Flash diffusers

Name
Melissa
Edit My Images
Yes
What are peoples thoughts on flash diffusers ? Essential piece of kit ? If so what makes models etc. I've read about Gary Fong and looks like a useful if not large piece of kit.

I have a last minute wedding on 20th Dec at 3 in the afternoon, so the light (and weather probably) will be tricky to say the least. The Chapel itself is well lit but would like to venture outside for the B&G shots (again weather dependant). I have 2 Canon 420 flash units and an off camera kit (not pocket wizards) but have not used them ( the off camera kit) , so am not too confident.
Would a Gary Fong work well in the circumstances.

Thanks

All flash diffusers work by spreading the light around so it can bounce off the ceiling and surrounding walls. It's the bounced component that does the lion's share of the work so they're highly dependent on the environment.

The Fong LS works well in some circumstances, though cumbersome. My favourite on-camera flash accessory is the Lumiquest Quik Bounce. It works better than most, in a wider variety of situations, is fast, easy, and folds down flat. Here http://store.lumiquest.com/lumiquest-quik-bounce/ And BTW, Lumiquest videos are honest and helpful.

But the most important thing by far is to understand how light works and then fit that to the situation. Get this book, Speedliter's Handbook by Syl Arena http://www.amazon.co.uk/Speedliters...85466309&sr=1-1&keywords=speedliters+handbook Meanwhile, get practising. Check the venue, and hope it has a normal height white ceiling. Try a simple bounce card - white card about the size of your hand attached to the back of the flash with a rubber band. It's at least 90% as good as most expensive attachments, summat like this http://www.abetterbouncecard.com/ Bear in mind that this whole area is widely misunderstood by newcomers and hence most product marketing is awash with more BS than a whole herd of Aberdeen Angus, with the principle aim of making money. Gary Fong is the acknowledged master of that :D

Many thanks for that...I do actually have a "bounce card" and a little soft box type thing...somewhere...so may just have to dig them out and practice.

I use a Lightsphere they are a bit large but for higher ceilings just take the dome off. i find it does what it says on the tin. if you google gary fong he has some videos may help you decide

I've got a Fong and it works pretty well, it's just that I feel such a Dick when using it. (Apologies to any Richards)

Edit :
The Censors got me - no need to apologise to Richards now.

Last edited:
I got a Lightsphere copy of Amazon, and it's not bad. However I recently bought a S/H Demb Flip-it from the classifieds here, and I've found I prefer it much more than the lightsphere. I realise that it sort of serves a different purpose than an actual diffuser, but I can't see myself going back to the Fong copy.

The Flip-it, Flash Bender, and Black Foamie Thing (google it) are all good examples of how important the environment and knowledge/technique are - they can all be very effective when used right, or pretty useless when used wrong.

Flip-it is just a more convenient and more versatile version of a basic bounce card*. Flash Bender works in much the same way, but is even more flexible (in every sense) and also makes a passable mini-softbox with the diffuser front added. BFT works by blocking all direct light from the flash, so is 100% dependent on the environment.

The advantage of the LQ Quik Bounce is you don't have to think too much about adjustment, plus speed and ease of use. Indoors with a white ceiling, open the flaps; if the ceiling is a bit higher, zoom the flash head to max; outdoors, night or day, close the flaps.

* The ultimate bounce card is probably the Presslite Vertex, though you need to scratch your head a bit setting it up http://photo-tips-online.com/review/presslite-vertex-flash-reflector/

Another plus one for the rogue flashbender and diffusion panel. Nice versatile bit of kit.

S

Back