First world problems

Name
Stewart
Edit My Images
Yes
In Berlin recently, we overheard a couple of ladies talking about their travels.
"Vietnam was absolutely awful, Julia just couldn't get her hair straighteners to work at all!"

Classic first world problem. What first world problems have you experienced / overheard?

A few years ago now, but we were on a train in India & there was a young Japanese couple who were travelling around like us.
We chatted with them briefly & later noticed over half an hour or so, he kept fiddling with a watch & seemed to be annoyed at something & speaking to his girlfriend about it.

I asked him if there was a problem.
He said he was a little annoyed & thought he'd been ripped off because he'd bought the watch only a couple of days previously & it wasn't working.

He handed it to me & as I held it, it felt quite heavy. I proceeded to pull out the winder, set the time & wound it up. The look on his face was brilliant :wideyed: (no battery? :LOL: )

Went "wild camping" earlier this year. Basicly just rough pitches in a forest with some basic amenities at the reception shed.
Whilst waiting for the toilet a woman walked past with a look of thunder on her face and exclaimed to the bloke with her. " I can't believe they don't have phone charging points, I'm never coming here again"

It's all quite pathetic really. I had some clients for a 5 day windsurfing course that I was taking. They cancelled on the second day because the water was too cold...well no sh*t sherlock, you're in a fooking Scottish loch. I heard them mutter things from heating the water (that made me LOL...really loud) and heated wetsuits.

I'm going, before I make myself bleed with facepalming too much.

I do find that the 360 degree camera system on our Mercedes is not light sensitive enough. I can't see fully around me when looking at the display in the dashboard inside the car.

Yeah, the flare on my reversing camera is horrendous!

Most of the crap on TV or in the media theses days :(
And the heat that my large screen plasma kicks out, I have to change the HVAC system settings to cooling :(

I was in a small town shop waiting to be served when the old dear in front of me turned to her companion and sniffily said "Come along dear, let's go, it smells in here" It was a cheese shop!

Not a problem but over heard in the schoolyard 'Come on Tabitha, we have some ciabatta lets go and feed the ducks'
??? What is the issue with that?

Headline news today. "And the winner is... La La Land" The Oscars 2017 cock-up dominates the news sites. I had to do a lot of scrolling to get past blow by blow accounts of who said what and who was responsible. It even pushed Trump news down off the page. The wars, floods and famine news hardly gets a look in. Perhaps they should hire better PR people before they perish in Chile, South Sudan, Ukraine, Mosul and the rest.

I can't decide what to call the dining room now that we've changed which room the dining table is in. Having two living rooms would be confusing.

All mere trifling matters. However - no organic quinoa left in waitrose! I mean come on!

First time I heard the phrase was when I had returned from working in Timor Leste, doing a village sanitation project for the charity I was with.
Sitting in a pub with my sister and her husband, he was very engaged in his phone while I was telling them about the issues in TL.
His worry was that he was unable to get the sky app on his phone to delete something from the sky box so he had space to record something else.

My sister looked at me and simply said, "first world problems".

Don't worry. Trump will make the first world great again. He'll put the first world first! Or a least, one bullet riddled, bit of it.

Last edited:
no organic quinoa left in waitrose! I mean come on!
I had to google that, looks like solid Tapioca to me and *just* as appetising.

We now have 4 vaccum cleaners, one for each floor of the house plus a spare, it solves the 1st World problem of carrying one cleaner up or down stairs......:rolleyes:

I've just had a think about that ^, and after a consultation with management I've been informed that we don't have a spare one, the 4th vac is actually mine and its for vaccing the stairs, thus negating the physical advantages afforded by a multi vac household.

I think its important I stop trying to think now:hungover:

oops

Reactions: BBR
We now have 4 vaccum cleaners, one for each floor of the house plus a spare, it solves the 1st World problem of carrying one cleaner up or down stairs......:rolleyes:

I've just had a think about that ^, and after a consultation with management I've been informed that we don't have a spare one, the 4th vac is actually mine and its for vaccing the stairs, thus negating the physical advantages afforded by a multi vac household.

I think its important I stop trying to think now:hungover:

oops
Didn't there used to be a system where new build houses had a dirty great vacuum machine installed somewhere in the house (Probably the cellar.) and connection points were built in to every room, a bit like electric sockets, where you just plugged in your hose (stop snigering.) and vacuumed away?
Please note I may have been drinking and just imagined this.

Didn't there used to be a system where new build houses had a dirty great vacuum machine installed somewhere in the house (Probably the cellar.) and connection points were built in to every room, a bit like electric sockets, where you just plugged in your hose (stop snigering.) and vacuumed away?
I remember seeing such a thing in American films from the 90's. But then every American family in the 90's lived in perfect suburbia usually in a large detached house with equally large detached garage and a Mercedes on the drive.

I dunno, I was watching a docu about a big social housing project built in Leeds in the 60's called Quarry Hill Flats, it was a small self contained town of 1000 flats built to house the "working class".
It was cutting edge at the time and included a waste disposal system with an outlet in every flat in to which you chucked your rubbish which was transported away....somehow ?... to an incinerator which in turn provided heating for the complex, the scale of it was nutz.
I can't image it would be too hard to throw a few flexi hoses up the inside of newbuild walls, connected to a vac somewhere, its the type of thing they'd do 50 or 60 years ago so I highly doubt you imagined it...:D

My cousin had one of those in a self-build house in Scotland that she pretty much designed/specified herself. I've no idea whether it worked well or not.

Our last house had or used to have one of these. The vacuum unit was missing, but all the pipework and connection points were in place

So back on track, how poor is the choice of wine in the Tesco "meal for 2 for £10" category? :rolleyes: (the real problem is the lack of a healthy dessert, since M&S have fruit of some sort in their "Dine in for £10")

As it was cold this fine morning and hail stones abounded my car misted up just as i drove off the drive way, I had to wait a few minutes for it to clear - First World Problem - Good thread has made me think!!

What happened to us all.............do we still appreciate simple things?

So back on track, how poor is the choice of wine in the Tesco "meal for 2 for £10" category? :rolleyes: (the real problem is the lack of a healthy dessert, since M&S have fruit of some sort in their "Dine in for £10")
I think you're expecting a lot from the deal.

I think you're expecting a lot from the deal.

I thought the smiley/emoji would have been a big clue that it wasn't meant as a serious comment, but I'll be less subtle next time. (y)

Back