..deposits plus insurance etc.. talking £60+ just for one day! ...and seeing as im doing the wedding for free im a bit loathed to pay out for more ! beg or borrow i guess !

Shooting weddings for free is great, fantastic present for the B & G. The advice on this thread has been fantastic so far, but don't land yourself with a massive bill to do it - especially for a one off.

Why not explain to your friend the limitations of your kit and associated risks to your friend - then she can choose if she wants to pay for you to hire a body, or accept that risk.

As she not paying you at the moment, its not realistic of her to expect you to go to all the expense etc etc.......in being equipped to shoot a paying wedding

Last edited:
Shooting weddings for free is great, fantastic present for the B & G. The advice on this thread has been fantastic so far, but don't land yourself with a massive bill to do it - especially for a one off.

Why not explain to your friend the limitations of your kit and associated risks to your friend - then she can choose if she wants to pay for you to hire a body, or accept that risk.

As she not paying you at the moment, its not realistic of her to expect you to go to all the expense etc etc.......in being equipped to shoot a paying wedding

Totally agree Hugh a very good point to make.

Lots of good advice as here, but as I found out on my first solo wedding, if you can't think on your feet and adapt to changes quickly you are going to be screwed. I had a shot list, schedule for the day, and nothing, absolutely nothing went as it was planned too :D

And yes, a back up is important, even a basic D40/D60 is better than nothing.

It is my next investment, but I really want to hang back for the D800/D4 for the video, I'd love a D3s right now though :D

thats the point i was trying to make i know they are on a budget etc! and i have already spent out on plenty of extra memory and a new lens! if i could get a second lens i would but there is a limit to my expenditure ! i dont really want to borrow a body in case it gets dropped etc..

'xactly. There's a huge HUGE difference between helping out a friend and taking money for a wedding.

If I was taking some casual snaps for a friend then I may not even bother taking a spare camera with me (and there are at least 5 in the toy cupboard). If I pitched up to a paid job without backups then IMO I'm setting myself up for a negligence case.

For friends don't sweat it and don't worry them - I've only ever had 3 catastrophic camera failures at weddings.

For money CYA. Always.

I have never done a wedding but you should know some of the poses before hand here a some.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cieik0Mzpns&feature=related

Wow - Bambi's still great to watch! She taught me some of the first things I learned about wedding photography. But like a lot of stuff on the web that video sets ridiculously high expectations for a newbie.

Rockin'. I got married there. Photographer had a beaten up old Nikon and one roll of Kodak Gold. 32 decent images and 4 blinks. Photography near the equator is pretty easy cos it's the same every day ;) I bet you'll be fine.

You need to get to know the best man/ushers.
They need to be the ones sorting out the guests for the photos.

You'll probably find that if you shoot the shots in reverse you have more control.
Start with the group with everyone there, before people walk away and then work you way down till our left with the B+G. Stops people getting bored, and will also mean that you will only get the people desperate to get shots milling around.

Have a word with the B+G to make sure that they are looking down your lens, not everyone elses, otherwise your shots will be ruined.

Don't be afraid to whack up the ISO in the church. A grainy sharp shot is better than a blurry shot. It can at least be converted to mono and used. Blurry goes in the bin.

You should borrow the body, You can leave it in the bag, but it is there as a backup, just in case yours stops working. But have a play with it at home so you have an idea of how to use it.

Use the flash on ETTL, even outside. Nowt wrong with a little fill flash.
If you can get it off camera, great, if not then try to bounce it if your inside.

Have a list of the shots the B+G want and make sure you get them.

Don't bother shooting during the meal, people are not attractive when eating.
Have something to eat and drink yourself. You'll be knackered. Have a Red Bull and a Mars bar in the bag.

Make sure your batteries are charged, get an early night.

Work out a system with your memory cards - you do not want to be sticking a card in that is full and wasting seconds, and you don't want to lose them. Will you have time to back any shots up to a laptop during the day? Sooner they are backed up the better.

Have fun and good luck.

i would organize the photo shoot:
making a list with pictures with bride's family, husband, all together, parents only, cousin only, friends only etc....! will save you time!

I'm also covering a wedding for first time in sep.. I must say lots of useful tips here. Will save this thread on my desktop for future reference. Thanks everyone

i have managed to borrow an old Nikon D70 as a second Body now !

You need to get to know the best man/ushers.
They need to be the ones sorting out the guests for the photos.

You'll probably find that if you shoot the shots in reverse you have more control.
Start with the group with everyone there, before people walk away and then work you way down till our left with the B+G. Stops people getting bored, and will also mean that you will only get the people desperate to get shots milling around.

Have a word with the B+G to make sure that they are looking down your lens, not everyone elses, otherwise your shots will be ruined.

Don't be afraid to whack up the ISO in the church. A grainy sharp shot is better than a blurry shot. It can at least be converted to mono and used. Blurry goes in the bin.

You should borrow the body, You can leave it in the bag, but it is there as a backup, just in case yours stops working. But have a play with it at home so you have an idea of how to use it.

Use the flash on ETTL, even outside. Nowt wrong with a little fill flash.
If you can get it off camera, great, if not then try to bounce it if your inside.

Have a list of the shots the B+G want and make sure you get them.

Don't bother shooting during the meal, people are not attractive when eating.
Have something to eat and drink yourself. You'll be knackered. Have a Red Bull and a Mars bar in the bag.

Make sure your batteries are charged, get an early night.

Work out a system with your memory cards - you do not want to be sticking a card in that is full and wasting seconds, and you don't want to lose them. Will you have time to back any shots up to a laptop during the day? Sooner they are backed up the better.

Have fun and good luck.

thanks some great advice here!

Back