Flash compatibility

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I've currently got a wanted post on here for either a MK320 OR NW320 flash in Sonys Multi-interface mount.

I'm needing this to use in manual mode only. As I'm only needing it to be used in manual mode, will a flash from a Canon/Nikon be usable on a Sony camera?

It should work, as it's just the main central hotshoe connection that is needed for non-ttl flash. But given the price of a MK320, why not just buy a Sony one anyway? I bought one to use with my Nikon Z6 as a 'travel' flash; it's actually surprisingly good for such a small, cheap flash unit. The odd glitch where it doesn't communicate with the camera properly, but switching both off and on again sorts it out. Tbh I was expecting it to be rubbish, but it's not.

Unlike Sony's previous hot shoe designs the Multi-interface is compatible with standard flash units, so Canon/Nikon models will get the correct trigger signal.
If the flash you're intending to use is an older model there is a significant chance it might use a trigger voltage higher than your camera can handle.
IIRC 5V is the trigger voltage that's guaranteed for all modern cameras, and upto 24V is generally considered a reasonably safe bet. Some of my older units use trigger voltages over 150V which will fry modern cameras.

Like @AZ6 I've been quite impressed with how well the MK320 works for it's price. It does what I need more than 90% of the time, but there are times when I want more power, faster recharge or a modified spectral range :wideyed:

As already mentioned, the Sony MIS shoe is mostly compatible with the 'standard' - but sometimes a 'standard' unit can mis-align (due to the extra set of pins on the front) making firing intermittent.
I have the Neewer NW320 on my A6000, and it's perfect for what I want - small and light, but a step up from the built in flash.

A non-Sony-fit flash will usually work with a Sony camera but may need careful alignment as already mentioned. But the Sony shoe and foot are very slightly wider than standard so I've never managed to fit a Sony-fit flash on another brand of camera. Probably deliberate by Sony to protect that delicate row of contacts at the front of the foot.

Back