Flash diffusers - ?

Edit My Images
No
What EXACTLY do they do and what are the benefits? Any brand recommendations would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I've decided to invest in a Canon 430EX II unit for my 400D; will the 'Sto-Fen OM-EW Bounce Flash Diffuser' be suitable for nightclub and paparazzi work?

I myself use a cut up neon light diffuser as used in offices. Just about finishing a twin front flash for indoor macro work. It has cut to size panels in front of the strobe tubes.

I've decided to invest in a Canon 430EX II unit for my 400D; will the 'Sto-Fen OM-EW Bounce Flash Diffuser' be suitable for nightclub and paparazzi work?

Hi,

Sto-Fen may not be the best choice for "paparazzi work". It only woks good when there are many surfaces to bounce off.

For more flexibility you might want to consider Demb Flip-it! flash reflector
demb-flip-it-flash-reflector-9.jpg
demb-flip-it-flash-reflector-2.jpg

If you want even more control, then consider PRESSlite Vertex diffuser
presslite-vertex-8.jpg
presslite-vertex-6.jpg

Hope this helps.

My lovely new 430EX II arrived today. I've spotted a slide-out device that shields the flash; I'm presuming this acts as a diffuser? Any good??

Thanks for your help guys! In that case, It looks like I will have to invest in a diffuser then. Here's a 'Sto-Fen OM-EW Omni Bounce' diffuser; I'm presuming this one would suit my 430EX II flash unit? Is this the best for pap use and nightclub photography??

31-v7puGQzL._SS500_.jpg

Yes I believe so - someone else recommended a similar contraption; it's just a bit big and delicate looking. How about for nightclub stuff?

Probably a Stofen, or one of those Gary Fong things - if you don't mind looking like a rep for Tupperware :LOL:

The Fong is too heavy for nightclubs. You can rotate the flash head so it won't flop forward but then you run the risk of breaking the flash at its foot.

Use a plain white postcard, index card or section cut from a white plastic container and attach it to the flash with a rubber band or self-adhesive Velcro. The manufactured equivalents such as the Flip-it look better and can be better in portrait orientation.

Of all the times I've drunkenly stumbled around the student night club, the tog in there has a stofen practically glued to the front of his flash, so worth a shot (and worth being in your kit bag either way, light, small and effective)

Awesome, thanks guys and the mag' scan is a GREAT example - thanks again photon. As for 'RTFM' - well, thanks to this helpful bunch I don't have to. 'LOL'.

I have the 'Fong' and I love it. the results are clear above in Photons post.

Mind you I do look a right plonker when using it - bah well no change to normal there then!

Seriously though - it is HUGE but it all depends on how you feel and your personal opinions on its worth.

In those diagrams they have fong and the omnibounce on a flash facing upwards but the Lumiquest (like I have) facing forwards.

What would happen if the Lumiquest was bounced upwards like the other two?

Although I think I'll eventually be investing in the Sto-Fen product, I desperately need something for an event tomorrow night. Problem is, nobody has one in stock and my local Jessops branch only have the sock-like Universal Diffusers at £5 each - any good?

AJESSCA215116637.jpg

Although I think I'll eventually be investing in the Sto-Fen product, I desperately need something for an event tomorrow night. Problem is, nobody has one in stock and my local Jessops branch only have the sock-like Universal Diffusers at £5 each - any good?

AJESSCA215116637.jpg

I have one of these stuffed in the corner of my bag. It works fine, just like the Stofen in post #11. Doesn't look too professional though, and it slips off, and I've never actually used it! I much prefer my Lumiquest but that is big and not really robust enough if you're jossling with people.

Whenever you see a group of photographers elbow to elbow outside Number 10 or somewhere, they usually have Stofens.

The cheaper version of the demb-flip, would be to buy a sheet of funky foam and build yourself a better bounce card

That guy is funny! :) He actually talks a lot of sense about flash lighting, and the Better Bounce Card he demonstates - a small piece of card and a lacky band - will give great results if you're shooting people indoors with a nice ceiling to bounce off. Just as good as that Fong thing, but doesn't waste as much light, and at zero cost.

If you're really skint just get some white toilet roll/tissue and wrap that around it with an elastic band. Looks crap, but it does the job.

I've just picked up one of those universal diffusers from Jessops as a temporary measure; the bloke in there said there's little difference?!?!

a couple of rizzla rolling (smoking) papers will do the job if needed, not great but better than nowt!

Just bought a Microglobe one Gary Fong ripoff, Taken a couple of test shots seems to work very well quite impressed.

Awesome, thanks guys and the mag' scan is a GREAT example - thanks again photon. As for 'RTFM' - well, thanks to this helpful bunch I don't have to. 'LOL'.

Yeah :LOL: Why do the work when others will do it for you? :LOL:

Sorry if this sounds a little blunt but I fail to grasp the nurturing of ignorance.

Read the manual. It will help you if you encounter an issue whilst out and about you hadn't previously thought about asking folk on here.

It's beneficial for you to understand the gear that you wish to use and how to use it.

You seem to ask an awful lot of the same questions and sometimes more than once.
I really don't want to sound harsh but that will only do you some harm somewhere along the line.:

Don't get me wrong, I encourage anyone to ask a question if they do not understand something but at least try to do as much as you can as well, like read a manual, read a product description, read the thousands of articles available online, it's really only going to benefit you.

Yeah :LOL: Why do the work when others will do it for you? :LOL:

Sorry if this sounds a little blunt but I fail to grasp the nurturing of ignorance.

Read the manual. It will help you if you encounter an issue whilst out and about you hadn't previously thought about asking folk on here.

It's beneficial for you to understand the gear that you wish to use and how to use it.

You seem to ask an awful lot of the same questions and sometimes more than once.
I really don't want to sound harsh but that will only do you some harm somewhere along the line.:

Don't get me wrong, I encourage anyone to ask a question if they do not understand something but at least try to do as much as you can as well, like read a manual, read a product description, read the thousands of articles available online, it's really only going to benefit you.

Thanks Tom, I appreciate your advice and will almost certainly take it on-board (including those tips you posted in response to my nightclub photography questions). I have been reading suitable documentation and to be perfectly honest, I only post questions here because I get understandable answers. I'm merely and super keen amateur. PEACE. :geek:

Thanks Tom, I appreciate your advice and will almost certainly take it on-board (including those tips you posted in response to my nightclub photography questions). I have been reading suitable documentation and to be perfectly honest, I only post questions here because I get understandable answers. I'm merely and super keen amateur. PEACE. :geek:

Good on yer then! (y)

Back