flash for canon 40d

Name
Lewis
Edit My Images
No
Hi I'm looking for a flash for a canon 40d. I am looking at a nissin di622 mark ll. Which seems good for the cost. Has any one used one and is it any good or could you recommend an alternative for about the same price.
Please note I am a beginner.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Lewis, the Di622mk2 is a good all round performer and builds upon the mk1, which was awarded Digital SLR Photography 'Best Buy' back in October 2009. Looking at the price too, I'll think you'll be hard pushed to find another unit with so much to offer.
Rob

Thanks for that rob. It seems a good choice. I think I will go for that. Thanks for the advice.

I'd also look at a 430ex - not quite as fully featured - but a bit more robust and better supported longer term

I've had a Nissin Di622 MkI and I only sold it when I updated to a Canon 60D and a 650D for the wife. It needed a firmware update to be fully compatible and I couldn't find anywhere local to do it. The MkII is compatible with all the current models AFAIK, I've used one on my 5D3 and it worked very well.

I've also got a Nissin Di866 MkI and a MkII that are also excellent. I mostly use them as off camera flashes triggered by my 580EX II, but the Di866's are fantastic on camera flashes too. I use the MkII on my 7D, my 580EX II on my 5D3 and the wife has the Di866 MkI for her 650D so we're well covered. The 580EX II is probably the best flash I've got as it's fully compatible with all the features on my 5D3 and 7D but the Nissin's are close despite being about half the price.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I have ordered the nissin di622. It was also what the sales advisor recommend. So thanks for all your help.

Back