Flash Equipment confusion

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys

I have had a read of the strobist 101 blog and have put into my wish list an umbrella and a stand with flash head. The bit I'm confused about is how to make the flash fire when off camera. There is talk about cables and transmitters and sync cords and whilst I understand the theory, I don't know what I actually need to get

Does anyone have any linkies to what i will require to hook up my flash to my camera as I don't want to be wasting money having a play with flash as I'm not really sure if this is my thing or not. I have a 5D 3 and a 600D if that's any help. The Strobist website said about getting cabled first, but not sure what you guys think.

Here is a link to my flash. Its not the best in the world but it has done its job to date.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-Speedlite-Camera-High-Speed-Cameras/dp/B00F5JE87M/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1422453263&sr=1-1&keywords=Neewer® NW680/TT680 Speedlite Flash E TTL Camera Flash High-Speed Sync for Canon 5D MARK 2 6D 7D 70D 60D 50DT3I T2I and other CANON DSLR Cameras

Probably the easiest way to get started is to get a youngnuo ctr302p transmitter and reciever.. they work well and are cheap as chips. You can also get extra recievers for additional flash guns.
They allow you to set the cameras and flashes manually for maximum controll.
you would also be able to use them equally well with a mixed assortment of flash guns.
they are simple and reliable.

Speedy :D

Thanks. I will have a look later on tonight when I get home and maybe put them on my wish list until I have enough to make use of my Amazon prime free 30 day trial (unless they are cheaper elsewhere of course - im thinking eBay)

Speedy :D

Thanks. I will have a look later on tonight when I get home and maybe put them on my wish list until I have enough to make use of my Amazon prime free 30 day trial (unless they are cheaper elsewhere of course - im thinking eBay)
Got mine on ebay

Not sure which triggers Terry is referring to there, but best bet for manual-only triggers (you have to set the power for correct exposure manually) is probably Yongnuo 603 II. Or for full E-TTL control, Yongnuo 622. Amazon or e bay.

Just get the the 622's you will not be disappointed. Also get the Tx
What Gary and Richard said. Even in manual it's a boon to be able to control flash power from the camera position.

Bit the bullet and gone for the 622's. Added to my wishlist to purchase at a later date.

Cheer guys

Back