Five from Hannover Zoo.

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
'Twas a pretty hot day and the sunlight was coming straight down (midday in mid-summer), so a lot of the pics went straight in the bin :(.

Here are five of the ten or so 'keepers' (no 'zoo attendant' pun intended ;)):

1. Ostriches
Ostriches_01_1000.jpg

2. Polar Bear
Polar_Bear_02_1000.jpg

3. Monkey (of some sort)
Monkey_01_1000.jpg

4. Zebras
Zebras_01_1000.jpg

5. Flamingos
Flamingos_03_1000.jpg

Great set. The monkey is Javan Langur I think, love the angle on that one.

Hi, really nice photos. I think the one of the zebra is my favourite, it works very well in black and white :) I also like the flamingos. I think in the first one I would crop the other ostrich out as I find it a bit distracting. Nice set though (y)

Great set. The monkey is Javan Langur I think, love the angle on that one.

Thanks for that info :). At least it gives me a starting point to Google with :naughty:.

The angle resulted from him swinging backwards and forwards on a beam above my head. Certainly a test of my camera's AF performance :D!

Hi, really nice photos. I think the one of the zebra is my favourite, it works very well in black and white :) I also like the flamingos. I think in the first one I would crop the other ostrich out as I find it a bit distracting. Nice set though (y)

Thanks Stephen (y)! I have pretty much the same thoughts as you on all of those, as it happens.

The b&w conversion on the zebras was such an obvious thing to do that I feared it may appear rather 'cliched' :shake:. As it was, the difference between the warm sunlight in the background and the blueish shadows falling over the zebra, meant that the b&w conversion served to remove that distraction. Otherwise, I might not have done it.

I too like the flamingos and was quite excited about capturing that pose (they moved just after I'd taken it ;)).

As for the ostriches, I realised that having OOF foreground objects is generally a bit of a 'no-no' :nono:, but I also shot it with the focus on the other bird and didn't like the fact that there was only eye contact with the blurred bird on the left :|.

I'd be interested to hear what other people think about this one too, as I'm now seriously thinking about cropping it :).

Back