1. oohweewee

oohweewee

Edit My Images:
    No
    What EXACTLY do they do and what are the benefits? Any brand recommendations would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Ross

Ross

Edit My Images:
    No
  3. oohweewee

oohweewee

Edit My Images:
    No
    I've decided to invest in a Canon 430EX II unit for my 400D; will the 'Sto-Fen OM-EW Bounce Flash Diffuser' be suitable for nightclub and paparazzi work?

4. oldfella

oldfella

Name:
    john
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I myself use a cut up neon light diffuser as used in offices. Just about finishing a twin front flash for indoor macro work. It has cut to size panels in front of the strobe tubes.

5. Green Li

Green Li

Edit My Images:
    No
    Hi,

Sto-Fen may not be the best choice for "paparazzi work". It only woks good when there are many surfaces to bounce off.

For more flexibility you might want to consider Demb Flip-it! flash reflector
    [​IMG][​IMG]

If you want even more control, then consider PRESSlite Vertex diffuser
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Hope this helps.

6. oohweewee

oohweewee

Edit My Images:
    No
    My lovely new 430EX II arrived today. I've spotted a slide-out device that shields the flash; I'm presuming this acts as a diffuser? Any good??

7. malla1962

malla1962

Edit My Images:
    No
    Its a wide angle panel.

8. oohweewee

oohweewee

Edit My Images:
    No
    What exactly does that do then? :shrug:

9. CanonSax

CanonSax

Name:
    Peter Buckley-Saxon
    Edit My Images:
    No
    It spreads (diffuses) the light to provide even light over the extremes of wide angle lenses.

10. Slipper-one

Slipper-one

Name:
    Russell
    Edit My Images:
    No
  11. oohweewee

oohweewee

Edit My Images:
    No
    Thanks for your help guys! In that case, It looks like I will have to invest in a diffuser then. Here's a 'Sto-Fen OM-EW Omni Bounce' diffuser; I'm presuming this one would suit my 430EX II flash unit? Is this the best for pap use and nightclub photography??

[​IMG]

12. Flash In The Pan

Flash In The Pan

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    A Stofen is only really useful indoors, A Demb Flip It! or this rip-off would be better for pap work

13. oohweewee

oohweewee

Edit My Images:
    No
    Yes I believe so - someone else recommended a similar contraption; it's just a bit big and delicate looking. How about for nightclub stuff?

14. Flash In The Pan

Flash In The Pan

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Probably a Stofen, or one of those Gary Fong things - if you don't mind looking like a rep for Tupperware :LOL:

15. photon

photon Junior Member

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The Fong is too heavy for nightclubs. You can rotate the flash head so it won't flop forward but then you run the risk of breaking the flash at its foot.

Use a plain white postcard, index card or section cut from a white plastic container and attach it to the flash with a rubber band or self-adhesive Velcro. The manufactured equivalents such as the Flip-it look better and can be better in portrait orientation.

16. DavePaliwoda

DavePaliwoda

Name:
    David Paliwoda
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Of all the times I've drunkenly stumbled around the student night club, the tog in there has a stofen practically glued to the front of his flash, so worth a shot (and worth being in your kit bag either way, light, small and effective)

17. photon

photon Junior Member

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    [​IMG]

18. Lensflare

Lensflare

Name:
    Simon Everett
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    oohweewee......RTFM

19. oohweewee

oohweewee

Edit My Images:
    No
    Awesome, thanks guys and the mag' scan is a GREAT example - thanks again photon. As for 'RTFM' - well, thanks to this helpful bunch I don't have to. 'LOL'.

20. smooth

smooth Threebrows

Name:
    Matt
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I have the 'Fong' and I love it. the results are clear above in Photons post.

Mind you I do look a right plonker when using it - bah well no change to normal there then!

Seriously though - it is HUGE but it all depends on how you feel and your personal opinions on its worth.

21. photon

photon Junior Member

Edit My Images:
    Yes
  22. Janice

Janice

Name:
    Janice
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    In those diagrams they have fong and the omnibounce on a flash facing upwards but the Lumiquest (like I have) facing forwards.

What would happen if the Lumiquest was bounced upwards like the other two?

23. oohweewee

oohweewee

Edit My Images:
    No
    Although I think I'll eventually be investing in the Sto-Fen product, I desperately need something for an event tomorrow night. Problem is, nobody has one in stock and my local Jessops branch only have the sock-like Universal Diffusers at £5 each - any good?

[​IMG]

24. whiteflyer

whiteflyer

Name:
    Mark
    Edit My Images:
    No

The cheaper version of the demb-flip, would be to buy a sheet of funky foam and build yourself a better bounce card

25. HoppyUK

HoppyUK

Name:
    Richard
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I have one of these stuffed in the corner of my bag. It works fine, just like the Stofen in post #11. Doesn't look too professional though, and it slips off, and I've never actually used it! I much prefer my Lumiquest but that is big and not really robust enough if you're jossling with people.

Whenever you see a group of photographers elbow to elbow outside Number 10 or somewhere, they usually have Stofens.

26. Oxygen

Oxygen

Name:
    Nathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Interesting link and a good idea, but come on... 18mins to explain how to cut a piece of card and then charge for it? That's just crazy. DIY for the win. :D

27. HoppyUK

HoppyUK

Name:
    Richard
    Edit My Images:
    No
    That guy is funny! :) He actually talks a lot of sense about flash lighting, and the Better Bounce Card he demonstates - a small piece of card and a lacky band - will give great results if you're shooting people indoors with a nice ceiling to bounce off. Just as good as that Fong thing, but doesn't waste as much light, and at zero cost.

28. Big_Ham

Big_Ham

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    If you're really skint just get some white toilet roll/tissue and wrap that around it with an elastic band. Looks crap, but it does the job.

29. oohweewee

oohweewee

Edit My Images:
    No
    I've just picked up one of those universal diffusers from Jessops as a temporary measure; the bloke in there said there's little difference?!?!

30. c_robinson

c_robinson

Name:
    charlie robinson
    Edit My Images:
    No
    a couple of rizzla rolling (smoking) papers will do the job if needed, not great but better than nowt!

31. oohweewee

oohweewee

Edit My Images:
    No
    Are you serious? That's crazy.

32. Ric Type R

Ric Type R

Name:
    Eric Edwards
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Just bought a Microglobe one Gary Fong ripoff, Taken a couple of test shots seems to work very well quite impressed.

33. Tyke Tiler

Tyke Tiler

Name:
    Tomas
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Yeah :LOL: Why do the work when others will do it for you? :LOL:

Sorry if this sounds a little blunt but I fail to grasp the nurturing of ignorance.

Read the manual. It will help you if you encounter an issue whilst out and about you hadn't previously thought about asking folk on here.

It's beneficial for you to understand the gear that you wish to use and how to use it.

You seem to ask an awful lot of the same questions and sometimes more than once.
    I really don't want to sound harsh but that will only do you some harm somewhere along the line.:

Don't get me wrong, I encourage anyone to ask a question if they do not understand something but at least try to do as much as you can as well, like read a manual, read a product description, read the thousands of articles available online, it's really only going to benefit you.

34. oohweewee

oohweewee

Edit My Images:
    No
    Thanks Tom, I appreciate your advice and will almost certainly take it on-board (including those tips you posted in response to my nightclub photography questions). I have been reading suitable documentation and to be perfectly honest, I only post questions here because I get understandable answers. I'm merely and super keen amateur. PEACE. :geek:

35. Tyke Tiler

Tyke Tiler

Name:
    Tomas
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Good on yer then! (y)

36. oohweewee

oohweewee

Edit My Images:
    No
    The £5 Universal Diffuser I purchased from Jessops worked impressively well in a night club. ;)

[​IMG]