Flare

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
Yes
Took this the other night during a thunder storm, was just wondering if anyone knew a way to get rid of the horrible lens flare i'm not having much luck
561847_10151161935526885_1379455155_n.jpg

Appreciate the help

Thanks Danny

You could avoid that bright light source dead centre of your shot for starters and if you have a U.V. filter etc on the lens remove it for this type of shot. I would say your bigger issue is the dust on your sensor which looks like it needs a good clean.

You could avoid that bright light source dead centre of your shot for starters and if you have a U.V. filter etc on the lens remove it for this type of shot. I would say your bigger issue is the dust on your sensor which looks like it needs a good clean.

It was a rushed shot, never tried shooting lightening before so just ran across the road with the camera, got no transport atm so couldnt go anywhere.

there was no filter on the lens but i was getting a few spots of rain on the lens which is what i think caused the flare :(

Ah that makes sense and the raindrops may be what appears to be sensor dust as well. If your shooting bright street lighting with more time in the future its always an idea to take off any 3rd party filters if possible, the bright direct highlights generated by this type of shot can cause flare with the addition of the extra glass surface.

Ah that makes sense and the raindrops may be what appears to be sensor dust as well.

I did think that as i shoot with mine at least every weekend (rattling off easily 500+ shots a day) and none of them had any dust on just this one

i really like the shot (and clearly so do all my friends on facebook, shot too over 50 likes in under an hour) but i'm really gutted about the flare on the window/brickwork and was hoping i could recover it in photoshop :(

I'm not on a computer with PS at the moment but looking at the window where the flare is worst it is the same as the window on the house to the left of the lightning, I'd copy it across, then just clone out the rest of the flare with the surrounding bricks.

Think it should be close enough, unfortunately its council housing :( :LOL: thanks will give that a go when i get home tonight :)

Thanks for the input :)

Quick and dirty edit but you get the idea.

Thats perfect!! was that copy/paste the window from my house over the other then clone tool on the brick work? then content aware on the lamp-post? or clone tool again?

Appreciate the time and effort :) thanks alot!

Drag the lasso tool round the window on left then edit/copy and edit/paste, Ctrl+T and drag into position.
Clone tool on brick work with about 60 -80% flow and opacity.
Used variations of same to get rid of street lamp and other bits and pieces around the image in general (flare and light reflections on window frames/sky, square on top left corner) . Finessed a little bit of some of the cloning with the blur brush.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, heres my attempt, what do you think?

Just dropped in and read this thread.

Your sky cloning is quite obvious where the "join" is on the right and bottom. Did you use a soft edged brush? Also you have left some flare behind around the right/bottom area of the window. And theres a big sort of gash in the bricks below the same window. sorry... but you did ask... Practice makes perfect as they say.

sorry... but you did ask... Practice makes perfect as they say.

Indeed, i'll revisit it again tonight and try and sort these mistakes out thanks :)

Back