First Wire Wool Shots

Name
Callum
Edit My Images
Yes
Exploring the theme of "Dramatic Exposure" for my A2 Photography, so thought I had to do these really.

First Wire Wool Shoot by Callum Sullivan, on Flickr

Would mainly like critique on #1 if possible as that is the shot I am happiest with, but any other comments are fully welcome, thanks :)

I'd say that's a flipping great first attempt (y) the focus looks great and the composition is really good too on that first (y) I would be very happy to have produced that image (y) I recon that will go down really well with your course (y)

To the others again great technique (y) not sure about the colour or composition of the third :shrug:

Finally in the last one I would loose the bollards would only take a couple of minutes to clone them out (y)

I look forward to seeing you take this further (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Thanks Matt, appreciate your comments :) They're pretty easy to do once you have the equipment, and with your creative mind I reckon you could get some great results (maybe bring a few light trails in there too ;) )

Yeah the third has gone a little weird, and I could never quite get the composition right because of the bollards, plus it was the last lot of wool so couldn't re-shoot :(

How's about this for the last one?

Thanks, will be buying a lot more wool and really going for it, got a few locations in mind already (including a possible indoor one! (fire extinguishers at the ready!)) (y)

That's a really nice clean removal of the bollards (y) and to my eye dramatically improves that image (y) I look forward to seeing your upcoming efforts (y) I have a big pile of wool waiting for my next outing, but I'm also trying to source some more exotic stuff to have fun with :D

Matt

Thanks Matt (y) looking forwards to seeing what this more exotic stuff might be ;)

Thanks Paul :)

I agree a great first attempt. I prefer the last one with the bollards removed out of all the shots. Keep on experimenting.

Thanks everyone :) am looking forward to trying some more soon so will be posting up when I've done them :)

You'll need wire wool, a cage (I used chicken wire, egg whisks are also very easy to use), some rope (preferably non flammable) and something to light it with (I used a 9V battery). A fire extinguisher would be useful too :D

Attach the rope and cage to make a sling, then put the wire in the cage.

Set the camera up on a tripod and get everything set up and ready to take the shot.

Light the wool and release the shutter, and get spinning the sling.

Keep spinning till the end and you'll have your result :)

Back