Beginner Fishing self takes....

Name
Gregory
Edit My Images
Yes
Afternoon Folks,

Anyone here Carp anglers? If so please what to you use for your self take photographs :) many thanks

There are far more interesting fish than carp that need self take photography, Perch for one, Grayling another:)

I have used a SLR with cable release
IR remote and bridge camera
Compact digital camera

On every one i used a 10 second timer and multiple shots. The 10 seconds between shots allowed me to check i was in my frame markers and the fish was presented how i wanted it.

In my carp days the EOS500 was the 35mm SLR to use with either a 50mm prime or kit lens set to 50mm. My landing net handle was the correct length to place the camera far enough from the mat that I would be with in the field of view as long as I kept the fish with the the edges of the mat. Using the cable release would allow for focusing although i often would place a bucket where the fish would be and focus on that then lock off in manual focus.
Day is easier than night

I'm not a carp angler, although I have fished for them. I use a camera with a flip out screen and a bulb release attached via a bracket. What the model camera is doesn't matter much so long as it has a built in flash or can accept a speedlight, and it can be set to focus on whatever is closest to the lens (auto focus point selecetion) rather than face detect which can put the fish out of focus - you're photographing the fish, not yourself. ;)

A few tips I've written over the years can be found on my fishing blog - http://blog.lumbland.co.uk/search/label/self-takes

DSC_0650.jpg

Last edited:
I set up my d810 on the tripod where I would like to take the picture, get the camera settings by taking a picture of myself holding a bait bucket. Set the timer to take one picture every four seconds. Leave a mark where the tripod was and I was then when you do catch a fish all you have to do is adjust your settings for the light.
I also use two speed lights if need be and at night set up with a couple of rino beams.
Just keep practicing before you catch the fish, it's something to do in the hours of sitting doing nothing.
IMG_20190426_142522.jpg
Here's one from last year.

Hi Guys, thanks very much for the advice, its hard for me to find the right set up for fishing, I currently have a 50D that i use but I cant seem to find a remote for it to do manual photographs.
However I am after a new camera, with these capabilities

what remote will it take? My canon used a 2.5mm headphone type input. I just bought a 3m extension cable and a pair of 2.5mm to 3.5mm adaptors ran this strait from camera under mat so was out of sight

Back