Flamborough Head Panorama

It's a nice, finely detailed image that works fine as a photo without worry how it was produced. I can understand why you'd want to use multiple images with a crop-sensor camera, even it not strictly necessary.

That's fair enough. I just feel that peoploe sometimes take the technologically complex route to solve a problem when a simpler one would do.
Well it sounds like the complete opposite. He didn't have a focal length and/or vantage point with the available gear so he used technique to produce something that would have otherwise been impossible. Fair play to him.

I think sometimes people take the obliviously condescending route when a more constructive one would do.

I often stitch images. It allows you to select otherwise impossible viewpoints with what ever lens you have to hand.
It is extremely simple to do hand held. And even easier to stitch if you use a pan bracket.
This is a very good first attempt.

However it is not that difficult to do including people, even crowds.

That's fair enough. I just feel that peoploe sometimes take the technologically complex route to solve a problem when a simpler one would do.

It is neither technologically complex nor difficult. And is often the only way to achieve the result you want with the kit you have. And from the chosen viewpoint.

It is certainly avoided by many otherwise experienced photographers because they have not acquired the necessary skill.

While it may or may not have been essential in this particular case, I have no way of knowing. But in any event it was a worthwhile exercise and useful leaning opportunity, with a good outcome.

Unnecessary.
Completely agree. It's unnecessary to talk down when you don't know peoples circumstances or the context that they have worked within. There is always a polite, well mannered and constructive way to say something, it's just a shame when someone uses critique threads to act high and mighty!

With regards to the original picture, I really like the lead in pathway on the right. The person making their way down it was a tiny distraction, but nothing of major interruption. Impressed with getting such a well balanced pano at that focal length. Something I definitely struggle with. It may be me, but one thing that seems to be an issue is that it seems to be slightly on the jont sloping down to the right. I may be wrong, but does seem that way to me. Anyways, great work!

For clarity, the photo was taken at North Landing, Flamborough, getting a decent composition here is awkward and decent vantage points are limited, I tried the single shot approach but it didn't work as well, the scene was too cluttered, hopefully the below attachment demonstrates this, the pano was taken from in front of the bench closest to the lens.

northlanding.JPG

I think sometimes people take the obliviously condescending route when a more constructive one would do.

I'll be honest, I got that impression but chose not to rise to it.

With regards to the original picture, I really like the lead in pathway on the right. The person making their way down it was a tiny distraction, but nothing of major interruption. Impressed with getting such a well balanced pano at that focal length. Something I definitely struggle with. It may be me, but one thing that seems to be an issue is that it seems to be slightly on the jont sloping down to the right. I may be wrong, but does seem that way to me. Anyways, great work!

I didn't actually notice the person until you pointed it out :D

This is the crit section, isn't it?

I don't believe my original comment was out of order in any way, although you may not agree with it.

It's easy to read that first comment as though it were sarcastic, even though I don't think you intended it that way. As a matter of balance, it might have been worth the OP mentioning *why* a multi-shot pano was used alongside the plain statement that the technique had been employed, since that would have headed off potential un-necessary crit.

A panos often the only way if you havent got a wide enough lens, also if yr printing it gives you far more detail to work with...Jerry came across a bit negative to me tbh, maybe lost in translation.
My input on this pano would be to maybe try and take from a different angle so that the horizon isnt so flat, the sea and clifftops follow the same line, imo it would look better, have more effect if you could find a position where the cliff tops broke the horizon. Nice shot tho nonetheless

For clarity, the photo was taken at North Landing, Flamborough, getting a decent composition here is awkward and decent vantage points are limited, I tried the single shot approach but it didn't work as well, the scene was too cluttered, hopefully the below attachment demonstrates this, the pano was taken from in front of the bench closest to the lens.

View attachment 256753

I'll be honest, I got that impression but chose not to rise to it.

I didn't actually notice the person until you pointed it out :D
I have the unholy superpower of finding the most insignificant things to be distracted by! So I would just ignore me on that lol

Back