Fixing a leaking shed roof

Tringa

Numpty of the Day'
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
We have a small(6' x 4') shed with a pitched roof. The roof is leaking in one place and I'd thought about getting something like this -

to fix the leak, rather than replace the felt.

Does anyone have any experience of this type of product, or similar? Do they work or are they just a false economy?

Thanks

Dave

Depends why the roof has started leaking in than one place. If it's because the felt is old, you can spend a small fortune on patching (especially if you factor in your time doing the bodges!) or spend the money fixing it properly. If it's just to get the felt through this winter, tape it up - there are a fair few products designed for the job.

First thing I would check is have you found the actual leak as opposed to where the water is appearing. Water has an unfortunate habit of getting in at one place (perhaps a nail hole), then running to another before becoming visible.
If the felt is old I would replace it. However, it is not the best time of year for that sort of job, therefore I would slap on the sealer. There is no substitute for a sound roof.
Not used the one in your link, but have used other Everbuild products without a problem (also - Toolstation is a good company with which to deal).

Re felt it, its a lot cleaner than slapping bitchumen or anything else, on it.
I've done mine once in over 20 years and that was only because the twatts pruning next door's tree thought it was OK to stand on the roof while doing so.
They were long gone before I noticed the leak. Got up to investigate the leak and there was a size 10 imprint on the roof!
The felt was split and there was a slight crack near one of the support beams ( hence not noticing it immediately from inside) w******s :(

Thanks for replies, all. Although I don't have any left over felt I'm thinking re-felting will be the better long term option.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for replies, all. Although I don't have any left over felt I'm thinking re-felting will be the better long term option.

Cheers

Dave
Buy the good stuff, don't skimp or your'll be doing it again a couple of years (y)

About 16/17 years ago I covered my shed roof with Coroline. Never had a bit of bother.
I bought it from B & Poo.

I need to replace my shed felt. It only came to light when, in heavy winds, it started to peel off. I quickly tapped some nails in.

Has anyone used EPDM rubber instead? Looks simpler - just glue, lay down, and some sealant between bargeboards and the rubber.

as anyone used EPDM rubber instead? Looks simpler - just glue, lay down, and some sealant between bargeboards and the rubber.
Not personally, but my (ex) next door neighbour swears by it, he put it on his garage roof.
Seemed a quick and easy fit, although he is builder

Back