flash compensation.......

What I would expect provided the flash/camera combination are used within their capabilities (e.g. not bouncing too far or too close to subject with wide aperture and high ISO) and shiny objects don't confuse the metering.

what effect does it have on your shots if you dial in say,-1 or +1?

thanks in advance

Not sure I understand Photon's comment - so I'll try to answer this one

If you are balancing flash with daylight, then the default setting on your flash tries to match the amount of light it emits to the background light levels

i.e. if the general scene needs f11 your flash's output will try to light the closest subject to f11 too - this is useful where a person is darker than the scene behind them

+1 will make the flash output go to f16 in this example, so overpowering the light from behind your subject - this has some useful effects for dramatic off-camera flash

-1 will try to subtly add fill-flash, set to f5.6 in this example - so it tries to light the subject a bit but not overly obvious

If flash is the main light source, then +1 or -1 is used to get a correct exposure where your subject is either very light or very dark; in the same way without flash you'd use exposure compensation to photograph snow or black subjects on dark backgrounds

HTH

:shrug:

DD

Not sure I understand Photon's comment - so I'll try to answer this one

If you are balancing flash with daylight, then the default setting on your flash tries to match the amount of light it emits to the background light levels

i.e. if the general scene needs f11 your flash's output will try to light the closest subject to f11 too - this is useful where a person is darker than the scene behind them

+1 will make the flash output go to f16 in this example, so overpowering the light from behind your subject - this has some useful effects for dramatic off-camera flash

-1 will try to subtly add fill-flash, set to f5.6 in this example - so it tries to light the subject a bit but not overly obvious

If flash is the main light source, then +1 or -1 is used to get a correct exposure where your subject is either very light or very dark; in the same way without flash you'd use exposure compensation to photograph snow or black subjects on dark backgrounds

HTH

:shrug:

DD

thanks dave..that explains it perfectly (y)

PS..i didn't understand photon's answer either...no offence intended photon.

Stan, I assumed you asked because you weren't getting the results you expected.

Otherwise, as you have a flash (and no offence intended ;)) I don't know why the question was asked.

Stan, I assumed you asked because you weren't getting the results you expected.

Otherwise, as you have a flash (and no offence intended ;)) I don't know why the question was asked.

hi mate...i asked as my camera (sony A350)has flash compensation in the menu section,but the handbook doesn't explain the why's and what for's...

i do have a flash,but i'm not familiar with all of it's foibles etc...

perhaps it's my fault for not making myself clearer in my original question :bonk:.i also have my brothers wedding to shoot this weekend,so all the help i can get is very much welcome ;)

stan

Back