Flash bracket

cowasaki

TPer Emeritus
Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
Right all you camera experts :)

I am thinking of buying a flash bracket but I didn't want to spend TOO much and found this one which works out £15.90 plus another £19.99 for the flash lead (which I can also use for other things)

Are there any pearls of wisdom from people who have/use these that I might find useful before buying!

I suppose I could use commander mode and trigger the flash without the lead making it even cheaper.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120309916484

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TTL-Remote-Co...48515QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

Makes a note to follow this thread as been looking myself:)

I haven't any experience of that bracket (although personally I'd prefer one with a foam grip), but I have a couple of those cables. I bought mine to modify so I got the cheapies in case I messed up the conversion.

The construction is "okay", it's not fantastic, the plug fitments on the side for connecting other cables/flashes have a habit of pulling out of the casing,but this is only a concern if this is something you are planning to do, otherwise they do the job fine.

On the other hand the real deal is only another tenner....

I haven't any experience of that bracket (although personally I'd prefer one with a foam grip), but I have a couple of those cables. I bought mine to modify so I got the cheapies in case I messed up the conversion.

The construction is "okay", it's not fantastic, the plug fitments on the side for connecting other cables/flashes have a habit of pulling out of the casing,but this is only a concern if this is something you are planning to do, otherwise they do the job fine.

On the other hand the real deal is only another tenner....

I dont think you are supposed to hold this by the bracket hence no foam.
It's meant to be held normally.

most of the more expensive ones seem to have a foam grip, but I suppose it depends on the design. It certainly looks sturdy enough though. I'd be interested in hearing a user report if someone makes a purchase :)

The bracket looks to be extraordinarily good value for money. I too would like to share your experience if you decide to buy one.

I recommend a camera flip bracket rather than this flash flip bracket. If you are bouncing your flash using a flash flip bracket the flash ends up pointing the wrong way when you are in the portrait position and you have to readjust it.

This is really no big problem but just something else to remember and to do AND TO FORGET. Using a camera flip bracket, the flash remains in the same position when you change from horizontal to vertical position.

Here is an example of the one I have and use. It costs a bit more than the one you indicated but, I believe the extra few quid would be well spent.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Flash-Bracket...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

THERE is my foam grip :LOL:

I can recommend that seller too, bought quite a few things from them without any problems (y)

THERE is my foam grip :LOL:

I can recommend that seller too, bought quite a few things from them without any problems (y)

So does it not feel at all unbalanced when you are holding the camera and adjusting the zoom?

I have one each of the eBay flash brackets posted above. My preference by far is for the first one - the very compact one. It does everything it needs to without creating a load of bulk and weight. If you have large/chubby fingers you may find that the space between the camera grip and the framework of the bracket is a bit tight, but there is a little room to adjust the spacing and I have no problem.

I find the larger bracket to be really unwieldy and you run out of hands to adjust the zoom or fine tune manual focus. In portrait orientation, if you release your grip from the frame, and only hold the rig by the camera grip, in order to adjust zoom/focus, then the whole contraption sort of half collapses due to the weight and leverage forces caused by the weight of the flash and the overall mechanical design. When using the left hand to adjust things, it also puts more torsional force on your right hand, which might be bad if you have a wrist complaint (RSI) or tennis elbow, for example.

I find the larger bracket to be really unwieldy and you run out of hands to adjust the zoom or fine tune manual focus. In portrait orientation, if you release your grip from the frame, and only hold the rig by the camera grip, in order to adjust zoom/focus, then the whole contraption sort of half collapses due to the weight and leverage forces caused by the weight of the flash and the overall mechanical design. When using the left hand to adjust things, it also puts more torsional force on your right hand, which might be bad if you have a wrist complaint (RSI) or tennis elbow, for example.

That is what concerns me about the camera flip one.

Its looking more and more likely that I get the one I spotted but buy the genuine nikon flash lead. I will try it without the lead first as it should fire my SB800 via command mode anyway and remove the need for the lead.

Is the shoe-clamp of either adequate?

I use the first one and have used it extensively for event coverage. It is simple, cheap to buy, easy to use and surprisingly well made. The shoe clamp is adequate and effective.

I looked at and tested a fair few alternatives before settling for what was actually the cheapest. It has proven to be durable and very easy to fit and use. Once you have used it a couple of times you are literally swinging the flash over as you rotate the camera and are ready to shoot immediately.

In case you have not guessed, strongly recommended :)

Back