• Nikon

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Samyang

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I have been considering getting a diagonal fish-eye lens, either the Nikon 10.5mm or Samyang 8mm, or maybe hiring one, but just wondering if in people's experience, the fun lasts for a week or two and then it ends up in the drawer?

And a question or two:

- The Nikon focuses down to 3cm in front of the lens, where the Samyang only focuses beyond 15cm in front of the lens. For something that's meant for extreme up-close photos, is a minimum focus distance on 30cm taking a bit of fun out of it?

- The Samyang appearently has a more "pleasing" even projection, is it actually more correct, or just better looking?

Thanks

When I used to shoot weddings the fisheye allowed me to get images in tight corners that were just impossible using any other lens.

Besides, I really like the fisheye effect so it is a "yes" from me, well worth the space in the kit bag !

I like the effect too but you can de-fish with a filter from Image Trends and it just makes it a super duper wide angle.

What they said!

For something that's meant for extreme up-close photos, is a minimum focus distance on 30cm taking a bit of fun out of it?

?

Rather the opposite - fisheye lenses were originally developed in the 1920s to take whole-sky images for meteorological research.

Reactions: Nod
Thanks for all the replies, I'm convinced. I just need to choose between the Nikon and Samyang now.

?

Rather the opposite - fisheye lenses were originally developed in the 1920s to take whole-sky images for meteorological research.

Yes, I did know that but probably not always the way they are used by artistic photographers.

I've had my Samyang 8mm fisheye for almost 14 months. It lives in my bag, goes everywhere with me and gets regular use. At first you experiment with it but soon get used to what subjects and compositions suit the fisheye lens. There's a good selection of fisheye shots in my Flickr fisheye album here https://www.flickr.com/photos/sbell/sets/72157645716691674. I shot the first 30 minutes after leaving Park Cameras the lens outside the British Museum, and the last at the Bradford Industrial Museum last week. I even shot basketball close action with it.

The fisheye lens can do many fun stuff. I'm more interest of doing 360 panorama photo.

I have just got the sigma 15mm fantasticly sharp brings a new dimension great for fun and serious shots

Last edited:
I got my Samyang last weekend and was playing around with it. Unfortnately it quickly became evident that everything was out of focus like in the photo below:

Pixel.jpg

A quick Google showed this is a really common problem but easy to fix. I had a go at adjusting it, but will do some more fine tuning next weekend

Samyang are a bit careless with the calibration of the focus end stop screws. It looks as though the lens is provided with a lot of focus adjustment play, perhaps for the end stop screws to adjust to different flange to sensor distances of the different camera mounts. Luckily these screws are easily available for user adjustment when you peel back the rubber covering at the end of the lens, a thick peel back cover provided for that adjustment purpose. Most people simply adjust these to give a correct infinity focus for their camera and leave it at that. But some ingenious people have discovered that you can if you like adjust the lens so that it will focus down very close indeed, some say as close as touching the lens. A fish eye macro! Some change the adjustment when they want to make a very close shot and then change it back. Some make the compromise of pulling the focus range in a bit so that infinity isn't real infinity, but hyperfocal infinity at their preferred max aperture.

The lens has such a wide depth of focus that it's rather hard to decide where the critical focus position is. I find it's best to stop down a little (it's a manual stop lens) to increase the sharpness to make the range of best sharpness more easily visible. It helps a lot if your camera has an LCD which can magnify the image or which can do focus peaking. You won't see a critical point due to the fisheye DoF , you'll see a range, so you aim for the middle of the range.

It's not something to get fussed over. It's an easy adjustment if you have tiny jeweller's screwdrivers, so it's not a problem if you get it wrong and have to redo it. It's much less of problem if you decide you don't care if the focus distance scale on the lens is wrong.

The question of its unusual perspective projection is interesting. Most lenses try to be linear in projection, which means that straight lines in the world are represented as straight lines in the image. That's what a pinhole camera "lens" does. A problem arises with that projection in wide views, which is that circles and balls start looking a bit weird and stretched near the edges of wide images, and people near the edges of group shots look fatter the nearer the edge they are. It's also difficult to make perfectly linear wide angle lenses, they tend to suffer from some barrel distortion. The simplest ways of correcting that tend to produce moustache distortion, which is either linear or very slightly pincushioned in the middle, and has a sudden droop into barrel at the extreme edges. That gives an optically better linear lens than an uncorrected one, which some people prefer, but one which is more difficult for simple minded software to correct to perfect linearity, which others prefer. Reviewers of wide angle linear lenses sometimes have strong and contrary opinions on this. The advent of cameras which can do in-camera lens geometry corrections (in ex-camera jpegs) to perfect linearity, with lenses designed to be corrected, i.e. designed to be imperfect but easily corrected in software to linear perfection, has complicated this philosophical issue.

A fish-eye lens is a way of avoiding the visual perspective oddities of wide angle linear perspective projection. It does this by aiming at preserving angles instead of straight lines. In other words, everything that the lens sees that is one degree apart in viewing direction ends up the same linear distance apart on the flat image. That curves off-centre straight lines, the more the nearer the edges, but has the advantage for group shots of not making the people at the edges fatter. But in order to get them all looking the same height you have to arrange the group not in a line, but in an arc of equidistance from the camera.

Once again this is difficult to do perfectly in a fisheye lens, and fisheye lens designers have chosen a variety of simpler to make near approximations to equiangular projection. I've never bothered to learn the complexities of projective geometry, but the impression I get is that the unusual fisheye proection of the Samyang has used new computer based lens design and manufacturing processes which has enabled them to get closer to a perfect equiangular projection. The difference in appearance is that it's a bit less extreme in its fishiness -- less exaggeration in the middle, less of the giant nose effect in a fish eye face closeup. It has the advantage also of losing less resolution when you defish it in the direction of linearity, which is a handy way of using a fish eye lens to get the effect of a wider linear lens than you've got, or indeed than anyone actually makes. That's sometimes best done by partial defishing, i.e. by leaving in some barrel distortion.

Note that there's a third kind of perspective projection easily available to us photographers: cylindrical projection. That's what you get with a panorama. It's linear in the vertical dimension, and equiangular (fish-eye) in the horizontal. That's often a preferable and higher resolution way of getting a wider view than a wide fisheye. That many cameras, (including some of the more innovative high quality exchangeable lens camera makers) now offer the option of doing a hand-held in-camera panorama has reduced the need for carrying a fisheye for those occasional rare emergencies when you want a wider linear looking view than your widest linear lens can supply.

All of the above really.

I had one, Siggy 8mm AF which I used on FF so kept either circular images or did lots of PP but then sold when I decided I had too much kit.
So from this:
IMG_4229.jpg

To this:
IMG_4229_1.jpg

But it was very sharp and very bright and 12 months' on getting my mojo back I've just splashed on a Samyang 8mm MF lens.

In 35mm fillum I have a Siggy OM mount which I like using, mostly as ultra wide rather than for interesting perspectives..

003_3.jpg

018_18.jpg

Fisheyes=fun not fad!

I use a Sigma 8mm which delivers a circular image on an FF sensor rather than one that fills the frame. IMO the ones that fill the frame are more like unrectilinnearly corrected UWAs and I have a very well corrected UWA for that sort of use!

I've used mine for all sorts of things, from comedy style close ups of animals (and people), car detail shots, oddly distorted architecture and even the original whole sky shot use when 14mm wasn't wide enough for Aurora shots.

Why not ask if a telephoto lens is a fad?
You use the correct lens for the job.

(and yes, they are fun!)

these fish eye adaptors you speak of? ive never seen these.... are they worth it? or as usual... is it better just to buy the lens?

these fish eye adaptors you speak of? ive never seen these.... are they worth it? or as usual... is it better just to buy the lens?

I believe they are worth their weight in dog turds. Samyang fisheyes are cheap as quality lenses go, stick to those!

You pretty much get what you pay for, here are a couple of examples taken with one of the cheap adapters:

Semi Fisheye 02 by Steve Bennett, on Flickr

Glow Behind The Trees by Steve Bennett, on Flickr

Both on crop sensors, the first on a kit lens at18mm, while the second is on a 22mm which loses the vignette. The edges are pretty awful, though it might be possible to use correction software to improve them in processing, not tried that yet. With full frame you can get the full circular image.

Someone mention fish eyes? :D

8053898122_66f3f260aa_z.jpg

180° for me! Is that St Maartens in the first one, Dan?

Back