Review Fixation London

Name
Luke
Edit My Images
Yes
Just some observations of a camera service provided by Fixation in Kennington.

A few weeks back I contacted Fixation about doing a service on my 70-200mm VR lens that had some serious focus issues and was told to just send it in. As I live in London I took it down there in person. If you do the same, take careful note of the directions as there is, understandably, no big sign advertising their presence. There is limited parking available, but there were spaces on both my visits.

It's a bit of an odd place as it's a dark and dingy basement, but it is full of pleasant, helpful staff and quite busy with customers (they do sales and rentals too). Warning to anyone who suffers lens envy though....don't visit!! There was some serious stuff on show.

It took a couple of minutes to give my details and book the lens in. I didn't mention the focus problems, just asked for a service as I knew they would check the lens out first and give me an estimate within 48hrs for the work required. I requested contact by email (so I would have a record). This estimate was received within the time and the recommendation was for a service. At a cost of £95 plus VAT, which was the advertised price on the website.

I agreed this and gave them the go-ahead. VERY importantly they tell you that it will take 5-8 working days from when I approve the estimate. BUT this depends on how busy they are with their professional customers ie it may well take longer.

In my case it did take longer, but they kept me informed. On the 7th day they sent an email saying it would be available on the afternoon of the 10th day, and it was.

My second visit just happened to be on a Friday afternoon and it was very busy, they had plenty of staff and I was served very quickly. Though I didn't mind the wait as there were some pro-togs picking up kit and I think I may have been dribbling a bit as they were checking it over:love: I also picked up a new, now discontinued, Lowepro Lens Case 4 for £16.:)

I didn't get a chance to try out the lens until a couple of days ago when I shot an ice hockey match. What a difference! Not one OOF and it kept up easily with the action.

I hope I don't have any other equipment go wrong, but if I do I won't hesitate to take it to Fixation to get it sorted.:clap:

Excellent report :)

I've used them for a few major things now (new D2x mirror box, new D2x hotshoe + regripping) and their service and procedures have been first rate. Prices were fair and time was good. Had both jobs done and retuned within a week of initial posting the items out. Had full contact throughout the process by e-mail.

Would highly recommend them :)

I had the front element replaced on my 100mm macro last year, very helpful staff - it did take longer than expected but that was because there was a delay in Canon supplying the glass. Very reasonable price though - much cheaper than buying another lens- so another vote here for their service. (y)

I've never had any issues besides them bumping up a few of my bills after being quoted but ALOT of photographers in London can't stand them. Black on White in Bristol are however fantastic. Anyone with enough gear for CPS should probably use them too.

I've never had any issues besides them bumping up a few of my bills after being quoted but ALOT of photographers in London can't stand them.

Strange - I've never heard that before. There are cheaper places out there, but when I bought a D3s from them, they threw in 2 free services

Back