flash choices

digitalfailure

Staff Bog Cleaner 2015
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All

I'm after some advice and discussion on a flashgun for my 20D.

I was considering the speedlite 580ex and the sigma super 500dg, but now Canon have chucked the 430ex into the ring and I could really do with some advice on making the choice as non of them are cheap. :icon_eek:

I know that the 580 is the dogs dangly bits, but I'm not sure I'd use it to the full :whistling

Comments from any owners of the 430 would be great, especially if you can describe how the flash copes with a wide(ish) lens.

Cheers

Digitalfailure

cant reallly help, but im fairly sure just the standard expensive model will do you

I have had a 430EX for about a week now and am very much a flash novice (and DSLR one for that matter) but I'm pretty happy so far.

I decided to go for the 430 rather than the 580 because I can have a ST-E2 and a 430EX for around the same cost of a 580EX. I don't get the same range but I will have a lot more flexibilty in being able to position the flash appropriately (ie on or off camera body). The 430 is also a little smaller, lighter and has better recharge time (mainly due to lower max. power output).

It really depends on what you want to use the flash for and, when comparing the 430 and 580, the distance the objects will be from the camera. Flashguns can have quite a defined beam closeup hence the popularity of the sto-fen products which effectively widen the flash coverage but obviously reduce its maximum range as a result. The 430 has a built-in wide panel (diffuser) that supposedly provides coverage for lenses down to 14mm. I have used this at 18mm and got coverage to the edges but found the pictures to be a little too hot in the middle although this was to be expected as some of the objects (dance group) were fairly close to me.

I'm sure if you described your expected flash use then others would be able to provide better guidance.

Regards

Mark

NB. A new sto-fen diffuser is being developed for the 430EX. Its part number will be OM-EW and hopefully it should be available in a month or two.

Thanks for the replies :icon_cool

I'll only ever use the flash for general indoor shooting really, christmas parties,birthdays etc.

So anything between 6ft to 30odd ft would probably be the average range.

My fave lens is the 17/40 L so coverage at the wide end of that is needed. The onboard flash doesn't sit high enough to clear the lens :(

a 550ex or a 430ex would seem ideal......i'm swaying towards the 430 at the moment because I read that it can adjust to the 20D's sensor size and read the colour temp from the camera.

A wee update

I went into my local camera shop and had a fiddle with the 580,550 and the 430 today.

The 580 is everything you could want from a flash.....but it also wanted the entire contents of my wallet :shock: , that was something the wife wouldn't give into :nunu:

The 550 was also good, but I decided to opt for the 430Ex mainly because of the better integration with the 20d's control system.
I doubt I'd ever use a flash to fire slave units, so that feature on the 550 and 580 were pointless for me.

I just need to get hold of some high powered Nimh batteries now to use it :banana:

Back